Mr. 29% gets the Dems to jump again.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:45:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mr. 29% gets the Dems to jump again.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mr. 29% gets the Dems to jump again.  (Read 1267 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:02:40 PM »

House immunizes telecoms from lawsuits By PAMELA HESS, Associated Press Writer
 10 minutes ago

The House has approved a compromise eavesdropping bill that, in effect, shields telecommunications companies from civil lawsuits for their alleged participation in the Bush administration's warrantless wiretapping program.

The House's passage of the FISA Amendment bill marks an apparent end to a monthslong standoff between Democrats and Republicans about the rules for government wiretapping in the United States in the aftermath of the September 11 terror attacks. It's an attempt to balance privacy rights with the government's need to protect the country by spying on foreign agents and terrorists. The Senate is expected to easily pass the bill as soon as next week — before Congress' Fourth of July vacation.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush praised Congress Friday for moving forward on a bill permitting government eavesdropping in the war on terrorism, saying "it will help our intelligence professionals learn enemies' plans for new attacks."

Speaking at the White House, Bush called on both the House and Senate to pass the compromise deal that key lawmakers confirmed Thursday and said he believes it is a vital tool for U.S. law enforcement.

As the House prepared to vote later Friday on that measure, Bush also said he was pleased that Congress was moving forward on "a responsible war funding bill" for Iraq that supports the troops in the field without requiring "artificial timetables" for their withdrawal.

Bush said the legislation updating and revising the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 will "allow our intelligence professionals to quickly and effectively monitor the plans of terrorists abroad while protecting our liberties at home."

He noted that the bill would protect telecommunications companies from lawsuits for cooperating for "past or future cooperation" with federal law enforcement authorities and will assist the intelligence community in determining the plans of terrorists by following "who they are talking to, what they are saying, what they are planning."

The update to the intelligence law was expected to pass the House, potentially ending the standoff between Democrats and Republicans about the rules for government wiretapping inside the United States. The Senate was expected to pass the bill with a large margin, perhaps as soon as next week.

Warrantless wiretapping, which went on for almost six years after the Sept. 11 attacks, was revealed publicly in late 2005 by The New York Times and then discontinued in January 2007. Some 40 lawsuits have been filed against the companies by groups and individuals who think the Bush administration illegally monitored their phone calls or e-mails.

The White House had threatened to veto any bill that did not shield the companies, which tapped lines at the behest of the president and attorney general but without permission from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, the special panel established for that purpose under the 1978 law.

The compromise bill would have a federal district court review certifications from the attorney general saying the telecommunications companies received presidential orders telling them wiretaps were needed to detect or prevent a terrorist attack. If the paperwork were deemed in order, the judge would dismiss the lawsuit.

It would also require the inspectors general of the Justice Department, Pentagon and intelligence agencies to investigate the wiretapping program, with a report due in a year.

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Amendment bill also would:

_Require FISA court permission to wiretap Americans who are overseas.

_Prohibit targeting a foreigner to secretly eavesdrop on an American's calls or e-mails without court approval.

_Allow the FISA court 30 days to review existing but expiring surveillance orders before renewing them.

_Allow eavesdropping in emergencies without court approval, provided the government files required papers within a week.

_Prohibit the government from invoking war powers or other authorities to supersede surveillance rules in the future.

Didn't Pelosi & Reid say this bill was DOA?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2008, 12:52:36 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

It's time to stop trying to elect as many Democrats, and time to start electing Democrats worth a damn. Anyways, I am no longer using the avatar of the capitulation party. I will continue to not give money to the capitulation party. Steny Hoyer spoke loud and clear: he doesn't want my money. Why bother to have Republicans when you have pathetic low-life scum like him? The Republican wing of the Democrap party needs to be eliminated.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »

it's not even so much that Bush got the Dems to jump as they were begging and salivating at the opportunity to jump.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »

Finally we got this passed.  Thanks to the 106 or so Dems (can't remeber exact number) who did the right thing and voted with the Republicans.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »

Finally we got this passed.  Thanks to the 106 or so Dems (can't remeber exact number) who did the right thing and voted with the Republicans.

I don't see how anyone can call this the right thing. It's just to protect certain asses' asses.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »

I don't see how anyone can call this the right thing. It's just to protect certain asses' asses.

This is a big CYA move for politicians and telecom companies, yes.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »

Didn't Pelosi & Reid say this bill was DOA?
If they say that about anything it's a sure thing it will get signed. I should get into stuff like in trade more, I'd make a fortune with those two clowns.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »

Obama's response got him removed from my signature. I want action to save the 4th amendment.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »

maybe not to that extent, but yes, this is a bad day for personal freedom.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »

Not a huge fan of the idea known as Civil Liberties are you? The ACLU will be very, very angry at you. 

The thing that bugs me the most, no pun intended of course Wink is how can such laws passed by the United States Congress be beneficial in fighting terrorism and most importantly how much money will this wiretapping system cost? The ACLU will be very, very angry at you.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »

If I told you my opinion of the ACLU, my post would be removed from this thread.  Seriously, though, why should the companies be punished for complying with our intelligence program who promised them immunity for purposes of fighting terrorism?  The government isn't listening to people's conversations and posting them online.  Why do people get so paranoid about this? 
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:58:03 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2008, 10:05:51 PM by Blue Dog »

If I told you my opinion of the ACLU, my post would be removed from this thread.  Seriously, though, why should the companies be punished for complying with our intelligence program who promised them immunity for purposes of fighting terrorism?  The government isn't listening to people's conversations and posting them online.  Why do people get so paranoid about this? 
Oh I don't know, maybe it's because they wiretapped millions of phone calls without a warrant or court approval. For some reason people tend to get pissed when they find out companies are bugging their calls and trading their personal info without their knowledge or the ability for them to fight it. But who cares about that, the government says we're safer so it must be true. Why would they lie?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »

This is seriously the text book definition of fascism. I'm not surprised, but I am on the verge of changing my avatar here in disgust.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »

Why not become R-RI since these days everyone has jackboots?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 01:37:19 AM »

Does this really suprise anybody?  Really?  A lack of integrity by Democrats isn't exactly a new thing.  If you defend these wankers when they show a lack of integrity about a subject you don't care that much about (ya know, blow jobs, perjury, general lying, race baiting, fear mongering, etc) you end up with this kind of crap.  No matter how far I stray from the Republican camp (and yes I know they can be just as bad, that's why I don't for them either) I will never turn into a Democrat, way to many examples of this kind of thing.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:50 AM »

Aye yi yi. Honestly, I'm not all that surprised about this. Congressional Democrats tout their anti-war speeches, but when they get elected, they shut up, fast. Probably because they're making a lot of money off the war too.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 03:28:23 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2008, 03:37:47 AM by Blue Dog »

At this rate I'm almost hoping the Republicans take back Congress. What good is controlling it if the DINOs in the party keep it from doing anything productive? These power grabbing two faced assholes and security obsessed lemmings are why we keep blowing election after election: we give people no reason at all to respect or trust us on anything.
Angel of Death
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »

Where's "my party, right or wrong" BRTD in this thread? Oh wait, I just answered my own question.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 01:27:06 PM »

This is sick.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 06:05:31 PM »

BUMP

I see how he does it (oh and he's Mr. 28% today).  Congress rating has dropped to 16%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies