What do I need to know about Australia? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:00:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What do I need to know about Australia? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do I need to know about Australia?  (Read 8265 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: June 25, 2008, 08:51:57 PM »

I don't like Sydney, but that's because I'm from Queensland originally and we hate NSW with a passion (especially at State of Origin time). That said, I find the one thing that unites everyone in Australia from any state or territory (except for NSW) is their dislike of Sydney...

We have great beaches in Australia, and you can get to them quite easily from most major cities.

I reiterate what Polnut mentioned... don't support Manly! I've heard it said that everyone has two favourite teams - their home team, plus whoever's playing Manly.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »

OK, update.  I've been here about a month now (as you might tell from my avatar).  No, I didn't end up going on that itinerary with a layover in Fiji (which also would have included a layover in Los Angeles).  I went on one with a layover in Auckland.  It wasn't that much more expensive, and it shaved a good 6 hours or so over the total travel time.  I wasn't sure if I could handle an itinerary in which I don't arrive at my destination until nearly 24 hours after I left.

I do have a place now, in North Ryde.  Here's my question of the moment though: Does this country have laundromats?  That is, places where you can insert money into washers and dryers so you can do your laundry?  Yes, I've done my laundry since I've gotten here, but that was when I was either at a serviced apartment (where they had such facilities in the building) or out of town (where they had such facilities in the building).  I now have my own apartment, but no washer or dryer.  I could buy a washer and dryer, but, I'd really like to do laundry tomorrow, and when I use the Google, I only find info on "drycleaners" in the area, which I assume means they do it all for you.

Aren't there any such places where you can go to do your own laundry, and you only pay for the use of the machine?  I would think that, with all the students around on the Macquarie U. campus, there would be a market for such a thing, no?

There are more in some places than in others. I've only seen one or two in Brisbane, but I've seen quite a few in Melbourne. I'm not sure about Ryde. You usually pay to use the machine when you go to one. We also call them laundromats, so you're definitely putting the right word into google.

When you go to buy, the Good Guys is probably going to have the best prices. That's what I'd recommend anyway, although Retravision might do okay. Definitely don't buy until you've checked out the Good Guys.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 01:11:20 AM »

If you ever come down to visit Melbourne, let me know - it could be fun to go grab some pasta on Lygon Street.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:58:03 AM »

You'd be better off finding a place to erect a hill's hoist to dry your clothes. Dryers are barbaric, you see.

Hill's Hoist = Australian invention.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 06:08:36 AM »

If you ever come down to visit Melbourne, let me know - it could be fun to go grab some pasta on Lygon Street.

The pizza's not bad on Lygon Street too, though a friend of mine, who happens to be Italian claims they are not authentic and are not how grandmother used to make them. Anywho, Morden I reccomend you come down to Melbourne. MUCH better than Sydney that's for sure. And you've got Smid, Hugh and myself to back you up on that Smiley

Melbourne almost became the capital city of Australian - it was the largest city at federation. I'm glad it didn't, it would have been spoilt if they pumped all the bureaucrats into the city, wouldn't be as arty or anything. Melbourne's great!

I don't mind the pizza on Lygon Street, but I do enjoy getting the pasta. My favourite place is Sale-E-Pepe. I had a couple of mates down from Brisbane, and we had bread and dips, pastor, tiramisu and two bottles of wine and the whole lot cost us $80! It was delicious, too! I've been there a couple of times since and can strongly recommend it!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:44:58 AM »

On the plus side, we DID invent vegemite.

Even if Kraft now owns it.

My dirty little secret that will get me hauled before the un-Australian Activities Committee is that I've never liked vegemite...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 09:58:03 AM »

Sorry, mate, we just don't seem to use the old laundromats all that much.

By the way, did you watch the Australia vs NZ match tonight?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »

Rugby Union is my favourite code, although I don't mind the rugby league if it looks like it's going to be a good game.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies