What do I need to know about Australia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:50:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What do I need to know about Australia?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What do I need to know about Australia?  (Read 8237 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2008, 07:36:28 PM »

Sorry, mate, we just don't seem to use the old laundromats all that much.

By the way, did you watch the Australia vs NZ match tonight?

Wrong sport.

Australia v. Ireland was a thriller though! 1 point...sigh. Next game should be a corker.

^^^
Grin
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »

Rugby Union is my favourite code, although I don't mind the rugby league if it looks like it's going to be a good game.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2016, 07:39:52 PM »

I've got a three year fellowship in Australia (in the Sydney metro area) that'll start in a few months....basically, as soon as I can sort  out the paperwork, and organize the move.

*bump*

Well, I was planning on being in Australia for three years, but it ended up being about eight years.  (Anything interesting happen in the Obama administration while I was gone?)  I'm back in the US now, presumably for good.  Currently in MN, but that's just temporary, and I'll likely move somewhere else within the borders of this country within the next few months.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 07:48:24 PM »

Wtf Huh

TIL that Morden isn't actually Australian.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2016, 08:46:30 PM »

I've got a three year fellowship in Australia (in the Sydney metro area) that'll start in a few months....basically, as soon as I can sort  out the paperwork, and organize the move.

*bump*

Well, I was planning on being in Australia for three years, but it ended up being about eight years.  (Anything interesting happen in the Obama administration while I was gone?)  I'm back in the US now, presumably for good.  Currently in MN, but that's just temporary, and I'll likely move somewhere else within the borders of this country within the next few months.

Welcome back to the states! Your avatar is gonna confuse me for a while, hope I don't confuse you for Wulfric...
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 09:02:57 PM »

*bump*

Welcome back to the States Cheesy
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 09:24:32 PM »

*bump*

Welcome back to the states! Your avatar is gonna confuse me for a while, hope I don't confuse you for Wulfric...

I was initially wondering why Wulfric sounded so different...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2016, 10:23:50 PM »

*bump*

So....where in Minnesota?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2016, 01:02:20 AM »

Welcome back! We rearranged all the national monuments whike you were gone. And we acquired Sicily.

I'll miss your Australian avatar, though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2016, 06:02:43 AM »

Wtf Huh

TIL that Morden isn't actually Australian.

Ditto. I never would have guessed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2016, 12:49:34 PM »

*bump*

So....where in Minnesota?

Bloomington.  In honor of Bushie, I'm staying with my mother for a while while I sort out my employment situation.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2016, 01:32:21 PM by Mr. Morden »

I mean, it's not like I haven't been open about it in the past.  Aside from this thread, I've made numerous references over the years to growing up in the US.  (For example, I'm sure I mentioned it when there were FC polls about things like "Did your high school have a swimming pool?")  And I just googled Mr. Morden + uselectionatlas.org + "I'm American", and got multiple hits:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=201388.msg4355594#msg4355594

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=204289.msg4421255#msg4421255

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=232537.msg4981596#msg4981596

And then, of course, I've always used American spellings for everything, so that should have been a hint....

EDIT: Oh, and I had a Washington state avatar in 2008, which is where I lived before moving to Oz.  At that time, I think some folks confused me with Alcon.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2016, 10:19:55 AM »

Before I saw a documentary on Australian wildlife I saw a disclaimer... "The animals shown in this documentary are all out to kill you. Viewer discretion is advised."
Tongue
Joke.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2016, 02:23:59 PM »

So, other than what you were told in this thread, what did you need to know about Australia?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »

So, other than what you were told in this thread, what did you need to know about Australia?
Asking who?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »

This is what you need to know about Australia:

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »

Where are the leaping 'roos?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »

#ImaginaryAustria left only one choice: Australia.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2016, 12:24:24 AM »

Don't knock it.  After that fence was built, not a single refugee managed to walk across the border from Slovenia to Australia.  It was quite effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVqLHghLpw
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »

Good question.  It wasn't that hard to figure out how things worked over there, though I guess one of the trickier things was indeed covered in this thread: the crazy system by which one hunts for apartments.  Also, not really specific to Australia, but to international moves in general...I hadn't really thought through the fact that there really is no good way to transfer all my money at once.  When I did find an apartment and had to put down a deposit, the best solution I had was to simply withdraw the max amount of $ from my US bank account at an ATM three days in a row.

Other than that, I didn't really have any problems.  Tongue
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »

the flag is pretty weird

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to: