Should dry counties be illegal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:18:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should dry counties be illegal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should dry counties be illegal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Should dry counties be illegal?  (Read 16758 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 11:02:46 AM »

Yes.

Walter is quite dumb if he honestly thinks ND is where most dry municipalities are. As I said earlier, they're illegal there, so why is he using that state as an example? But hey, can't expect Walter to make sense.

Oh come on....Isn't it obvious he randomly named a place?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2008, 12:15:33 PM by dead0man »

As a teetotaler and a resident of a dry county, I say that the entire concept of a "dry county" is completely ridiculous.  If you don't want to buy alcohol, don't buy any (that's what I do).  Don't force others to live like you.
Yet you hate tobacco companies and want incredibly gun control?  Why is tabacco so much worse than alcohol?  Personally I only use the latter, but your statement is absurd
Because some people (not alcoholics) can have a glass of wine or beer or whatever and move on and be fine.  You can't just casually smoke or shoot people without problems, but you can do so with alcohol.
Yep, and it takes one night of drinking and you can kill yourself and others.  One night of smoking and you smell bad.  There are few things dumber than somebody arguing drinking is somehow "safer" than smoking.

...and millions of bullets go into backstops and down gun ranges for every one that strikes human flesh.  Sport shooting is no more dangerous than going out for an evening of drinking.  Link drinking, it's only dangerous if you're an idiot.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2008, 12:48:04 PM by The Water vs. The Anchor »

Yes.

Walter is quite dumb if he honestly thinks ND is where most dry municipalities are. As I said earlier, they're illegal there, so why is he using that state as an example? But hey, can't expect Walter to make sense.

Oh come on....Isn't it obvious he randomly named a place?

Replace "podunk north dakota" with "new york city" and you could've also just randomly named a place...and the comment is no more f**king retarded. Why not pick a place where counties often are dry (like Kentucky) rather than an area that would never go dry in a million years?

Besides it's fundie Christian areas that go dry. North Dakota generally HATES fundies. Like to the point of where members of fundie Pentecostal churches have their windows broken and receive frequent death threats. That lady in the movie Jesus Camp was forced to close her camp because of the vandalism and death threats she got, also she's basically the subject of a mass shunning now.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »

As a teetotaler and a resident of a dry county, I say that the entire concept of a "dry county" is completely ridiculous.  If you don't want to buy alcohol, don't buy any (that's what I do).  Don't force others to live like you.
Yet you hate tobacco companies and want incredibly gun control?  Why is tabacco so much worse than alcohol?  Personally I only use the latter, but your statement is absurd
Because some people (not alcoholics) can have a glass of wine or beer or whatever and move on and be fine.  You can't just casually smoke or shoot people without problems, but you can do so with alcohol.
1.) You do realize that most people owns guns for hunting not randomly going on killing sprees, right?
2.) If you drink and drive, you can definetly kill people, drinking and smoking does not do the same

Do you honestly believe smoking is more dangerous than alcohol?  If you smoke too much your lungs are the only ones effected
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »

1.) You do realize that most people owns guns for hunting not randomly going on killing sprees, right?
2.) If you drink and drive, you can definetly kill people, drinking and smoking does not do the same

Do you honestly believe smoking is more dangerous than alcohol?  If you smoke too much your lungs are the only ones effected

Right...because secondhand smoking is as phony as man-made global warming.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 02:13:54 PM »

Right...because secondhand smoking is as phony as man-made global warming.
Smokehand smoke is much less dangerous than drunk driving imho.  Either way I think you will agree that it is ridiculous to think one is safe and the other is not.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »

...and millions of bullets go into backstops and down gun ranges for every one that strikes human flesh.  Sport shooting is no more dangerous than going out for an evening of drinking.  Link drinking, it's only dangerous if you're an idiot.
no sh**t.  That's why I don't support complete outlawing of handguns, only regulation, and less regulation for rifles.

Again, I have never advocated strict regulation/bannation of hunting rifles.  Only for handguns whose primary purpose to kill someone.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Notice I only said have a singular drink or two.  I strongly oppose drunkeness and think that bars should not be able to serve more than a couple drinks to people, and not at all to people who appear to be drunk.  I agree wholehearted that we should cut down on drunk driving.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 08:05:02 PM »

I strongly oppose restrictions on bars.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 05:58:20 AM »

Like others in this topic, I don't believe the federal government has the right to do this, and I think it's a ridiculous idea, but if individual counties want to do this, it's their time and effort to waste.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »

Yes, there should have been an amendment against it when we repealed prohibition.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »

But But States Rights.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 09:17:50 AM »

I'm still amused at how f**king stupid Walter's example of North Dakota in this thread was. Does that guy have any clue?
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 09:29:18 PM »

i think dry counties and towns are ridiculous and pointless.  at the same time, if podunk county north dakota wants to be 'dry'...more power to them.

There are no dry municipalities in North Dakota. It's one of the 17 states that ban them.

it shouldnt be a federal or state issue.

it is a local issue.

^

That said - a state CAN ban them if they want. The federal government cannot.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »

Yes, they should.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »

there is no reason for them to be allowed we need to not allow states to set idiotic alcohol regulations
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »

If the residents of that county vote for it to be "dry," then I see no issue here.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15009607

Dry counties are about as lame as it gets.    
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 12:02:23 AM »

Dry counties suck, but if that's how the locals want it.....

how many of them are there?  how many people are effected by it?  It's mostly the rural south right?  Who cares?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 12:23:20 AM »

Yes. Why should a bunch of rednecks be able to revoke one's ability to drink alcohol?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 01:36:27 AM »

Yes. Why should a bunch of rednecks be able to revoke one's ability to drink alcohol?
You can drink in these places, just no purchase.

We live in a free country and are allowed to move if we don't like the local laws.  I think dry counties are stupid as hell, but I don't have a problem with sh**t counties in BFE doing it.  Who'd want to live in a place that uptight anyway?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 01:56:08 AM »

We live in a free country and are allowed to move if we don't like the local laws.  I think dry counties are stupid as hell, but I don't have a problem with sh**t counties in BFE doing it.  Who'd want to live in a place that uptight anyway?

Meh. I've always wondered what was so great about moving to avoid one's rights being infringed as opposed to just stopping the rednecks from just infringing one's rights in the first place.

In one case, the government is acting to protect the interests of the citizenry and in the other, it is allowed to bar the citizenry from purchasing alcohol. It seems to me like it would be ideal to prevent oppressive activities from governments (even local ones).
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 04:02:37 AM »

Meh. I've always wondered what was so great about moving to avoid one's rights being infringed as opposed to just stopping the rednecks from just infringing one's rights in the first place.

In one case, the government is acting to protect the interests of the citizenry and in the other, it is allowed to bar the citizenry from purchasing alcohol. It seems to me like it would be ideal to prevent oppressive activities from governments (even local ones).

What if you can't just up and move?  Employment isn't exactly easy to find these days, and if you have a family to feed.  You should be able to drink all you want.  As long as it doesn't cause you to beat your wife and kids, but that's a whole other issue.

"It doesn't work to leap a twenty-foot chasm in two ten-foot jumps."
No idea who said that, and I'm to lazy to look it up.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 05:55:48 AM »

What if you can't just up and move?  Employment isn't exactly easy to find these days, and if you have a family to feed.  You should be able to drink all you want.  As long as it doesn't cause you to beat your wife and kids, but that's a whole other issue.

"It doesn't work to leap a twenty-foot chasm in two ten-foot jumps."
No idea who said that, and I'm to lazy to look it up.

That's kind of what I was thinking. If avoiding oppressive laws was always as simple as moving somewhere else, blacks in the South could have all just moved north after Reconstruction ended. Many did, but it certainly wasn't practical for everyone.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 06:57:17 AM »

Yes, since they cause more drunk driving incidents to occur as people have to drive tipsy longer to get home from bars and other such establishments.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:27 AM »

Buying alcohol is not a right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies