If someone were to invent a cure for cancer...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:42:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If someone were to invent a cure for cancer...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: should they be allowed to charge as much as they want?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (Ind./3rd party)

No (Ind./3rd party)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: If someone were to invent a cure for cancer...  (Read 4647 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »

Of course not, but it's ignorant to think they all do it out of pure altruism.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »

Obviously they will discover one quicker if they are motivated to do so by making money

How is that obvious?
I don't think it takes much to realize that people need some kind of motivation to drive them

Like perhaps being known eternally as the Joe who cured cancer?

I'm sure you could become plenty rich while still providing care to everybody that needs it,  especially if the cure for cancer comes from the sources that they're currently studying.  (hint, the tree in your back yard)

Definitely. Besides, even with government regulation, there would still be a large financial incentive.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 06:18:16 AM »

Yes I think he should be allowed to charge whatever he wants.

But I think it would be highly unlikely this someone would charge a ridiculously high amount for this cure. The social stigma would be great, and I don't think many people could deal with that.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 06:40:32 AM »

No, and if they did the government should buy the rights immediately and subsidize the cure.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 11:13:43 PM »

Obviously they will discover one quicker if they are motivated to do so by making money

How is that obvious?
I don't think it takes much to realize that people need some kind of motivation to drive them

You're telling me that if you thought you had the capability do try and a cure for cancer, you woudn't bother unless you thought you could get money out of it? That's pretty sick.

This isn't a new video game we're talking about, it's something that would save hundreds of millions of lives. Anyone who discovered a cure would lead a pretty damn decent life, not just for the millions of people eternally grateful to them.

The obvious, humane answer, is that any such cure should be immediately distributed as far across the globe as possible. Obviously, the creator would be heavily rewarded by governments, not to mention personal donations by grateful recipients. But even then, I'd just think I'd be immensely satisfied with the feeling of the incredible thing I've achieved.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »

No, they should be able to charge a lot for it so that they would be able to cover production and R&D costs and be able to make a profit off of it easily but it shouldn't be too much though people who really need it and are in the middle and lower classes can still afford it, at least with health insurance.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »

What's your definition of 'alot'? 1,000,000 euros for it?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »

It depends on what the company charges. It is okay for them to make marginal profits but if they start charging large amounts for it, then the government should forcibly take the cure and heavily subsidize to reduce prices so it is affordable for everyone.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 09:41:04 PM »

It depends on what the company charges. It is okay for them to make marginal profits but if they start charging large amounts for it, then the government should forcibly take the cure and heavily subsidize to reduce prices so it is affordable for everyone.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:57 AM »

I do not think any company or individual would charge ridiculous prices for their discovery. It will no doubt be expensive but that is only because of the humongous amounts of R&D money that is spent by drug companies. Thus their products can seem ridiculously expensive, even though the medicine could just be an enzyme from a common plant or animal. Now this is where the government should step in and buy the medicine at bulk in order to reduce cost and then subsidize its distribution. In addition I am sure someone in India( or countries with similar patent laws) will reverse engineer the drug and thus the third world will be served as well at a low cost.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 07:38:05 AM »

I vote yes.  The inventor (be it an individual or company) is entitled to seek some monetary return not to just cover the costs of creating new batches of the cure, but to also cover the expenses related to inventing the cure itself.  Now obviously, he/they worked on this cure to treat the millions out there, so the price won't be excessively high, however, they should be expected to make money off the sales.  Heck, if a single Prozac pill could cost $2.00 back in the 90s, a cure for cancer should cost more.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies