Teacher Silences Student Over Mention of Hunting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:29:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Teacher Silences Student Over Mention of Hunting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Teacher Silences Student Over Mention of Hunting  (Read 1074 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:36:43 PM »

www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080620/NEWS04/806200403/1003/NEWS02

Parents: Teacher silenced son on hunting

June 20, 2008

By Dennis Jensen Herald Staff

BENNINGTON — Saying their son was "silenced" by his teacher for talking about hunting in the classroom, the parents of a fourth-grade student at North Bennington Graded School took their son out of school and have taken their case to the local school board.

Jared Harrington's mother, Wendy Bordwell, and his father, Martin Harrington, removed their son from school with 10 days left in the school year and home-schooled the 10-year-old boy.

"We are aggressively pursuing Jared's right to free speech," Bordwell said.

The couple addressed the local school board Monday night to air their grievance.

Bordwell said in a telephone interview that she believed her son was "singled out" by Kathleen Backus, Jared's teacher, while talking about hunting with a schoolmate.

Bordwell said that, during snack time, Jared was discussing the recent spring turkey hunting season with a classmate when Backus interrupted the conversation, insisting that there be no talk of "killing" in her classroom.

Reached through a relative, Backus declined to comment.

At Monday's board meeting, Bordwell read from a prepared statement.

"I believe that Ms. Backus' perception of hunting and hunters have led her to treat Jared in an inappropriate manner, singling him out unfairly," she told the board.

"The breaking point for us, his parents, came when Jared was sharing a conversation during his free period snack time at school. He was talking with a friend about the recent spring 2008 turkey season. Both boys had been out hunting with their dads and Jared was asking his friend where he had gotten his first turkey.

"Jared's teacher covered her ears, trying to block the conversation, and singing 'la la la la.' When asked by another school employee about her odd behavior, the teacher claimed she did not want to hear about the boys and their 'killing.' The boys were left feeling that they were not legitimate hunters, but 'killers' in the eyes of an important authority figure in their lives," Bordwell said.

Jared "has a working knowledge of firearms, archery and the sport of hunting," Bordwell said.

In an interview, Boardwell said that while Backus told her and Jared's father "emphatically that she had no problem with hunting," her comments made it clear that she did, in fact, deplore sport hunting.

Bordwell said that after the incident at school, Jared's father approached Backus, questioning the teacher about her "reprimand" of his son.

"The confrontation ended with Ms. Backus demanding that Marty leave the classroom, screeching, 'I went hiking this weekend and saw a moose and a bear, and I will never tell you where they are because you might kill them," Bordwell said.

Bordwell suggested to the board that a decision by Backus to eliminate all free snack periods in the classroom, changing them to "working" snack time for the remainder of the school year, was designed to stop the flow of free conversation among Jared and the other students.

Bordwell said in the interview that the "working" snack time was designed by Backus to intimidate Jared.

"In this way, she would have control over any conversation," Bordwell said, "and we felt that kind of management plan would single Jared out among his peers. It was created and designed to silence him."

At that point, Bordwell said, it was decided to home-school Jared.

"And since we decided to remove Jared from school for the last 10 days of school, we've learned that the "working" snack time has never been imposed," she said.

After Jared's parents decided to take up the matter with the school board, Backus assigned 137 pages of homework for the boy.

"That led us to believe he was being singled out," Bordwell said.

Martin Harrington owns and operates Marty's Sporting Goods in Bennington, so Jared has been around firearms and sport hunting since he was a very young boy, Bordwell said.

School Principal Thomas Martin said he is confident the administration and the school board "can reach a reasonable understanding" among the parties involved in the matter.

"It's not a huge issue," Martin said in an interview. "Marty is a good kid and Kathleen is a good teacher. The focus is on the kid. We want to try to meet his needs. Kathy cares a great deal about kids. She's troubled a great deal about this."

Martin said the issue is neither "black and white or right and wrong. It's more complicated than that. It's brushing up against a number of things that are important to a lot of people and issues relating to the classroom. Emotions start to feed into it when people's belief systems come into play," he said.

Martin said he would not support any move that would inhibit conversations about any student's hobby, "as long as it is in the parameters of good taste."

After both sides in the issue have been heard, Martin said, he expects a fair solution.

"Obviously, I'd like to see Jared in school," he said. "It's obviously a concern for me. He's a sweet kid; he's a great boy."

Contact Dennis Jensen at dennis.jensen@rutlandherald.com.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »

yeah, the teacher is disturbed, but the parents overreacted.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »

"Jared's teacher covered her ears, trying to block the conversation, and singing 'la la la la.'

LOL at 6-year-old teacher.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »

Kids in school don't have all the rights an adult has.  They are limited in what they can say, like it or not.  The teacher is still a douche.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »

Kids in school don't have all the rights an adult has.  They are limited in what they can say, like it or not.  The teacher is still a douche.

totally agree.  The conversation should have ended when the teacher instructed the kids not to mention "killing" in her classroom.

I am more concerned with my daughter's 6th grade math teacher asking her to subtract 10cm from 20cm^2 and then scolding my daugther for explaining to her teacher that the problem doesn't have a solution because you can't subtract length from area.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »

The teacher has every right to limit classroom discussion of what she sees as upsetting.  In fact, if a teacher said that discussing hunting was inappropriate because many kids would be upset by this (reasonable for fourth-graders) this would be totally justifiable.  She was a little psychotic, but there's no "free speech" violation here.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »

"Jared's teacher covered her ears, trying to block the conversation, and singing 'la la la la.'

LOL at 6-year-old teacher.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »

It's hard to say where I stand on this one because hunting is a way of life here.. nearly every kid does it...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 03:17:36 AM »

Teacher's a moron.  Parents are media whores.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »

Rules on what you can say in school are ridiculous (believe me I am the authority)

And second, if a teacher started putting her hands over her ears and saying "lalalalalala", they are retarded and should not be teaching
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:28:32 AM »

Believe it or not, some children are disturbed by the idea of hunting.  So I think in a class of children the teacher was right in one way for curtailing the hunting talk - but it should have been done with more sensitivity for the child in question.

But the parents blew it completely and utterly out of proportion.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 11:30:06 AM »

The teacher has every right to limit classroom discussion of what she sees as upsetting.  In fact, if a teacher said that discussing hunting was inappropriate because many kids would be upset by this (reasonable for fourth-graders) this would be totally justifiable.  She was a little psychotic, but there's no "free speech" violation here.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »

I certainly wouldn't want to listen to some little turd ramble on about murdering animals in my classroom.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies