The Hill: Despite near-miss in 2006, Wulsin can’t crack Red to Blue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:38:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Despite near-miss in 2006, Wulsin can’t crack Red to Blue
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Despite near-miss in 2006, Wulsin can’t crack Red to Blue  (Read 979 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:57:22 AM »

By Aaron Blake
Posted: 06/18/08 07:37 PM [ET]

Democrat Victoria Wulsin came within 3,000 votes of defeating Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-Ohio) in 2006 and is taking another shot this year, but she’s still got something to prove to national Democrats.

Unlike every other near-miss rematch candidate, Wulsin has not yet been named to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s (DCCC) Red to Blue program.

The program, which had its third iteration unveiled Wednesday and now includes more than three dozen candidates, has yet to list Wulsin among its beneficiaries. The program assists top candidates running in districts currently held by Republicans.

Wulsin was named, however, to a 20-candidate watch list for the program on Wednesday, DCCC spokesman Doug Thornell noted. He said the committee is keeping an eye on the race.

Wulsin, a physician, is hardly the only candidate to attempt a comeback after losing narrowly in 2006. Ten of the first 25 Democrats named to the list were repeat candidates who lost by six points or fewer in 2006.

Schmidt defeated Wulsin 50-49 in 2006. Wulsin won a competitive primary March 4 to earn the rematch.

Wulsin spokesman Kevin Franck was critical of the DCCC, and cast doubt on whether national Democrats know what is happening on the ground. He pointed to recent gains in Democratic registrations and Wulsin’s outperforming in her district of Gov. Ted Strickland (D) and Sen. Sherrod Brown (D) in 2006.

“I’m not sure I understand the D-trip’s thinking, completely,” Franck said, adding: “Interacting with the D-trip and the national party organizations, when you get to the highest levels of decision-making, where the choices are made about which list a race goes on, there seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding the metrics they’re using.

“I think we have a very clear case. We have an incredibly unpopular incumbent in a district that’s not a Republican stronghold anymore. Vic has been running for two and a half years now. Her name ID is much higher than it was. We have more money than before.”

The National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) has taken note of the DCCC’s lack of action. NRCC spokeswoman Julie Shutley, said: “With one loss already under her belt against Rep. Schmidt, Wulsin seems to be having a tough time convincing her own party she has a remote chance of launching a competitive campaign.”

In making his case that Wulsin should be on Red to Blue, Franck pointed to the neighboring 1st district, where perennial target Rep. Steve Chabot’s (R) seat was added to the list in March.

He noted that both districts include large portions of Cincinnati-based Hamilton County, where Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) dominated in the Democratic presidential race. That could bode well for Democratic turnout in the general election.

Democrats have recently gotten some mileage out of comments Schmidt made suggesting China was drilling off the coast of Florida. No such drilling is taking place.

“We’re pleased with the direction this race is headed,” Thornell said. “Jean Schmidt continues to make major gaffes, and we believe that Vic Wulsin is putting together a strong campaign. We look forward to seeing further progress.”

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/despite-near-miss-in-2006-wulsin-cant-crack-red-to-blue-2008-06-18.html
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:01:58 AM »

Considering the district is about as Republican as TX-22, I'm not surprised they don't want to sink money into electing Victoria Wulsin just to have her lose in 2010.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »

I'm sure Jean Schmidt appreciates this.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:47:12 AM »

She's apparently on the same tier as the dude who's going to lose to Charlie Dent in PA-15 and the dude who's going to lose to Scott Garrett in NJ-05.  (Honestly, it's not even worth remembering their names at this point.)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 03:43:42 AM »

Considering the district is about as Republican as TX-22, I'm not surprised they don't want to sink money into electing Victoria Wulsin just to have her lose in 2010.

That's pretty much what I was going to say.  Even if Wulsin did manage to win the GOP could probably nominate a pile of nuclear waste that could beat her in 2010.  The competitiveness of this district springs entirely from the unpopularity of "Mean Jean" so as soon as she's gone it would go straight back to the GOP.

By Aaron Blake
Posted: 06/18/08 07:37 PM [ET]

“I think we have a very clear case. We have an incredibly unpopular incumbent in a district that’s not a Republican stronghold anymore. Vic has been running for two and a half years now. Her name ID is much higher than it was. We have more money than before.”

lol, what is this guy smoking and where can I get some?  OH-2 is probably one of the most Republican districts in the whole state.  If it wasn't a Republican stronghold Wulsin would already be in Congress.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Too bad almost all of the black portions of the city are in the 1st district.  The 2nd district is only 5% black and the general metro area of Cincinnati is probably one of the most racist areas in the North.  Any "Obama-bump" seen in the 2nd's portion of Hamilton County is going to be erased by Clermont and Warren Counties.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies