Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 02:39:00 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Opinion of Pope John XXIII
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: ...
FF   -7 (77.8%)
HP   -2 (22.2%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Opinion of Pope John XXIII  (Read 2634 times)
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:01:09 am »
Ignore

Big time FF; one of the greatest Popes in history.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Passing Through a Screen Door
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:06:55 am »
Ignore

HP, like all Popes.

Victory over Inks dedicated in memory.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
YaBB God
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:35:08 am »
Ignore

Who?

"348. The rest of the party appreciates it if I don't start the game in Cyberpsychosis."
"I will kill 120,000 people" ~ Barack Obama
The United States is not only the world's first suburban nation, but it will also be its last. The world cannot sustain any more economies like ours. - Kenneth T. Jackson
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:39:54 am »
Ignore

Who?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_XXIII

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:15:43 pm »
Ignore

Why doesn't constine just convert to Catholicism already?

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:18:47 pm »
Ignore

Why would I convert to Catholicism?

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 01:05:23 pm »
Ignore

HP, like all Popes.
Quite an intelligent comment

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 01:10:16 pm »
Ignore

I imagine a lot of his opinion involves John XXIII's being a Righteous among the Nation.

n/c
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 01:15:58 pm »
Ignore

Actually I'll change my vote after reading this from the wiki article:

He is also commemorated on June 3 by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:25:51 pm »
Ignore

I imagine a lot of his opinion involves John XXIII's being a Righteous among the Nation.

That did play a large factor; in addition to his general acts of kindness towards the less fortunate.

MSUfan
Jtfdem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 4.70

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 01:37:11 pm »
Ignore

FF for calling the 2nd Vatican Council. It was sorely needed. Ughh, I don't think I could stand a Tridentine Mass.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 01:50:12 pm »
Ignore

FF for calling the 2nd Vatican Council. It was sorely needed. Ughh, I don't think I could stand a Tridentine Mass.
He created Vatican II, the ruination of the Catholic Church?  Then I vote HP

MSUfan
Jtfdem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 01:57:28 pm »
Ignore

He created Vatican II, the ruination of the Catholic Church?  Then I vote HP

Far too many people use V2 as a scapegoat for the Catholic Church's problems. That is simple-minded and pathetic in my opinion.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 02:17:25 pm »
Ignore

So your church says you can't hate all popes?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 02:19:12 pm »
Ignore

It's good you have some person in authority to dictate all of your religious beliefs to you.  Like about how much you hate that other group that has a person in authority who does that.

n/c
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 04:02:22 pm »
Ignore

Far too many people use V2 as a scapegoat for the Catholic Church's problems. That is simple-minded and pathetic in my opinion.
I don't mean Catholic Church problems as far as sex abuse, I mean Catholic Church's problem in becoming more of a liberal Protestant church to try and attract new members rather than keeping strict conservative teachings

BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 11:01:43 pm »
Ignore

It's good you have some person in authority to dictate all of your religious beliefs to you.  Like about how much you hate that other group that has a person in authority who does that.

Religious beliefs? It's a FF/HP poll. I meant that as a joke almost. Please note my reasoning for my former HP vote to boot. It is worth noting though how Protestant denoms like the one linked in the wiki article actually show respect for Popes, more than I ever show (ELCA and a bunch of other Protestant denoms issued glowing statements about John Paul II after he died) yet the current piece of trash Pope is hardly reciprocating that respect.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 11:09:23 pm »
Ignore

He's the "good" Pope isn't he? For the late John Paul, I would have voted neither. He was a mixed bag in my moral universe.
MSUfan
Jtfdem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 11:12:22 pm »
Ignore

I don't mean Catholic Church problems as far as sex abuse, I mean Catholic Church's problem in becoming more of a liberal Protestant church to try and attract new members rather than keeping strict conservative teachings

No, they simply addressed problems that needed attention and reaffirmed the Catholic faith and doctrine.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 11:25:16 am »
Ignore

No, they simply addressed problems that needed attention and reaffirmed the Catholic faith and doctrine.
Getting rid of the Latin mass was a huge mistake.  The Catholic Church is a bastardized version of its former self, I don't think I enjoy belonging to a church (meaning the version of the church now not its teaching, which I do admire) which allows people who support abortion and other acts of violence to become members.  The church should be about purity and having members who adhere to the doctrine, not about inclusion.  If someone wants to say their a Catholic, they should live like one, which has nothing to do with going to mass.

MSUfan
Jtfdem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 12:55:09 pm »
Ignore

Getting rid of the Latin mass was a huge mistake.  The Catholic Church is a bastardized version of its former self, I don't think I enjoy belonging to a church (meaning the version of the church now not its teaching, which I do admire) which allows people who support abortion and other acts of violence to become members.  The church should be about purity and having members who adhere to the doctrine, not about inclusion.  If someone wants to say their a Catholic, they should live like one, which has nothing to do with going to mass.

The Tridentine mass is a optional way of conducting mass. It always has been. There has never been a universal way of saying mass in the Catholic Church. The tridentine mass was only largely used after 1570 and the Council of Trent.

I have a fundamental disagreement with you about the direction of the Church. I believe the Church must focus on equality in the Church, ministry to the poor and participative liturgy.
Remember, Jesus kept some diverse company in his travels, many that were unwelcome at synagogue's back then. Acceptance is key to the future of the Church.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 02:14:49 pm »
Ignore

Flem, I understand your point.  But don't you think there is a difference between acceptance of people and acceptance of their ideas?  Jesus was trying to show people the light, not ignoring their flaws

MSUfan
Jtfdem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 02:26:06 pm »
Ignore

Flem, I understand your point.  But don't you think there is a difference between acceptance of people and acceptance of their ideas?  Jesus was trying to show people the light, not ignoring their flaws

Not necessarily. I believe one must keep an open mind, consider the logic of one's actions and how it affects the Church, and reflect openly over controversial issue.
The Church cannot simply ignore its own members ideas and belief. We must have an open dialect.
The Vatican must not continue avoiding real debate on real issues that potentially harm the entire Church.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout