Civil Liberties Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:52:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Civil Liberties Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Civil Liberties Amendment  (Read 4827 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2004, 07:17:42 PM »

I know as President I can no longer propose legislation but I would like for the Senate to hear this Civil Liberties Amendment, Niles and I spoke of a proposed amendment and drafted one.

The Civil Liberties Amendment
Amendment III shall hereby be revised to state:

Clause 1:  No agency of government shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Clause 2: No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Clause 3: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Clause 4: Private property shall not be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Clause 5: No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger.

Clause 6: No person shall be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb.

Clause 7: No person shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself.

Clause 8: In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the region wherein the crime shall have been committed, which region shall have been previously ascertained by law.  If a trial does not occur within one month of the accusation due to lack of evidence or otherwise, the trial will be thrown out of court and the accused will be declared innocent of the crime.

Clause 9:  The accused shall be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Clause 10:  Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Clause 11:  In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Clause 12:  The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Clause 13:  The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Clause 14:  The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 07:18:58 PM »

Clause 8 is a killer for me.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 07:27:45 PM »

I think we can learn from real-life experiences. Clause 8 must be made clearer. I support this amendment, although I think it should be as detailed as possible to avoid further controversy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 07:31:35 PM »

Clause 14 needs to be expanded more.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 07:36:14 PM »

Senators, this is in your hands now, if you will take it to the Senate floor. You must be the ones to work it to an acceptable level and pass it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 06:36:07 AM »

Our justice system consists only of the Supreme Court. Our regions (not states - we don't have these as government entities) don't have judicial powers.
This text is more relevant to America than to the Atlas.
Patunia
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 08:29:01 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2004, 08:30:59 AM by Patunia »

Apologies for posting here. Was a mistake. Please remove.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 09:00:12 AM »

Our justice system consists only of the Supreme Court. Our regions (not states - we don't have these as government entities) don't have judicial powers.
This text is more relevant to America than to the Atlas.

I did miss that "states" reference; it should have read "regions."  This is certainly all in pencil; as Senator Akno21 has said before, we need not emulate the American system when we can exceed it.

But in this case, catching up to the American Bill of Rights is preferable.  One unlucky crop of Senators and President is all that separates us from a draconian [if fantasy] police state in a number of dimensions--and the courts don't yet have a Constitution equipped to do anything about it.

It's a decent platform that can be built upon and tweaked by future generations of Atlasians who wish to delve in earnest into the individual issues herein.  Trying to make each and every item in this list perfect right now is the surest way I can think of to kill the initiative stone dead.

Familiarity with the text was thought to have been advantageous in building a sufficient consensus so the dialogue of civil rights for the Atlas Fantasy Forum has a reference point.

Clause 8 was a fusion of the antique American clause and provision of 1 month-justice in the Atlas constitution.  The Atlas constitution had some room for improvement, "Those guilty of a crime..." instead of "Those accused of a crime...."  (There are a number of verbal clarity issues that ought not to reside in the Highest Law of the Land.)
I didn't include the public poll business, as I thought it was a method that could be legislated...and replaced with legislation when it needed to be somewhere down the road.  I agree many things in the Constitution are better deferred to legislation.

This isn't a banner I'm in a position to wave right now given my job title--just some old business, musings really, we leave in the hands of the Atlasian eldars to pursue at their discretion.  It was my hope to present it in such a fashion that their job was made easier if they chose to do so--but I'm certainly not under the impression it's above tweaking to meet the needs of the Forum.

Just something for the future session of Congress to chew if they're interested--basically a decent contribution to the Constitution, not terribly controversial, and easy to pass publically.

And something for folks to feel good about!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 11:01:57 AM »

Yeah, right and true.
Clauses eight, eleven and fourteen are the ones that include phrases clashing with what I think the Atlas is and consists of.
The rest I support several 100%
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 04:47:33 PM »

I'd recommend this being split into several amendments.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 04:49:52 PM »

I'd recommend this being split into several amendments.

It is an amendment to the same piece of the constitution, the third Amendment. Also Harry, please set up a vote to confirm Ernest as Attorney General.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2004, 11:12:42 AM »

Bump! Whatever happened to this?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2004, 12:39:05 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2004, 07:43:08 PM by Senator Harry, PPT-Senate »

It must have gotten lost into the deep darkness.  Anyhow, I suppose we can debate on this now.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2004, 05:52:09 PM »

I hereby propose the following constitutional amendment to be considered by the senate of the United Regions of Atlasia.

The Civil Liberties Amendment
Amendment III shall hereby be revised to state:

Clause 1:  No agency of government shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Clause 2: No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Clause 3: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Clause 4: Private property shall not be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Clause 5: No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger.

Clause 6: No person shall be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb.

Clause 7: No person shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself.

Clause 8: In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the region wherein the crime shall have been committed, which region shall have been previously ascertained by law.  If a trial does not occur within one month of the accusation due to lack of evidence or otherwise, the trial will be thrown out of court and the accused will be declared innocent of the crime.

Clause 9:  The accused shall be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Clause 10:  Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Clause 11:  In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Clause 12:  The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Clause 13:  The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Clause 14:  The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 03:02:13 PM »

Is there some kind of conspiracy to ignore this?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 04:47:02 PM »

As long as the second paragraph of clause 8 is part of the
amendment i will not vote for this.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 06:56:46 PM »

Clause 12 needs to be fully explained. If we don't really define these clauses now, then we will face the same problems the real USA has of interpreting amendments like these.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 09:14:44 PM »

Is there some kind of conspiracy to ignore this?

well, i'll talk. Basically, this document isn't really all that good. If it wasn't a historical document of importance to americans, i'd vote it down because there are a HEAP of problems with it. So, I plan to abstain from discussion and voting as of now, in respect for its history but also in respect of my views.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 09:57:22 PM »

I notice that the "well-regulated militia" portion of the "right to bear arms" is conspicuous by its absence.  While the phrase has not well treated historically, I consider it to be a vital part of that right.  Without that penumbric clause, it would be impossible to place any sort of regulatations on the display, presentation or use of any sort of weaponry, including WMD's.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 03:09:34 AM »

I have a problem with Clause 8 as well.  I think there should be no restirctions on time before a case gets thrown out.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 10:51:46 AM »

Well, I hope by offering my thoughts that it's not interpreted as an interest in the outcome.  The nation has gotten by without these civil liberties for this long...it's not like there's a dire necessity.  But I feel obliged to testify before the Senate for as long as it graces its attention upon the draft I plagerized and submitted to the President.

Regarding Clause 8:
Its wording was for the purpose of retaining the frame of time specified in the Atlas constitution!  I didn't want to be the existing rights of the accused when sloppily cutting and pasting this draft.  But I can certainly see how the wheels of justice moving that fast don't necessarilly help the accused.

Regarding Clause 12:
I did omit the phrase thinking it was archaic--and as noted historically abused.  It seems to me the utility of the clause was soley to justify the right and forever after intended to be ignored.  By specifying "militia" versus "personal/home defense" as legitimate "necessities" in the constitution, WMDs have more solid constitutional defense!  By leaving the phrase out, I felt like there was broader room for debate the merits of armed citizenry--and would be that much more likely to settle somewhere saner than reality.

Regarding Senator Hughento's remarks:
Being deprived of your perspective won't help make it any better!  Judging by the staunch judgments, I think it's likely you overlook highly important assets of the American System--at least to America (and that is presumably where Atlasia is at.)  But if you'd rather draft something superior based on some other formula...toss it out there!

Perhaps Senator Harry was right in that these liberties should be passed individually.  A dozen ammendments seems like a tedius chore to me, though, on stuff that isn't REALLY that controversial--being as how we already live it well.  But, it was my impression that this was an obvious (and big) hole needing to be filled in the fantasy constitution, and that doing so would help tie election platforms to real legislation.  Plus the important social issues can play out in fantasy politics to whatever degree the Courts feel like tackling.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2004, 02:55:37 PM »

I won't support this amendment until the portions codifying the Second and Tenth Amendments are removed. I'm fine with the rest of the Constitution.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 04:16:59 PM »

I won't support this amendment until the portions codifying the Second and Tenth Amendments are removed. I'm fine with the rest of the Constitution.
Why, oh why all the hatred on the 2nd ammendment.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2004, 09:21:23 AM »

It's rather anachronistic nowadays. No one really needs to have guns, with the exception of policemen, soldiers, etc. I understand that people like to hunt. But they can always find another hobby, while game wardens can selectively sterilize and perform abortions on animals, which would be just as effective in stemming the tide of population growth.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2004, 09:35:07 AM »

It's rather anachronistic nowadays. No one really needs to have guns, with the exception of policemen, soldiers, etc. I understand that people like to hunt. But they can always find another hobby, while game wardens can selectively sterilize and perform abortions on animals, which would be just as effective in stemming the tide of population growth.

What about self defense?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies