Obama Campaign: We'll have Staff in all 50 States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:54:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama Campaign: We'll have Staff in all 50 States
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama Campaign: We'll have Staff in all 50 States  (Read 2664 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »

Obama's 50-state strategy: It's official, his campaign will be everywhere

Democrat Barack Obama's deputy campaign manager, Steve Hildebrand, just announced in an e-mail to supporters that the campaign will compete all over the country this fall.

"Today, I am proud to announce that our presidential campaign will be the first in a generation to deploy and maintain staff in every single state," Hildebrand said in the letter.

He said the campaign is seeking 30,000 new donors to make $25 contributions which will be matched today by a previous donor.

Hildebrand acknowledged that "some states will be more competitive than others, and we will scale our resources accordingly."

But he said "unprecedented grassroots energy during the primary means that the list of competitive states will be longer than ever before -- and it will include states like Virginia and Montana that aren't traditionally within reach for a Democratic presidential candidate." He also said that "in every single state, our staff will build volunteer capacity that will provide help where we need it and impact races up and down the ballot this November."

Link

ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:30:27 PM »

Spending money in all 50 states is the definition of absurd. It is a waste of money and it will continue to be a waste of money. I admire the attempts of Obama's campaign to do better in traditionally Republican states, but it is pie in the sky wishful thinking that putting staffers in all 50 states will do anything more than putting staffers in 10 select swing states couldn't do.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:33:54 PM »

If Obama thinks he will capture states like Wyoming, Kansas, Montana etc., he is truly absurd.  If he had any brains at all, he would focus his money on the swing states.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »

Spending money in all 50 states is the definition of absurd. It is a waste of money and it will continue to be a waste of money. I admire the attempts of Obama's campaign to do better in traditionally Republican states, but it is pie in the sky wishful thinking that putting staffers in all 50 states will do anything more than putting staffers in 10 select swing states couldn't do.

Wishful, idealistic thinking is usually absurd. But so was Einstein.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »

Man, Wyoming4Obama Team Lead must be a lonely, lonely, overpaid job.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 11:35:12 PM »

Well, this is why I'm not donating to Obama. I don't want him wasting my money on opening an office in Oklahoma.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »

If Obama thinks he will capture states like Wyoming, Kansas, Montana etc., he is truly absurd.  If he had any brains at all, he would focus his money on the swing states.

It's far easier to change small states instead of large swing states. Less spending required, but the small states still matter. And they tend to be more open minded.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »

Cool.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 11:36:21 PM »

They have the money, so they might as well. Plus it'll energize the local parties and get the locals to like you.

And if lightening strikes and an unexpected state becomes competitive, they're ready to go.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »

It's far easier to change small states instead of large swing states. Less spending required, but the small states still matter. And they tend to be more open minded.

Please give me a compelling reason why Obama will capture Wyoming, Kansas, and Oklahoma's electoral votes using this strategy - then I'll listen.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »

Bush's campaign did the same thing in 2000. They spent unneeded money in blue states like California and New Jersey early in the campaign. It was money well wasted. The Bush 2000 campaign came to their senses fairly quickly. Let's hope the Obama 2008 campaign comes to their senses soon.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:39:06 PM »

Obviously he doesn't think he can or will win them, but considering the huge money advantage he has, it makes sense to spend money in them to try to steadily build Democratic support in them for future races, to help Democratic candidates downballot, and finally in the odd chance that he could flip them especially if a landslide starts materializing (not likely, but at least possible).

It's worth noting that most of these smaller states haven't been given any attention by any Presidential candidate in decades, so we really don't know what would happen if one of the candidates actually did spend some money in them. It hasn't been tested as a strategy because no one has ever had the resources, but it's worth trying as an experiment anyway.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »

Eh maintaining staff and actually campaigning and spending money are two different things. They can afford to create offices in all 50 states but he better not buy ads in Kansas or something like that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:31 PM »

On to Kansas! Obama has obviously been reading these forums.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »

Please give me a compelling reason why Obama will capture Wyoming, Kansas, and Oklahoma's electoral votes using this strategy - then I'll listen.

He's showing that every state matters. He's not a cynic.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »

The point is not so that Obama can win 50 states... it is obviously an intent to sink money into states with competitive governor, senate, and house elections to build the future of the party for the next few cycles.

This is part of the deal with the superdelegates and Republican caucus states that went heavily for Obama.... There are many closet Democrats in Republican leaning places that, although they might not stomach Obama, will vote Democrat for Governor, Senator, and Representative.

Obama has such a significant money advantage over McCain that this is money well invested....
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 12:11:43 AM »

yes: they're used to being ignored. Maybe some of them will listen. Either way, I think it's worth it to (re)build party infrastructure in many of these states.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »

I think Obama's money advantage is being blown out of proportion around here. Yes, he does have an advantage, but in May, I believe McCain and the RNC were even or slightly ahead of Obama and the DNC. McCain will have good money come the general. I think its very unwise for him to be staffing states like Utah, Oklahoma, Wyoming etc .. but if he wants to sink money there, go right ahead...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »

I think Obama's money advantage is being blown out of proportion around here. Yes, he does have an advantage, but in May, I believe McCain and the RNC were even or slightly ahead of Obama and the DNC. McCain will have good money come the general. I think its very unwise for him to be staffing states like Utah, Oklahoma, Wyoming etc .. but if he wants to sink money there, go right ahead...
The RNC needs a lot of that money to help out the struggling RSCC and RCCC, lest they want a filibuster-proof Democratic majority in the Senate and another 20-30 seat Dem pickup in the House. Plus, Obama + Clinton + DNC is still much more than McCain + RNC.

Obviously I support this. While we won't win states like Wyoming, Kansas, Oklahoma or Alabama, it's good to compete. Getting a President elected is great, but even better is a Democratic President, a Democratic congress and Democratic governorships and state legislatures. That's what running a 50-state campaign does.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 12:19:26 AM »

I think some of this has to do with perception as well, that Obama is not going to play the usual washington game. Although he will really compete in only 10 states or so, he wants the perception created that he is moving past the red vs blue map.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 12:22:35 AM »

I think some of this has to do with perception as well, that Obama is not going to play the usual washington game. Although he will really compete in only 10 states or so, he wants the perception created that he is moving past the red vs blue map.

Sure, but if you spend a few dollars and also pick up a representative seat in Wyoming, why not invest 150K to boost turnout and slightly increase your down-ballot margins?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 12:23:34 AM »

If Dean could do it, why not Obama?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 12:27:47 AM »

Hey, a good organization could really help the down-ballot races. Also, if nothing else, it will at least cause McCain to spend a bit defensively.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »

Man, Wyoming4Obama Team Lead must be a lonely, lonely, overpaid job.

Maybe they can join those Mississippi nose-pickers.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 01:19:46 AM »

This is actually a good thing, and I'm jealous that he's doing it.  It's ridiculous, and an ominous sign of our times, for campaigns to battle it out in a few "swing" states and leave voters in the rest of the country stranded. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies