"Mormons are not Christians" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:34:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "Mormons are not Christians" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this statement bigoted?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: "Mormons are not Christians"  (Read 10059 times)
albertagirl
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.65, S: 4.26

« on: July 27, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »

I was just browsing and thought I would add my two bits in...
I think there are some faith based differences between Mormons and what I will call mainstream christians - such as Evangelicals and other denominations.  
I also think that there is a distinct difference between the Mormon faith which makes it impossible for them to be labelled as another Christian denomination.
Here are my arguments on what differentiates these groups:

Mormons will argue that:
 - They are Christians because they believe in Jesus.
- They are Christians because the name of their Church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."
 - Mormons believe they are Christians because they believe in God.

BUT this is the difference: Claiming to believe in Jesus does not make anyone a Christian according to all other denominations.

Having a certain name for a Church does not make anyone a Christian. There are many religious sects which have Biblical names but they are not Christians. The Jehovah's Witnesses, The Way International, and Oneness Pentecostals have Biblical names but they have a different Jesus and a different Gospel. They are, by Biblical definition, non-Christians. What makes a church Christian is not what name they go by, but what they believe concerning the nature of Jesus Christ and the gospel or biblical message.  
This will forever seperate Mormons from other Christian denominations, Catholics, Baptist, Evangelical etc.
albertagirl
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:41:09 PM »

In short:

The reason Mormonism is not Christian is because it denies one or more of the essential doctrines of Christianity. Of the essential doctrines (that there is only one God, Jesus is God in flesh, forgiveness of sins is by grace alone, and Jesus rose from the dead physically, the gospel being the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus), Mormonism denies three of them: how many gods there are, the person of Jesus, and His work of salvation.

I had many mormon friends in high school and they used to tell me about how God is only one of countless gods, that he used to be a man on another planet, that he became a god by following the laws of that god on that world, and that he brought one of his wives to this world with whom he produces spirit children who then inhabit human bodies at birth. Um?Huh Spirit Children??? I rest my case.

albertagirl
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »

Correct Ms Alberta. The reason they are not Christians is because of their belief in "spirit children" and "Xenu". Plus they believe a whole bunch of other space based Godly stuff that sounds like it came right off the Sci-Fi channel.

And welcome to the forum! Glad to see another conservative around here and especially one from outside the US! Smiley

Thanks for the kind welcome.... I am so glad that I am not the only one that holds these thoughts.  I grew up in Calgary and there are so many Mormons there, it drove me insane having to listen to so-called Christians discuss Jesus being brothers with Satan and their holy underwear!

and yes, there is a girl on this forum now...who would have thought?Huh
But surely I can't be the only one?
albertagirl
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:01 PM »

[/quote]
I love Calgary... I'm in that area on vacation every year. Beautiful part of the world.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Smiley  I think so too but I am biased!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies