Nixon/Scott vs. Kennedy/Johnson-1960
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:22:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nixon/Scott vs. Kennedy/Johnson-1960
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixon/Scott vs. Kennedy/Johnson-1960  (Read 2864 times)
GPORTER
gporter
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:31:19 PM »

Richard Nixon/Hugh Scott
vs.
John Kennedy/Lyndon Johnson
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »

Kennedy/Johnson: 247 electoral votes
Nixon/Scott: 271 electoral votes
269 needed to win

Scott helps swing the lower new england area to Nixon. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware were already very close. With a person on the ticket from there area, they all narrowly go to Nixon and this sends Nixon to the White House.

A VP would not swing 3 states, unless they were decided by <100 votes each; even then, it is unlikely.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

269 needed to win

Scott helps swing the lower new england area to Nixon. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware were already very close. With a person on the ticket from there area, they all narrowly go to Nixon and this sends Nixon to the White House.

A VP would not swing 3 states, unless they were decided by <100 votes each; even then, it is unlikely.

269 needed to win

how did Johnson swing most of the south to kennedy in 1960? how did Muskie keep a good amount of the new england area to Humphrey?

LBJ was a special case.  Humphrey was a good candidate for New England.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »

I assume you are talking about Pennsylvanian Senator Hugh Scott? I have to agree with Ben, Scott wouldn't bring in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware to Nixon in 1960. Scott, as we know was only elected into the US Senate in 1958 and only narrowly defeated George Leader for the Senate seat by 3 percentage points and he's not the Johnson type that would have that effect in Pennsylvania herself nor her surrounding area.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:02:02 PM »

I assume you are talking about Pennsylvanian Senator Hugh Scott? I have to agree with Ben, Scott wouldn't bring in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware to Nixon in 1960. Scott, as we know was only elected into the US Senate in 1958 and only narrowly defeated George Leader for the Senate seat by 3 percentage points and he's not the Johnson type that would have that effect in Pennsylvania herself nor her surrounding area.
Yes I am talking about that senator.

I got this idea from a book. It was "Richard M. Nixon" by Conrad Black. When it talks about Nixon choosing a running mate in 1960, it minchens Scott as a choice, saying that he probably could have swung his homestate.

The book is wrong.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »

I got this idea from a book. It was "Richard M. Nixon" by Conrad Black. When it talks about Nixon choosing a running mate in 1960, it minchens Scott as a choice, saying that he probably could have swung his homestate.

The book is wrong.
so you are saying that you are both smarter and know more about Nixon than the author of that book does? I find that really hard to believe.

No, but Scott would not have swung Pennsylvania.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 12:02:09 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2008, 12:04:24 AM by Nelson Rockefeller »

With Scott as Nixon's running mate in 1960, I believe Reagan Republican is correct, that it is a possibility that this could have swung Pennsylvania to Nixon.  Pennsylvania was close, and this may have tipped it to Nixon.  As I say, it is a possibility, but by no means a sure thing, but with Scott as the running mate I do not believe that it can be entirely discounted that Pennsylvania would have gone to Nixon.

Pennsylvania alone would not have swung the election, however, to Nixon.

As for New Jersey and Delaware, Scott's presence on the ticket would in no way help to swing these states to Nixon.

The only running mate Nixon could have had in 1960 that may have helped swing enough votes and states to Nixon to give him the win would have been New York Governor Nelson Rockelller.  Nixon did in fact want Rockefeller on the ticket, but Rockefeller was not interested.  As Rockefeller said, I am not made of standby material
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »

Why can't you spell?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 01:43:36 PM »

Conrad Black is a crook, traitor, and piece of human sh**t.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »

Conrad Black is a crook, traitor, and piece of human sh**t.

Clearly that must invalidate his views on hypothetical alternative scenarios for Richard Nixon's 1960 running mate selection.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies