Gay Marraige will be legal in 50 years (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:29:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marraige will be legal in 50 years (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Marraige will be legal in 50 years  (Read 21562 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: February 17, 2004, 10:21:02 PM »

After a state, most likely Massachusetts, legalizes same-sex marriage, the next step would be for a person to sue in federal court to invalidate the Defense of Marriage Act, on the grounds that it contravenes the Full Faith and Credit Clause. We could see it in five rather than fifty years.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 05:09:18 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2004, 05:11:53 PM by migrendel »

So, Brambilla, what psychological credentials do you possess? I think they would be handy if you intend to call someone disordered. You say that 30% of homosexuals have had 500 sexual partners. A little envious that they've had 500 more than you?

In addition, I would be interested in knowing why you consider it immoral. Better yet, why do you believe that whatever bastard child of evangelical hatred this view of immorality is should be imposed upon the public at large? If you think these people so repugnant, draw your shades and sit in a corner listening to white noise. In the real world, people learn to deal with others that are different than themselves and hold their comments about their putative immorality to themselves. But that's a little bit much to expect. After all, on top of being a psychologist, you have the years of experience in the study of ethics to make that decision for everyone else. Stay in your cave, Brambilla. I will no longer call natural disasters acts of God, because you wouldn't let Him take over for you. We wish to be in the sunlight.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 08:31:28 PM »

Let me address this common nonsense on several fronts.

Firstly, I am credentialed in human behavior studies. In addition to having a degree in a social science specializing in the study of human behavior, including sexual behavior, I have a minor degree in psychology. While I'll admit that I'm no Carl Jung, I at least have some training in the area, as opposed to my illustrious detractor, with his "friends and relatives in the psychological community."

Secondly, I am still amazed that you were willing to embarrass yourself by claiming natural law as the foundation of morality. St. Thomas Aquinas is rotting in his grave, and with the history of philosophy since the Enlightenment, so has natural law. I also find it funny that what we do is called unnatural. We have holes. We have things to put in the holes. We may not have a child at the end of it, but neither would that be the fruit of sex with a post-menopausal woman.

However, I will concede that we do not know the cause of homosexuality. Perhaps it is environmental. Perhaps, pursuant to Freudian theory, it is caused by the dynamic of the relationship between mother and child. Perhaps it is genetic. But regardless of whatever the reason may be, it cannot be considered a mental illness because it doesn't represent an impairment of judgment, not to the APA, AMA, APHA, or any other organization, but I suppose this isn't valid because these organizations, whose members come from all political walks of life, and believe me, wealthy doctors do tend to vote Republican, are "liberal". When it comes right down to it, all it is is a difference between certain kinds of people, and not a major difference unless people like you make it one.

My advice to you would be to approach this question with an open mind. Look at all the evidence, don't just scower for anecdotal evidence to support your claim. Perhaps try some homosexual sex out. You might like it. Just give it more consideration.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 08:55:28 PM »

In addition, your claims are biologically unsound. Homosexuality is found throughout the natural world. Off  the top of my head, I know of homosexuality occuring in penguins, sea gulls, and manatees. This would strongly suggest that this is natural, found throughout living things, and not just some perversion limited to humans.

I also don't see the point of your evolutionary arguments. Homosexual sex doesn't propagate new people, but since when it is good to base humanity on reproduction? I think it's good that people aren't just casually reproducing anymore and trying to enter everyone else's gene pool. We all know that rampant overpopulation leads to poverty, famine, and disease. While Darwinism has scientific merit, it is indeed dangerous to place reproduction as the be all and end all. Parenthood is something that should be carefully considered, not just done ad infinitum.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 05:02:57 PM »

I also know that a majority of sexually transmitted diseases are spread by heterosexuals. The problem isn't one of sexual orientation, but one of deficient contraceptive use and sexual irresponsibility.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 09:40:04 PM »

As a Hispanic, you should know the pain and moral horror that discrimination causes. You should know the frustration and anger someone feels for not judging you based upon the content of your character, but upon one aspect of you. After all this, you should be able to realize that discrimination is wrong, be it against Hispanics or homosexuals. You expect to be treated equally, now let us see you accord that to all people regardless of arbitrary classification.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 10:01:25 PM »

It's perfectly legitimate, Brambilla. If you say that the government can and should discriminate against homosexuals, why can't it be said that the government might discriminate against other minorities, including one you belong to? You can raise the flag of racism when you claim to be offended, but it is paltry compared to how others might have been offended by your talk of deviancy and perversion. I myself am unoffended. I have learned to put little stock in idiocy.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 10:12:15 PM »

With all the horribile discrimination we see against minorities, he should know better.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 10:44:25 PM »

Racism in and of itself?

As someone who has done more for the rights of racial minorities in my career of social activism, from my work on capital punishment, to my lobbying for affirmative action, I am fully aware of the discrimination faced by minorities. However, I am also fully aware that there is just as much hatred against homosexuals as there is against minorities. The only difference is that there isn't the near universal condemnation of that kind of discrimination as there is against racism.

Go ahead and label your opponents racists and deviants. All it shows is that you have run out of material, and that the truth shall be brought to light.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies