'No Child Left Behind' Improved Test Results, Study Finds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:28:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  'No Child Left Behind' Improved Test Results, Study Finds
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 'No Child Left Behind' Improved Test Results, Study Finds  (Read 5635 times)
Everett
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »

No Child Left Behind? More like Every Child Left Behind.

Although I have never been directly affected by NCLB, I was a teaching assistant for a school district that presumably receives allocations/funding for NCLB purposes, and I completely fail to see how this inane bullsh**t is actually helping students.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »

MODU,

Physics is not a required class in my state, and we're testing on it.  NCLB has destroyed our Earth Sciences class and forced its replacement with a generic Lab Science Methods class, which taught me nothing.  I still missed the pulleys problem, no fault of my own.  And since physics is a very-elective elective in Washington state, I don't see how you can blame this on the teacher...she did all they could, in teaching to the test, and it was a useless waste of our time and hers.

And now I can't operate a pulley or identify a sedimentary formation.  Life is crap.

Wow, physics isn't required out there?!?!?!   Now THAT is a surprise.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »

Minnesota is so anti-NCLB that it's considering simply not complying and forgetting the federal subsidies since the government is considering that its education system might be better non-NCLB without the subsidies than complying with that pile of crap than with it.

If President Obama can't get it repealed he better simply effectively block its enforcement.
Minnesota doesn't like it because it requires separate performance measurement of Blacks, Hmongs, and American Indians.  They prefer using just a single aggregate measure that really is more a measure of how Nordic they are.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »

Minnesota is so anti-NCLB that it's considering simply not complying and forgetting the federal subsidies since the government is considering that its education system might be better non-NCLB without the subsidies than complying with that pile of crap than with it.

If President Obama can't get it repealed he better simply effectively block its enforcement.
Minnesota doesn't like it because it requires separate performance measurement of Blacks, Hmongs, and American Indians.  They prefer using just a single aggregate measure that really is more a measure of how Nordic they are.

Isn't that actually a good thing on Minnesota's part, not pushing for racial division and treating everyone as equal?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 01:10:59 AM »

Isn't that actually a good thing on Minnesota's part, not pushing for racial division and treating everyone as equal?
If you want to make your statistics look better, it is.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies