Politically bi-polar
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:03:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Politically bi-polar
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politically bi-polar  (Read 1062 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »

One minute I think we're gonna win...the next I think Obama will win....then I KNOW McCain will win....but then I think how can Obama lose?

I am feeling politically bi-polar.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:20:31 PM »

Heavy heavy medication usually cures this....but in your condition I have no clue. Sorry friend.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:22:17 PM »

Heavy heavy medication usually cures this....but in your condition I have no clue. Sorry friend.

You're still one of my favorite posters HARP.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »

You're still one of my favorite posters HARP.

Smiley Likewise...even though we'll basically never agree on anything political wise haha.

And I have feelings like this all the time. Obama will have a couple of good days..but then again McCain finds a way to come back. I think for right now Obama will be riding high since he won the parties nomination and Clinton has bowed out an endorsed him. Once real campaiging gets going we'll start to see more fluctuations and real numbers.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:29:37 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2008, 09:32:11 PM by Lunar »

I actually think that you're not a minority among politically savvy McCain backers.  It's possible that even McCain's campaign team might go through these cycles as well as we seem to go through alternating positive and negative news cycles for Obama (think victories contrasted with a stubborn Clinton, Wright, Pfleger, working class white troubles, etc).  McCain's team has been putting out electoral/strategic propaganda in the last two days to comfort donors and backers:

I know it's redundant to say this, but the electoral winds and macropolitical factors clearly favor the Democrats.  This is contrasted with the fact that Obama is young, black, and inexperiences while the Republicans have nominated what many argue is the best candidate to beat the Democrats in an anti-Bush electorate.  So, of course as Obama's weaknesses go up and down in our perception, many people go back and forth between his inevitable victory and defeat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2008, 10:01:46 PM by Torie »

One just doesn't know. It's too early. One must learn to live with and accept uncertainty. The other thing is that politicians tend to make less of a difference than one may think, including Presidents. Their range of realistic options is narrower than one might think. If Obama is elected, what actually is enacted into law will be a far cry for [from] his recent economic populist message, which will be DOA. It just won't work, pencil, or happen.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

One just doesn't know. It's too early. One must learn to live with and accept uncertainty. The other thing is that politicians tend to make less of a difference than one may think, including Presidents. Their range of realistic options is narrower than one might think. If Obama is elected, what actually is enacted into law will be a far cry for his recent economic populist message, which will be DOA. It just won't work, pencil, or happen.

One important thing that presidents have total control over is war.... the reason why Obama should be elected. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »

Correct. But Obama is merging into McCain now on Iraq. The range of options going forward given Bush's fecklessness are quite narrow there. If things continue to improve, Obama is not going to upset the apple cart, by doing something really dumb. Obama sounds just like McCain on Iran, Israel, etc. now, putting aside the talk to the perps without preconditions thing, which Obama is now also backing away from. One thing I like about Obama is that he is a pretty cautious man temperamentally. I also don't believe his recent populist rants.

If you invest too much psychological energy into Obama, as some transformational agent, that will mitigate  chronic problems in some fundamental way, if he is elected. you are more likely than not destined to disappointment. Ya, some of this is just the musing of someone with perhaps too many miles on him. So take it for what it is worth!  Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »

Correct. But Obama is merging into McCain now on Iraq. The range of options going forward given Bush's fecklessness are quite narrow there. If things continue to improve, Obama is not going to upset the apple cart, by doing something really dumb. Obama sounds just like McCain on Iran, Israel, etc. now, putting aside the talk to the perps without preconditions thing, which Obama is now also backing away from. One thing I like about Obama is that he is a pretty cautious man temperamentally. I also don't believe his recent populist rants.

If you invest too much psychological energy into Obama, as some transformational agent, that will mitigate  chronic problems in some fundamental way, if he is elected. you are more likely than not destined to disappointment. Ya, some of this is just the musing of someone with perhaps too many miles on him. So take it for what it is worth!  Smiley

Yeah they sound the same on Iran maybe, but how will the actually handle it after the election. I understand the options in Iraq are limited but I talk about it so much because I fear a war in Iran. And the scary part is that Mccain has made a song about bombing Iran to the tune of a beach boy song. So yeah..... I dont know if he is to be trusted. As for the economy I also do not agree with Obama's protectionist tones but I know it is mostly just show. NAFTA will not be dismantled lol and any changes to it will probably be for the better.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »

I feel the same way actually.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »

I used to think like you, but now I believe that this election is solid-safe Obama win.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »

Hey, McCain still has a chance I have to admit. I would not be happy with McCain, but I guess he is bearable unlike Bush. This will be interesting this year, and we will have to see what surprises lie ahead!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 11:47:18 PM »

I feel right now that Obama definitely has the advantage, but I haven't completely given up hope yet. It's a long election season, and if the McCain team is smart, they can win this thing. His fundraising is actually picking up, and combined with the RNC they are nearly even with Obama. A lot can happen in 5 months.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 12:20:19 AM »

I feel right now that Obama definitely has the advantage, but I haven't completely given up hope yet. It's a long election season, and if the McCain team is smart, they can win this thing. His fundraising is actually picking up, and combined with the RNC they are nearly even with Obama. A lot can happen in 5 months.

The RNC has to spend a lot of money protecting their congressional races I believe.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 12:23:18 AM »

The X's primary opponent did well in state Y, so X will do poorly in state Y in the general election is bogus. See Vermont in 2004.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 12:24:37 AM »

Yuck. An AHDukian map.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »

It will be a couple of months before anyone really has any idea about how the election is going to end up. At this point, it's still possible (though unlikely) to have a decent landslide in either direction.

Really, your back-and-forth is just a symptom of ultimately having almost no evidence to base a november election prediction on.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:12:05 AM »

Yeah, Lieberman will win Connecticut for McCain. Ok.....

Speaking of states being said to be in play that clearly aren't, what's with these recent media suggestions that Georgia represents a long shot possibility for Obama? CNN and Fox news have both talked about it lately...someone on Fox said there were 600,000 blacks that weren't registered to vote in Georgia and that Obama can bring them to the polls and make it competitive. It was a bit laughable, to say the least.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 03:25:04 AM »

The X's primary opponent did well in state Y, so X will do poorly in state Y in the general election is bogus. See Vermont in 2004.

Eh. It actually depends on the reason for doing badly in a primary. It can be relevant in some cases.

Nym: if black turnout rises to 100% while white turnout remains steady Obama would not just put Georgia in play. Smiley
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 03:29:59 AM »

Speaking of states being said to be in play that clearly aren't, what's with these recent media suggestions that Georgia represents a long shot possibility for Obama? CNN and Fox news have both talked about it lately...someone on Fox said there were 600,000 blacks that weren't registered to vote in Georgia and that Obama can bring them to the polls and make it competitive. It was a bit laughable, to say the least.

You laugh, but that's exactly how Nader won!  Oh, wait.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies