City Hall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:22:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  City Hall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: City Hall  (Read 76089 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
« edited: June 24, 2008, 03:49:35 PM by afleitch »

Because sometimes national campaigns are boring. I have an idea for a more micro-government game.

Basically we have a European style city (map done folks) split into small areas which each elect a member to the city council. Some areas are the old historic city, some are leafy suburbs, down on their luck dockalnds, others working class estates. Pick a patch, name it and call it your own. Decide who lives there, and what the area needs. There can also be mayoral races etc.

The game moderator acts as the 'national influence'. He can provide money for a Metro system and those on the council have to squabble on the route. There could be an Olympic bid, a businessman wishing to tear down the docks and rebuild, localised crime waves etc.

I have a map ready that I made a while ago for something like this. Basic areas are coloured in; industry, suburbs, rail etc but theres alot of personal input here. It wouldn't be an election sim (apart from Mayor) until later on.

Game rundown

The structure is very simple. Each arrondisement elects a local mayor who for the sake of simplicity also acts as a councillor. The whole city elects a mayor who oversees the work of council. There are comittees which renage from transport to developemt, health etc and councillors can be involved in as many as they wish. These can often be more powerful than the city council as they influence policy and present their case to the council to vote on. The mayor has the casting vote in the event of a tie etc.

The moderator acts as central government and outside forces. This can be one person or a team. This includes government imposed funding cuts, or giving money for infrastructure developments. They can also include property developers etc and each area has to woo them (or repel them) And of course they can 'buy' votes.

City Hall can be as clean or dirty as you want it to be. You fight for your own turf but you are a city and you are in it together.

Best thing is? The city develops. If a new metro line if opened the map is updated. If high rises are raised to the ground that too is reflected (a property type map will be created)

If we can keep the maps on one page an update them as things change that should be fairly easy.

Maps

Kolshaven

Landuse

Gemeenten

Environs

Metro

PLAYERS

I – Deux-Rives / Twee Banken (Hashemite)
II – Prinsheuvel (Verily)
III - Sint-Bavo (Supersoulty)
IV – Koningstad (BaconKing)
V – Huutwort (Xahar)
VI - Meekermariner
VII - Slotervaart (Exnaderite)
VIII – Moulin de Ville / Molenstad (Polnut)
IX - Beekhoeve (Benconstine)
X- Swellendam (Evilmexicandictator)
XI - Rijksveld (ColinWixted)
XII - De Bilt (Fezzy)
XIII – Duikersheuvel (Afleitch)
XIV - G.O.P
XV - Koolshaven (Cookies and Milk)
XVI - Zwarte Vallei (Al)
XVII – Oudedokken (Ernest)
XVIII – Nieuwedokken (SamSpade)
XIX - Vliegveld (ILV)

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2008, 11:53:49 AM by Ontarian Radical »

I'm definitely in!

I'd be interested in seeing the map, too; and I'd be happy to help out.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2008, 03:00:21 PM by afleitch »

Key:

Natural: Light blue is the river, Light green is unbuilt 'green' land. Darker green is a city park.

Transport and Industry: The dark blue line are motorways. The Brown lines are the main Railways. Dark Grey is Industry (including docklands) while light grey is the Airport (and associated industry) The Pink bit near the centre is an area like La Defence/Canary Wharf

Demographics: The main color bloc in the centr is the 'Old City' (where it had expanded to by the early 1900's. The orange areas are working class estates (probably with a high immigrant population) while the cream areas are more middle class suburbs.

The red lines are the boundaries of the wards/arrondissements. There are 19 in total

Others: The 'Ovals' are stadiums (put in them what you want) The Red square is the City Hall itself and the Purple area is the main University campus.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »

A few more points.

Note the 'ringroad' has not been finished. It has, of course been ploughed through the poorest areas. The suburbs have halted plans to complete the loop..for now

There is a metro system. I have a map of that somewhere showing where areas are well served and others are not.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 01:05:38 PM »

Two things.

It would be nice to know something about the surrounding area, if for no other reason that to see where the city might add arrondissement XX.  (Annexation battles can be interesting.)

Also how far to the ocean and nearest metro areas
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »

I call district four. If that's how we're doign it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »

Environs.

Oh and I call 13 Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »

Probably 1 for me!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »

Give it a name Cheesy

Doesn't need to be an English speaking city either.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »

Give it a name Cheesy

I quite like numerous languages etc. cities, not a fan of unilingual cities.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »

Give it a name Cheesy

I quite like numerous languages etc. cities, not a fan of unilingual cities.

For the record, I spliced a fair few cities together. It's 'Parisian' in shape, with some Brussels and some Glasgow and so on. I've still to give it a name.

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »

Well I'm in. I call Ward/District/Arrondissement 11.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 02:54:45 PM »

This map gives a rough idea of the 'class' mix of each area. The darkest red are the most working class, the darkest blue are the most middle class
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »

Folks with means tend to live on the west end (or at least to the north) due to the prevailing winds actually. There are exceptions like Albuquerque  (the mountains are to the east), But then the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road too, come to think of it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 03:23:02 PM »

Folks with means tend to live on the west end (or at least to the north) due to the prevailing winds actually. There are exceptions like Albuquerque  (the mountains are to the east), But then the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road too, come to think of it.

Very True. But it looked better Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2008, 03:28:10 PM by Verily »

District II for me. Maybe we're near the equator; that makes the prevailing winds easterly instead of westerly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »

No it wouldn't actually. The planet spins the same way in both hemispheres. Smiley

It could be nearer the equator though. There the winds do blow the opposite way. I just read that actually, in a book about trade. That is why Columbus got to America; he sailed south of the roaring 40's. Fascinating stuff.

Oh,  you edited your post! How disingenuous [clever] of you!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »

No it wouldn't actually. The planet spins the same way in both hemispheres. Smiley

It could be nearer the equator though. There the winds do blow the opposite way. I just read that actually, in a book about trade. That is why Columbus got to America; he sailed south of the roaring 40's. Fascinating stuff.

Oh,  you edited your post! How disingenuous [clever] of you!

Yeah, it occurred to me how stupid that post was when I was considering it--but then I realized that the winds do reverse near the equator.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »

That's not always true. The richest suburbs of Cleveland, for example, are on the east side of the city. The richest suburbs of Melbourne, IIRC, are east of the city. It's not a completely certain scenario that the rich areas are in the West or North.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »

XIII Duikersheuvel (Divershill)

A genteel suburb of the city, it was incorporated into the city officially in 1966. Why the area was called, Divers Hill is still a mystery, but the hill to the south that also forms the city boundary was once the source of a spring. The motorway to the west serves as the main arterial route to the south, but motorists do make use of the offramps that lead towards the town, with the cities first IKEA store located at Duikersheuvel. It's location makes it a commuter haven. Even if it is not quite as wealthy as more westerly suburbs, it has a thriving riverside.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »

If it makes you all happy, I'll flip the city over Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2008, 04:43:44 PM by Torie »

That's not always true. The richest suburbs of Cleveland, for example, are on the east side of the city. The richest suburbs of Melbourne, IIRC, are east of the city. It's not a completely certain scenario that the rich areas are in the West or North.

Quite right, although there are some tony areas to the west of Cleveland on the lake. Another example is Salt Lake City, Who would want to live near the stench of the lake itself, when one could have mountain views?  And the ruling class census tracts of Cincinnati are to the east too. The "problem" with Ohio of course is that is got its first and last letters reversed, and thus mixed up east and west. But messing with the Brit is job one I think. Don't you agree?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2008, 04:40:59 PM by Vice-Chairman ザハル (さはる) »

V - Huutwort (Hitheworth)

Huutwort is one of the oldest parts of the city. The name Hitheworth is Anglo-Saxon in origin, literally meaning "enclosure of wharf". It once contained an English colony, which gave it its name. This group has been assimilated, and the name has changed likewise, though Hitheworth continues to be an exonym for the area in some languages. In the Middle Ages, Huutwort contained the entrance through the city walls on the main road. It also once contained a harbor, although Huutwort Docks have been long since abandoned for other parts of town. Huutwort is mostly a working-class neighborhood, unlike many of its neighbors, but it has become increasingly gentrified in the past few decades. Hitheworth Park (which retains the old name) is the largest park in the city, and contains the Duke's Lake, the largest body of water in the city, aside from the river.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 05:17:21 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2008, 05:21:04 PM by afleitch »

The Metro System. Showing the three curent lines. The hollow lines show three proposed extensions to the system. Of course the city can't afford all of them...

Maybe if you're a big hitter in the Transportation Committe you might just be able to excert a little influence.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »

The Metro System. Showing the three curent lines. The hollow lines show three proposed extensions to the system. Of course the city can't afford all of them...

Maybe if you're a big hitter in the Transportation Committe you might just be able to excert a little influence.

I know which one Huutwort wants...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies