City Hall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:26:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  City Hall
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Author Topic: City Hall  (Read 76108 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2008, 06:20:14 PM »

XI will be named, Rijksveld, which I think means something like Kingdom's Field  or Empire Field.

Metro station closest to the city: Arminstad
Farther Metro Station: Hermansdorp
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »

A snapshot of a side street shows the contrast of turn of the century town architecture with immediate post war storied suburban residences with well tended public spaces.

(I will post same size versions of the other 5 later)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2008, 06:53:29 PM »

How dod you get those snapshots? I love them.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2008, 06:54:31 PM »

Are there any wards still left?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2008, 07:00:56 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2008, 07:03:21 PM by Bacon King »

Yes, several. The list on the first post is updated.

name for the other metro station, btw: Marmerpaleis. "Marble Palace".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2008, 07:23:43 PM »

Individual 'tiles' from Sim City 4. They were modified - Dutch set, French set and a few from the UK set including high rise and 60's architecture for when that's needed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2008, 07:52:15 PM »

Individual 'tiles' from Sim City 4. They were modified - Dutch set, French set and a few from the UK set including high rise and 60's architecture for when that's needed.

Hm. What file is that in? Looks worth retrieving, since I have the game.

And I really like the look of Huutwort, and basically this whole game. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »

I'll take XIX Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »

If you don't mind I'd like to name both XVII and XVIII, even tho I want to play XVII

XVII - Oudedokken

The Old Docks (across the river from XVIII Nieuwedokken [New Docks]) isn't as bustling as it once was.  With Nieuwedokken  having the better transportation links, more extensive dock facilities and relative nearness to the airport, Oudedokken has seen a gradual decline in industry and conversion of some structures not immediately on the waterfront to other uses since World War II.  The area immediately around Olympische Stadion was demolished in the late 1960's as part of an urban renewal plan and abortive Olympic bid that left a large stadium that gets little use save when the city's two main soccer teams play each other or a visiting Eredivisie team, and their usual stadia wouldn't be able to hold the expected crowd.

The two metro stops are Oudedokken and Olympische, with Olympische being the one with the planned second feeder on the metro.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2008, 10:10:19 PM »

If Ernest wants XVII, I'll take XVIII.  Industrial/poor areas are fun to be politicians in - no wonder the upper middle-class elitists around here avoid them.

Some names and history will come later, but I assure the rest of the town that my main goal for the moment is to eliminate ilikeverin off the face of this city.  Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2008, 10:47:59 PM »

I have ideas for a possible retconning, which I'll post later.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2008, 08:00:17 AM »

The city at it's bleakest, but don't tell that to it's inhabitants. Oudedokken shows it's spacious 60's design with emphasis on green spaces. Community groups today help maintain these spaces and refurbishment and redevelopment has been touted as a goal for the area. A few older stone dock buildings remain which have potential.

Nieuwedokken is more brutal, but also practical as it serves as an industrial port first and residential area second. While unemployment is lower here due to the docks, the housing stock is some of the worst in the city.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2008, 12:10:03 PM by Bacon King »

The taken districts.

edit; XIX is taken too.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2008, 12:20:18 PM »

I'm suprised III is well..free. Prime inner city real estate here Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »

Before I post my idea for the history, I made a typo in the city name. The first syllable is open, so it should read Kolinsjatohaven rather than Koolinsjatohaven.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »

I'm suprised III is well..free. Prime inner city real estate here Smiley

III was my second choice after I.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »

That name seems a bit long IMO, but I'm open to it I guess.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2008, 01:12:33 PM by Joe Republic »

I'll claim III, and if I may, I'd like it to be called Sint-Bavo ('St. Bavo'; the patron saint of Ghent and Haarlem Wink ).

My activity will be severely limited this summer, so I can really just help make up the numbers for the time being.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »

Schematic of the Metro system almost done, with names so far.

I don't see any need to hurry tis along too fast. I think it's fair to flesh out the city before we meet to form a council.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

Gimme VI
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2008, 01:20:22 PM »

I'll claim III, and if I may, I'd like it to be called Sint-Bavo ('St. Bavo'; the patron saint of Ghent and Haarlem Wink ).

My activity will be severely limited this summer, so I can really just help make up the numbers for the time being.

May I take the liberty to grant you the city Cathedral - and by extension the Metro stations of Kathedraal and Sint-Bavo?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley

As for why the city's main cathedral is not located in District I, perhaps Sint-Bavo was considered a 'secondary' cathedral after the ancient original, but when the older was destroyed during WWII and the younger left unscathed, it was decided to make Sint-Bavo the 'primary' cathedral.

It'd be kind of like if St. Paul's Cathedral had been completely destroyed and Southwark Cathedral 'took over'.  Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »

Nice idea Smiley

Will read through thread to see if there be any areas left I might be interested in.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2008, 02:56:24 PM »

Nice idea Smiley

Will read through thread to see if there be any areas left I might be interested in.

Most of the working class estates south of the half completed ring road are free.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »

A Brief History of Coleshill

Coleshill (known in Dutch as Kolinsjatohaven) is located on the site of an ancient Roman settlement. The town was originally called Cirrium after the large hills there, but was renamed Pertinium in the 4th century after the briefly-regnant Pertinax, who was much later lionized by Gibbon.

In the 9th century, the settlement was recolonized by a group of Frenchmen, who named it "colline château" and built a castle there. Increasingly, thoughh, the territory came to be surrounded by Dutchmen, until they mobilized and razed the castle to the ground, forcing its inhabitants to flee, in 1045 at the great Battle of Coleshill. The name was then defrankicized to Kolinsjato. The leader of the Dutch at the Battle of Coleshill, Magnus (better known in Dutch as De Grote Magnus, "Magnus the Great"), took the title of Mayor (Burgemeester). At this time, Coleshill was simply the modern Deux-Rives district (the name Deux-Rives would only be taken during the Napoleonic occupation).

As the city grew, it acquired a port, and the Dutch name was changed to Kolinsjatohaven to reflect this, and also to distinguish it from the battle, which is still known simply as Kolinsjato in Dutch. The Mayorship continued to pass down from Magnus, which each Mayor choosing his heir (often hereditarily) until 1387. At that time, the Mayor was Occo III. Under his father and grandfather, Occo I and II, the feudal lords of the valley had been enjoying free access to the port, unimpeded by any duties. Mayor Occo III, however, demanded that a fee be paid by all non-burghers wishing to use the port. While this act has caused his to be celebrated as a champion of the common man, historians agree that a good deal of personal greed was involved.

The lords were incensed at this supposed trampling on their rights by the mayor. On May 3, 1387, a day remembered as "Bloody Friday", they all descended upon the city. After killing over 40 civilians, they finally located Occo, and drew and quartered him. A new charter was promulgated, ending the autocracy, and replacing it with a kritocracy. The Mayor would henceforth be elected, but only by landowners. All land in the city was declared property of the Mayor, thus denying the franchise to burghers. This arrangement was deemed satisfactory by the King of Germany, Wenceslaus, who in 1392 granted Coleshill the title of Free City.

The burghers, however, were not pleased. They were for many years forced to grudgingly deal with the turn that events had taken, but the power of the feudal lords gradually waned. On June 13, 1528, the Great Strike started. For almost 3 months, the town was largely shut down. On September 10, the nobles finally gave in, and a new charter was promulgated, establishing a plutocratic system. Henceforth, the Mayor would be elected by five Electors. One would be appointed by the nobles, one would be appointed by the university, one would be elected by taxpaying burghers, and two would be appointed by the Mayor. Each Elector would hold his position for life and could not be dismissed, except by the Emperor, and even then only for a high crime. As always, the Mayor held his position for life.

This system still left the nobles at the reins of city government, and not a single burgher was elected Mayor under the Charter of 1528. However, the 16th and 17th centuries were a time of prosperity, and political issues were pushed aside. Under the principle of "cuius religio, eius religio" established by the Peace of Augsburg, Mayor Frederik Frederikszoon van Magnus declared Lutheranism the official religion in 1555. Four years later, though, his cousin Willem Simonszoon van Magnus reinstated Catholicism. During the Thirty Years' War, Coleshill took the Imperial side, and decisively defeated a small French force in 1637 at the Battle of Twee Rivieren. Later in the 17th century, Coleshill's status as a free city was revoked, but the Mayor retained a considerable amount of power over the city.

In 1714, the underclass finally let loose its pent-up anger and revolted, under a very mysterious man. He was famously tight-lipped about his past, and identified himself only as "Jan Janszoon". He had arrived in the city just that very year, and immediately set to work rousing the rabble. Within weeks, he had a force of thousands behind him. On Sunday, September 23, he stormed the cathedral during Mass, and declared himself Mayor. The next day, he found every member of the van Magnus family, which had taken de facto and usually de jure control of the city, and drew and quartered all of them except for one, who had joined his side. Jan declared it revenge for the drawing and quartering of Occo III, who had not been a van Magnus. That day, the Electors quickly formalized the new power structure by electing Jan Mayor. He then abolished the Charter of 1528, and promulgated no new one in its place.

The mystery of Jan Janszoon does not lie therein, though, but rather in his powers. Completely reliable sources describe them as extraordinary. He is reported to have had the power to kill with the mind alone, and the power to make objects levitate and move. When the Church called him a witch, he had the Cathedral at Twee Rivieren demolished. The clergy at Sint-Bavo was much more accommodating, and he rewarded them with a new cathedral.

On January 2, forces of the monarchy finally retook the city and captured Jan, who was sentenced to hang. As he was being led up to the gallows, the executioner dropped dead. Jan vanished in the confusion. An autopsy showed no injuries. Jan soon rallied his forces again, and drove out the hostile men. Early on the morning of May 14, he was found dead in the unfinished Sint-Bavo Cathedral. An autopsy showed no injuries.

Now, the one member of the van Magnus family who had not been killed, Magnus Willemszoon van Magnus, took the office of Mayor, while denying ever actually believing in the ideals of Jan. He did not reinstate the Charter of 1528, instead declaring the Mayorship a hereditary position, and himself Magnus-Willem I. He would stay in the office until 1758, when his son, Magnus-Willem II, took over for the remainder of the duration of the hereditary Mayorship.

In 1795, with the slogan "Vrijheid, gelijkheid, broederschap", Magnus-Willem II was overthrown as Mayor and replaced by Pieter Block, a burgher. He stayed in power until 1811, when Napoléon assumed the Mayorship himself.

Upon the fall of the Empire in 1815, in was resolved that the Mayorship should become a ceremonial position, to avoid the violence that had plagued it. Thus, it became appointed by the University, while actual control was passed to a government-appointed Administrator. In 1946, the position of Administrator was renamed Commissioner. The Commissioner was always an MP from Coleshill. Wards were also established, corresponding to neighborhoods of the city. Each one elected a Mayor of its own. In 2008, as part of a general devolutionary trend, a Home Rule bill was passed. A City Council was formed, consisting of the Mayor of each ward. The Mayor would become directly elected, though it would be appointed by the council until elections could be held. The position of Commissioner was abolished.

I know some parts could use fixing and it crams too much action into a millennium, but I hope it's a good start.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies