McCain-Lieberman -- thoughts on this VP selection?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:38:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain-Lieberman -- thoughts on this VP selection?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain-Lieberman -- thoughts on this VP selection?  (Read 1098 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:12:43 AM »

I want to know what everyone thinks about:

1) His chances of being chosen as a VP
2) The impact, both positive and negative, this will bring to the McCain ticket overall.
3) Does Lieberman want it?

Here are mine:

* Lieberman was an early endorser of McCain, works well with him, and probably likes him more than any other politician.  McCan possibly respects him more than 90% of his own Republican colleagues.  Lieberman has been a VP candidate before, as well as a presidential candidate, and this would probably be his main chance to make an impact on American politics as well as his own potential run for the presidency later on.  Lieberman is already scheduled to make a speech at the Republican convention and be the Zell Miller of this year.
* John McCain is facing electoral winds against him and needs to separate himself from Bush.
* Similarly, because he has an uphill battle to climb, McCain will be forced to take risks and has already shown that he is running an unconventional campaign.  McCain is already weaker with the evangelicals than Bush is, which may either provoke him to try and strengthen his support among them (conventional move) or move further to the center and hope enough of them stay aboard to keep his ship afloat (unconventional move).
* Lieberman, outside of the war, is generally center-left and could antagonize McCain's base.
* It is possible that McCain's team will make the argument that this election is more important than certain policy issues like abortion and instead is about having a strong character, being righteous, and having a steady hand.

Electorally, it will make a STRONG argument for McCain being the bipartisan candidate, for McCain being different than Bush, and for McCain being the independent maverick.  He really needs these images.

So everyone knows where my bias is in this, I personally dislike Lieberman for his moralist government-interventionist views (censorship of material he finds offensive) and his support of the war in Iraq.  I don't feel betrayed about his endorsing Obama because I'm not a Democrat and don't care about such things but I'm sure people in this thread will get all uppity about it haha.

Does anyone else besides me think McCain is enough of a risk-taker to ask Lieberman to be his running mate?
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:43:25 AM »

* two people who practically only care about (neo-conservative) foreign policy in an election that will be primarily about domestic issues and the economy

*two incredibly uninspiring and dull campaigners

*is there actually any evidence that independents like Leibermann?

* going from VP nominee for one party to VP nominee for another party in 8 years is not a good look, no matter how you spin it

So in short, please go for it McCain!!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:46:21 AM »

*is there actually any evidence that independents like Leibermann?

* going from VP nominee for one party to VP nominee for another party in 8 years is not a good look, no matter how you spin it

Well, on these two points:

- It doesn't matter whether they like Lieberman or not, there HAS to be at least a fair amount of independents who like the idea of a post-partisan ticket since these are people who chose not to register with either party.

-Well, I don't quite agree. It's much like Obama disavowed his preacher: "these aren't the moderate Democrats I signed up with 8 years ago," and of course "McCain is much closer to my views than Obama."
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:59:25 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It has to be a credible claim though, when we consider the increasing wingnuttery of Leibermann (suggesting Obama may be a Marxist, associating with John Hagee even after McCain rejected him), and the fact that most Americans just don't see the Democratic Party as being 'far-left' like Leibermann sees it. The party in general is more popular than it has been in a long time.

It will be much easier for Democrats to prove that Leibermann has changed rather than the other way. Remember the Republicans must have thought how great it was that Zell Miller was willing to speak out against the dems in 2004 and he ended up embarrassing them.

As regards my point, I think people are always automatically suspicious of someone who makes such an quick and major change in affiliation.
skoods
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »

It's hard to consider Lieberman much of a Democrat anymore. Most of us despise him.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

I don't consider Lieberman much of an american anymore. As far as I'm concerned, Jose Cuervo the illegal who just snuck in from Coahuila, Mexico is ten times the American that Lieberman is.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »

Great, they can campaign with Sophia Loren and Ann-Margret.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 03:54:41 PM »

I don't consider Lieberman much of an american anymore. As far as I'm concerned, Jose Cuervo the illegal who just snuck in from Coahuila, Mexico is ten times the American that Lieberman is.

What?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »

I like Joe, but the only policy they agree on is the war and national security. Outside of that, he's a liberal Democrat. That wouldn't be a very good ticket. He needs a younger Governor or (my choice) mayor Wink to be on the ticket with him. Picking a liberal Jew isn't the best way to shore up the conservatives.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 05:57:56 PM »

Great, they can campaign with Sophia Loren and Ann-Margret.

Ack.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »

While I would absolutely despise this ticket, an aspect thus far unlooked at could be that giving Lieberman the vice-presidency would give the Republicans a senate seat in a year that should be gloomy for GOP senatorial prospects.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »

What?

His loyalties are to Israel and not to America.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »

What?

They are not!
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 06:14:21 PM »

What?

They are not!

Which explains why he is the most pro-Israel man in Congress. Tongue
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 06:23:14 PM »

What?

They are not!

Which explains why he is the most pro-Israel man in Congress. Tongue

He is still loyal to America first.  And I think Eric Cantor is more pro-Israel than he is.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »

I really hope that McCain does select Lieberman.

It will be a clear slap in the face to many people who are supporting McCain only because he's sort of a Republican.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 11:53:51 PM »

McCain / Lieberman would be the ultimate worthless media whore ticket.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies