Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 05:31:48 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Internal polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Should internal polls, conducted by political campaigns, parties, or heavily-invested interest groups, be included in the database?
Yes, with no additional indicators   -4 (14.8%)
If they are indicated differently in the database; otherwise no   -7 (25.9%)
No   -16 (59.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Internal polls  (Read 4022 times)
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:01:13 am »
Ignore

I would not have a huge problem with Options 2 or 3.  However, under the current system -- where the polls get functioned into the average and are only indicated in the description -- I don't want them.

If anyone isn't familiar with the black hole that is internal polling, please ask.

Opinions? Smiley

(I'm really more interested in written opinions than poll votes, BTW)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:10:24 am by Alcon »Logged

n/c
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:00:05 am »
Ignore

No, why would any sane person actually want to add them? It's truly regrettable that some people feel the need to add anything resembling a poll regardless of its validity. I guess it gives them their jollies.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 08:14:52 am »
Ignore

Maybe in races where there aren't any recent decent polls. But we don't have a database of house races anyways, so there aren't many such.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:16:21 am »
Ignore

No, I won´t add them.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:30:56 am »
Ignore

We should add as many polls as possible.  Just because it's an internal doesn't mean it's wrong.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 11:52:48 am »
Ignore

Polls all together at this point mean nothing, so who cares?

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 02:20:59 pm »
Ignore

We should add as many polls as possible.  Just because it's an internal doesn't mean it's wrong.

Investigative journalism:Press release::Poll:Internal poll

That's all I can really say to that.  It would be like posting press releases on the AP wire.s

n/c
Wiz from Wis in Mass
Wiz in Wis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -5.57

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 05:25:22 pm »
Ignore

No. Polls need to come from third parties, the more objective, the better. Otherwise, we could be adding polls with ridiculous question wordings, orderings, etc.
Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 07:23:03 pm »
Ignore

I agree.  Dave has never said anything about entering internals, nor ARG polls.

And where would we draw the line?  Research 2000 does polls for DailyKos, and they clearly have a bias, so should we ban Research 2000 polls too?
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 08:28:01 pm »
Ignore

No. Polls need to come from third parties, the more objective, the better. Otherwise, we could be adding polls with ridiculous question wordings, orderings, etc.

If it's an absurd poll, we just won't add it.  I trust the judgement of the posters here.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 09:29:27 pm »
Ignore

No.
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 09:38:47 pm »
Ignore

If it's an absurd poll, we just won't add it.  I trust the judgement of the posters here.

This is goldmine material.

Option 3 (normal), by the way.

Aaron is pissed:

She was like "How did you get my number?  I don't handle this issue.  You have to call the South Bryant Campus for that.  I'll transfer you, but I don't handle it."  She said it in a slightly condescending tone.  I didn't tell her that Grumps gave me the number.  I just told her I looked it up.
Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:04 am »
Ignore

If we add ridiculous Uni polls, polls sponsored by the DailyKos, and ARG, then we should add internals.
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »
Ignore

And where would we draw the line?  Research 2000 does polls for DailyKos, and they clearly have a bias, so should we ban Research 2000 polls too?

We have clear indications that DailyKos does not futz with methodology.  That's a clear place to draw the line.

n/c
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 03:02:47 pm »
Ignore

We have clear indications that DailyKos does not futz with methodology.  That's a clear place to draw the line.

time will tell on that one...
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 03:15:13 pm »
Ignore

Actually, my asking Research2000 will tell on that one Tongue

n/c
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 03:24:54 pm »
Ignore

R2000 won't lie to you will they?
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 04:34:49 pm »
Ignore

R2000 won't lie to you will they?

Insofar as I'm still not convinced Scotty Rasmussen isn't pumping them out for Michael Badnarik

n/c
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 12:39:41 am »
Ignore

Dave, were you going to weigh in on this?
Dave Leip
leip
Administrator
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 10:35:44 pm »

Hi,
please no internal polls.  this database is for scientific polls done by private companies, not conducted by campaigns.  If i could get some time, I want to create a weighting system based on past accuracy that would help with the "quality" issues of some of these companies.
Thanks,
Dave
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 12:58:34 am »
Ignore

Thank you Dave!
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 05:26:54 am »
Ignore

Hi,
please no internal polls.  this database is for scientific polls done by private companies, not conducted by campaigns.  If i could get some time, I want to create a weighting system based on past accuracy that would help with the "quality" issues of some of these companies.
Thanks,
Dave

That would be awesome. And some of the rest of us should be able to help out. The poll system here now works ok but there is room for improvement. One way could be to use average error over the last 3 elections or something along those lines. So for this year the average results for 2002, 2004 and 2006 could be used. But that's only an idea.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 05:26:05 am »
Ignore

The problem with internal polls it that the fact that they are released is self-selecting.  Anytime one in twenty senators, governors, or whatever, hit an abnormal result that could generate excitement and contributions they are encouraged to release the poll.  But if the poll is in line with other polls (or expectations) of the state, they are encouraged to not do so.

So while the poll could be perfectly conducted, it is still flawed.  That'd be like if Gallup only released polls that were +5 McCain or better and Rasmussen only released ones +5 Obama.  If we knew this to be true, we wouldn't be liike "oh, lets just accept them both because they are solid firms and the more polls the better."

The main reason why this is even debated is inherent in the logic above: we want internal polls to be true because wheen we see them they are a hell of a lot more exciting, on average, than Scott Rasmussen or even Mr. Zogby.

this is real
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout