Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:29:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public)  (Read 4030 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: August 31, 2004, 09:21:16 AM »

This has worked for many years in America, and I do not see why it shan't work here. I'd question the necessity of clause 14, though. It could get out of hand without a complementary necessary and proper clause.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 09:39:20 AM »

Judges are not opinion pollsters, and I might remind you that the majorities of our society lack the training and erudition to decide most legal questions. The Necessary and Proper doctrine has overriden the Tenth Amendment since the decision of McCulloch v. Maryland (1818). Chief Justice Marshall wrote that to list all of the government's powers in the Constitution "would partake of a prolixity of a legal code and could scarcely be embraced by the human mind." I think that question is pretty much settled.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 10:12:47 AM »

The issue presented was one of government's authority in a matter not specifically enumerated by the Constitution. You can deny its applicability because of whatever agenda it is your mission to push, but in reality, that does not change the central nature of McCulloch in this matter. Sorry about the date, but your sarcasm is nevertheless unwarranted.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 10:31:02 AM »

I said that we need to outline a broader interpretation of the federal government's powers so that the states don't hinder necessary national action in a greedy steeplechase to assert their "rights". I also believe that since we have a Constitution wholly separate from the federal one, with aspects of it incorporated selectively, we really needn't take all these things for granted.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies