GA: Insider Advantage: McCain leads Georgia by 1%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:47:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  GA: Insider Advantage: McCain leads Georgia by 1%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GA: Insider Advantage: McCain leads Georgia by 1%  (Read 3767 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

It's not this close.  IA has been way off this primary season, so I'm not so worried.

You need to realize there is a big difference between primary polling and general election polling.

Of course this poll is junk, but using their primary performance is not the way to show it.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »

It's not this close.  IA has been way off this primary season, so I'm not so worried.

You need to realize there is a big difference between primary polling and general election polling.

Of course this poll is junk, but using their primary performance is not the way to show it.

Yeah, but I'm just citing an example about how their history isn't so good.  I just can't believe at this point that Obama is practically tied with McCain.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 11:41:10 AM »

Yeah, but I'm just citing an example about how their history isn't so good.  I just can't believe at this point that Obama is practically tied with McCain.

Given that their main problem in the primaries was severely underestimating the black vote, you should hope that they aren't making the same mistake here.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »

Not very surprising...in fact, I'm surprised Georgia isn't a solid Dem state.  I've been here in the Atlanta area for the past week on a business trip--first time ever in GA--and I've come to the following conclusion:   there are no white people in Georgia.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 12:22:40 PM »

No way is McCain's lead only 1%. 

But.... with the growing metro area, northern transplants, and increased African American turnout.... McCain will win, but it's not going to be the shellacking that Kerry received.   

Whatever, random prediction...

McCain 54%
Obama 45%
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 10:32:43 PM »

Not very surprising...in fact, I'm surprised Georgia isn't a solid Dem state.  I've been here in the Atlanta area for the past week on a business trip--first time ever in GA--and I've come to the following conclusion:   there are no white people in Georgia.

Atlanta is the opposite of the rest of Georgia.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 11:09:08 PM »

Never never never never never never trust a poll that lists Barr as a legitimate choice never never never.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 11:11:33 PM »

Never never never never never never trust a poll that lists Barr as a legitimate choice never never never.

Why? Barr will be on the ballot.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 04:29:32 AM »

To be fair, Georgia is probably going to be one of Barr's best states and have some of the highest name recognition with the candidate, I mean he was a congressman there for some time not too long ago.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 05:42:38 AM »

To be fair, Georgia is probably going to be one of Barr's best states and have some of the highest name recognition with the candidate, I mean he was a congressman there for some time not too long ago.

If his electoral record in that district is anything to go by, then he was never a popular congresscritter.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »

You must not have followed his last race there.
charltonNick
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2008, 07:48:13 AM »

does anyone know what African American turnout in Ga was in 2004?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2008, 01:38:28 PM »

I'll wait for another poll (or 2) before I pass judgement on this one. Obama is likely to outperform Kerry, but I doubt he can actually win, or even make it close.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »

does anyone know what African American turnout in Ga was in 2004?

CNN's 2004 exit poll had them at 25% of the electorate against 30% of the population.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/GA/P/00/epolls.0.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_%28U.S._state%29#Race.2C_language.2C_and_age
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

Bush did almost as well among white evangelicals as Kerry did among blacks, and white evangelicals were 35% of the electorate vs 25% for African Americans. Also notable, although Latinos were only 4% of the electorate in Georgia in 2004, Bush won them.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 01:59:19 PM »

Bush did almost as well among white evangelicals as Kerry did among blacks, and white evangelicals were 35% of the electorate vs 25% for African Americans. Also notable, although Latinos were only 4% of the electorate in Georgia in 2004, Bush won them.

Tiny subsample for the exit poll. Or else they're mostly Cubans, which is also possible.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »

I imagine Georgia has an unusually high % ineligibility for their growing Hispanic population (Mexicans in northern Georgia), but I have no real idea.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies