Gordon Smith defends polygamy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:24:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gordon Smith defends polygamy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gordon Smith defends polygamy  (Read 2008 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »

Defends or even supports it... I'm not really entirely sure what to make of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiab0khdOcQ

Unsurprisingly, he's been getting a lot of fire
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:37:29 PM »

Well, Gordon Smith is a Mormon after all.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »

Well, Gordon Smith is a Mormon after all.
Hm... I thought something similar when I read the thread title, but I figured that posting it would be in poor taste. So thanks for posting that for me. Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

That didn't make sense to me.

First, he seems to be talking (negatively) about Mormons being persecuted for polygamy.

Then, it sounds like a slippery slope argument against gay marriage...leading to polygamy.

That's...weird.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »

Ugh.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »

That was incomprehensible.  I don't think Gordon Smith knows what his position on marriage is, and is therefore incapable of explaining it.
Jacobtm

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2008, 06:43:48 PM by Jacobtm »

Why do liberals hate polygamy?  If gay marriage is acceptable because of 'two consenting adults' then why not the same for a whole bunch of adults consenting to being married to one person? 
I don't think it's a liberal thing to hate polygamy, pretty sure almost everyone in the U.S. is pretty biased against it. Many liberals probably take anti-polygamy stances because people will be that much more opposed to gay marriage if they think that polygamy will follow in 30 years.

Of course, if you want to define marriage as a bond between any 2 consenting adults, then there's really no reason to limit it to 2, as long as they're all consenting adults. Though in practice, don't lots of Mormons end up marrying minors?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:57:31 PM »

Why do liberals hate polygamy?  If gay marriage is acceptable because of 'two consenting adults' then why not the same for a whole bunch of adults consenting to being married to one person? 

Because it leads to an exploitation of women, and a bunch of beta males being left out in the cold. Polygamy is insane as anything that should be other than rejected.
Jacobtm

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »

Because it leads to an exploitation of women, and a bunch of beta males being left out in the cold. Polygamy is insane as anything that should be other than rejected.

The idea that because some cases of polygamy lead to abuse of women does not mean that all will. For hundreds of years women couldn't vote or own property, and they were all in completely monogamous relationship. Does this mean that marriage leads to abuse of women? No, it means that patriarchal societies do. Just because lots of polygamy takes place in patriarchal societies, doesn't mean that marrying more than 1 person is wrong, it just means that patriarchy is wrong.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »

In short....I have one wife.  The reason I have one wife is because I don't want two.  I don't want two, because I am not an idiot. The one is quite sufficient.  And sometimes, the one is --- errr ---- more than sufficient.

Solomon was a fool.
Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »

In short....I have one wife.  The reason I have one wife is because I don't want two.  I don't want two, because I am not an idiot. The one is quite sufficient.  And sometimes, the one is --- errr ---- more than sufficient.

Solomon was a fool.

This is an illogical reason to disallow polygamy. Just because you don't do something and think it's a bad idea, doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to. The same exact argument could be used with children. While one family may think having one child is more than enough, some may want to have 5, 10, 15 children. It's their choice, and just because you think it's a bad one, doesn't mean it's immoral or shouldn't be allowed.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »

Polygamy happens, its just not official.  Isn't there some show on HBO about it?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 05:30:48 PM »

I actually didn't mind Gordon Smith so this is kind of disappointing. lol @ polygamy.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »

Solomon was a fool.

True, but I think that even Joseph Smith Jr. would've recognized that Solomon's 700 wives (and 300 concubines!) were excessive.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies