Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:52:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil Liberties Amendment (for the public)  (Read 4026 times)
Niles Caulder

« on: August 30, 2004, 10:21:49 PM »

I support this amendment and the spirit it represents. Although clause 8 could be removed altogether, or at least remove the time limit line and let congress mandate statutory limits through legislation. And amend clause 14 to read regions instead of states.

Good points, both.  Missed that "states" reference--thought I caught 'em all.

JFK gives me too much credit...this draft is obviously the work of shameless plagerists--but has the virtue of being perhaps better organized.

At any rate, I think that's all the "Caulder Consultancy" projects to hit that I got started before my GMing days...so y'all don't think I Still have TOO much time on my hands!
Niles Caulder

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 10:45:33 AM »

The issue presented was one of government's authority in a matter not specifically enumerated by the Constitution. You can deny its applicability because of whatever agenda it is your mission to push, but in reality, that does not change the central nature of McCulloch in this matter. Sorry about the date, but your sarcasm is nevertheless unwarranted.
It only applies if we decided that this republic lives in a vacuum. But this government (and I suspect the courts as well) draw heavily from the precedents outlined in US history. As such, no resonable person will have such a braod interpritation of clauss 14. I do not deny, and would be surprised if the courts denied, the rights of the federal government to take care of federal matters.

Maryland argued rightly that the language of the 10th amendment grants the states all powers not enumerated in the constitution. But they over looked the fact that national interests are covered in other parts of that document through the power of congress.

Also, you seem to argue against yourself. To say that we need another clause to solidify the positions of the regions and the federal government. While at the same time arguing that the matter has already been interpreted by the US courts. And to imagine that this great republic would interpret it any differently, considering how closely we mirror the US system, is preposterous.

It's not preposterous at all...as this democracy is much more volitile than the one of reality!  This is the Fantasy Forum, and the fun would be in seeing what this or future batches of Supreme Court Justices would do with this issue.  Would they replicate the U.S. interpretation?  Would a stretch of Republican electoral victories cause a reversal?

I'd just like to see the fun of partaking in the fantasy of doing so rather than conducting a debate here about real constitutional law that belongs on the reality boards.  Let's pass this sucker, and refer to Clause 14 instead of Amendment X.  Let's refer to the Historic nailbiting decision of The Federalist League versus the U.A.F. instead of McChullock.  See my point?

This Amendment loses no real ground for anyone on any side of the issues.  It's just (hopefully) an agreeable gameboard for the community to start from.  The precedents of the American historical responses are plausible tactics to repeat.  Variations off that path are just as inviting.  This stuff is a good resource for issues to apply to the Fantasy Elections, and have it mean something more than "Hoorah for Liberals/Conservatives/Whatever!"
Niles Caulder

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 10:47:56 AM »

LOL I see in the previous three posts a convergence that makes my comments superfluous.

But since I'm in love with the sound of my own voice, I'll leave it up.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies