Find a quote that summarizes your philosophy.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:35:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Find a quote that summarizes your philosophy.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Find a quote that summarizes your philosophy.  (Read 3135 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2008, 01:52:24 AM »

I can't summarize it with just one, so I'll cheat and use two, one well-know and one obscure:

"The past is irretrievable. The present is incomplete. The future has already begun." - Dmitri Volkogonov

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »

Live and let live
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »

"All I do, I do for humanity." (Political philosophy anyway; it would be a bit self-promoting to say that's a life philosophy.)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »

Fezzy- It's from the movie minority report right?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »

I can't think of just one:

1.  "All it takes is one bad day to make a normal man go insane." - Mr. Joe Kerr
2.  "A nation that destroys it's soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. " - Franklin D. Roosevelt
3.  "Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
4.  "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
5.  "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." - King David
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:05:49 AM »

“There's not a joy the world can give like that it takes away” - Lord Byron
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." – Thomas Jefferson

"We must show that liberty is not merely one particular value but that it is the source and condition of most moral values. What a free society offers to the individual is much more than what he would be able to do if only he were free. We can therefore not fully appreciate the value of freedom until we know how a society of free men as a whole differs from one in which unfreedom prevails." - Friedrich August Hayek

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." – Ed Howdershelt

"When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'" – Mikhail Bakunin (yes, I see the irony of quoting a communist)

"Popular suffrage is in itself no guarantee of freedom. People can vote themselves into slavery." – Frank Chodorov

"Freedom is not America’s gift to the world. It is God’s gift to humanity. " - President George W. Bush (1946- ) (another ironic choice)

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." – Noam Chomsky (yet another ironic choice!)

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind." – Winston Churchill
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 10:21:14 AM »

“There's not a joy the world can give like that it takes away” - Lord Byron

I found out the other day that some of my ancestors were tenants of the Byrons.
Eleanor Martins
RedefiningForm
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.22

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »

"If you're not important yourself, then where do you get the motivation to live? Isn't it debilitating to believe that everything is important, except yourself?"- Question posed to Ernst Tugendhat by Die Tageszeitung
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »

"Listen with the ears of your heart"
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 02:22:08 PM »

One generation plants the trees; another gets the shade.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 03:21:59 PM »

One generation plants the trees; another gets the shade.

That's very true... unless you plant those hybrid poplars which grow to 100 feet in 16 years.. but to take the analogy further, if you plant a diversity of trees all with different positive aspects and different growth rates... you will have a lush forest for your children to enjoy.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 03:28:28 PM »

Political or personal?

Political: "Those who are willing to comprimise security for liberty deserve neither" -Benjamin Franklin

Personal: "Sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight" - James Hetfield
"Live and let die" - Sir Paul McCartney
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »

Political or personal?

Political: "Those who are willing to comprimise security for liberty deserve neither" -Benjamin Franklin

Personal: "Sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight" - James Hetfield

"Those who are willing to comprimise security for liberty deserve neither"

Ladies and Gentlemen... the Republican platform summed into one sentence.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »

Political or personal?

"Those who are willing to comprimise security for liberty deserve neither"

Ladies and Gentlemen... the Republican platform summed into one sentence.
Please don't ever confuse my views with those of the leaders of the Republican party kthx Smiley
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »

It's actually, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." I don't know if you just didn't remember it properly, but switching liberty and safety/security gives the quote an entirely new, backwards meaning.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »

It's actually, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." I don't know if you just didn't remember it properly, but switching liberty and safety/security gives the quote an entirely new, backwards meaning.
Yea, I was just paraphrasing it, too lazy to look it up exactly Tongue
I remember it from a paper I was doing on 1984, I don't think it really changes the meaning all that much, except for the adjectives in front
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 04:08:46 PM »

I remember it from a paper I was doing on 1984, I don't think it really changes the meaning all that much, except for the adjectives in front

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. Personally I think one sacrifices liberty for security, which is deplorable, rather than the other way around. That's why your paraphrase caught my attention and I felt the need to correct it Wink

Oh, and my own quote that summarizes my political philosophy is still “You can't be suspicious of a tree.” -Hal Borland. It is an artful quote, I think, because it can mean completely different things depending on who's interpreting it. It's also sufficiently obtuse.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 04:12:45 PM »

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. Personally I think one sacrifices liberty for security, which is deplorable, rather than the other way around. That's why your paraphrase caught my attention and I felt the need to correct it Wink

Oh, and my own quote that summarizes my political philosophy is still “You can't be suspicious of a tree.” -Hal Borland. It is an artful quote, I think, because it can mean completely different things depending on who's interpreting it. It's also sufficiently obtuse.
Oh crap, I was confused with your point before.  I accidently changed the order of the two.  (major egg on my face there I guess) What I meant to say is what you put:

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"
Sorry bout that Tik Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies