Oklahoma ballot access
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:35:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Oklahoma ballot access
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oklahoma ballot access  (Read 9096 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »

Can anybody tell me more about Oklahoma's ballot access law?  No third party candidate was on the ballot in 2004, and this will be the case again in 2008.

Why is it so strict?  How exactly does the law operate?  Could a third party candidate ever gain access under the current requirements?  What was the reason for its introduction?

Thanks in advance.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »

Nearly 50,000 valid signatures are needed to get on the ballot as a third-party in Oklahoma, which is over 3% of the electorate, and that's pretty ridiculous.

The state SoS is essentially strong-arming third parties off the ballot.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »

Can anybody tell me more about Oklahoma's ballot access law?  No third party candidate was on the ballot in 2004, and this will be the case again in 2008.

Why is it so strict?  How exactly does the law operate?  Could a third party candidate ever gain access under the current requirements?  What was the reason for its introduction?
Hard to get on the ballot, hard to stay on the ballot, so even it party gets enough signatures to get on the ballot, they have to do it again at the next election.  Oklahoma also has party registration, and when a party gets zapped they lose all their registered voters.  And then prospective members may not be sure whether the party will regain ballot status, so may register as Democrat or Republican in order to vote in a primary.

Rural areas and the South tend not to be fertile areas for 3rd parties.  In most of the South, the Democratic primary served as the equivalent of a general election, so people may be registered as Democrats by tradition rather than any political ideology.  Being a Republican is somewhat like being a member of a 3rd party elsewhere.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:13:24 AM »

How did Pat Buchanan and Harry Browne do it in 2000?  They only got 9k and 6.6k votes respectively, but they managed to get over 50k signatures?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:20:43 AM »

How did Pat Buchanan and Harry Browne do it in 2000?  They only got 9k and 6.6k votes respectively, but they managed to get over 50k signatures?

A lot of people will sign the petition even though they don't plan on voting for the candidate (they just think the candidate should be able to be on the ballot). As to how they had enough resources to gather enough, they had paid petition gatherers. Barr's trying to raise enough money to get some as well, but it's in doubt whether they'll be able to make it on at this point.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 07:23:37 AM »

I also think that the OKSoS developed a taste for ballot fascism somewhere between 2000 and 2004, although I might be wrong
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »

I also think that the OKSoS developed a taste for ballot fascism somewhere between 2000 and 2004, although I might be wrong

Ballot fascism? More like freedom fighting. one of the few things Oklahoma has done right. I only wish we did the same here.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »

Ballot fascism? More like freedom fighting. one of the few things Oklahoma has done right. I only wish we did the same here.

giving freedom = limiting choices?

since when?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »

giving freedom = limiting choices?

since when?

No, fighting against freedom.

Though that's not what he meant, of course.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »

May I ask what is the point of ballot access laws? Aren't elections supposed to be open to all comers?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies