Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:25:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?  (Read 4064 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »

Hell, I tell people I'm from San Francisco because they don't know where San Jose is.

How could that be, after this?

Do you know the way to San Jose?
I've been away so long
I may go wrong and lose my way
Do you know the way to San Jose
I'm going back to find some piece of mind San Jose -a
L. A. is a great big freeway
Put a hundred down a by a car
In a week - or maybe two - they'll make you a star
Weeks turn into years and quickly pass
And all the stars there never were a parkin' cars and pumpin' gas
I've got lots of friends in San Jose
Wo oh oh oh
Can't wait to get back to San Jose
Wo oh oh oh
Do You know the way to San Jose?

I don't think they're particularly familiar with really old music. Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »

Hell, I tell people I'm from San Francisco because they don't know where San Jose is.

How could that be, after this?

Do you know the way to San Jose?
I've been away so long
I may go wrong and lose my way
Do you know the way to San Jose
I'm going back to find some piece of mind San Jose -a
L. A. is a great big freeway
Put a hundred down a by a car
In a week - or maybe two - they'll make you a star
Weeks turn into years and quickly pass
And all the stars there never were a parkin' cars and pumpin' gas
I've got lots of friends in San Jose
Wo oh oh oh
Can't wait to get back to San Jose
Wo oh oh oh
Do You know the way to San Jose?

I don't think they're particularly familiar with really old music. Wink

Xahar, please stop and go outside and play with your lil friends........
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2008, 03:02:19 PM by Casual Fraction™ »

I'm somewhat annoyed by being lumped with Seattle, if only because we're a metro area by virtue of sprawl connection only.

Dallas-Fort Worth; Seattle-Tacoma and Minneapolis-St. Paul are probably yes answers to this question.  There really is no suburb.  It's just two cities.

Also, I think in Los Angeles there are actually "suburbs" that are surrounded by LA on all sides (Inglewood?) so they are kind of "in the city limits" though they are incorporated.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »

I'm somewhat annoyed by being lumped with Seattle, if only because we're a metro area by virtue of sprawl connection only.

Dallas-Fort Worth; Seattle-Tacoma and Minneapolis-St. Paul are probably yes answers to this question.  There really is no suburb.  It's just two cities.

What about the Bay Area? Is it three cities? Or more?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »

The bay area is easy because everyone knows what you are talking about and you do not have to say a specific city..... oh yeah f*** Tampa. LOL
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »

It is like three metro areas in one.  San Francisco-San Rafael-Redwood City; San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara-Cupertino; Oakland-Alameda... I guess Concord and Walnut Creek can go with Oakland, too.

Oakland and San Jose metro areas are suburbs of a San Francisco metro area.  Totally ed up stuff.

The BART is the only thing in common and to San Jose even that is just recent.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 03:13:05 PM »

No, in fact, I think it is more accurate than just going by "city-proper".  I don't think of Pittsburgh as one city with 300,000 people, I think of it as an area with 2.5 million.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 03:19:41 PM »

It is like three metro areas in one.  San Francisco-San Rafael-Redwood City; San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara-Cupertino; Oakland-Alameda... I guess Concord and Walnut Creek can go with Oakland, too.

Oakland and San Jose metro areas are suburbs of a San Francisco metro area.  Totally ed up stuff.

I guess it is 3 different metros but in reality there is no stop in urbanization anywhere along the bay. Even all the inland areas have been built up and now the bay area is encroaching upon the central valley. But like I said it is easy for us because when anybody asks me where I am from I say bay area and not Pleasanton or SF or Oakland.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »

It is like three metro areas in one.  San Francisco-San Rafael-Redwood City; San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara-Cupertino; Oakland-Alameda... I guess Concord and Walnut Creek can go with Oakland, too.

I guess it is 3 different metros but in reality there is no stop in urbanization anywhere along the bay. Even all the inland areas have been built up and now the bay area is encroaching upon the central valley. But like I said it is easy for us because when anybody asks me where I am from I say bay area and not Pleasanton or SF or Oakland.

The Census Bureau actually defines it as two metro areas: SF-Oakland and San Jose-Santa Clara. Really stupid.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »

No. Why would I? I don't have stupid hangups about suburbs that I stupidly obsess over. Besides, if I tell someone out of state I live in Smyrna they have no idea where I'm talking about, but if I tell them Atlanta or metro-Atlanta they do know.

Or think that you live in the Byzantine Empire.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »

Voted yes, but meant to vote no.

I don't have a problem with people from Orleans saying they're from Ottawa or people from Nepean saying they're from Ottawa.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 11:04:53 PM »

No, in fact, I think it is more accurate than just going by "city-proper".  I don't think of Pittsburgh as one city with 300,000 people, I think of it as an area with 2.5 million.

Despite the fact that the outer fringes of the area are absolutely nothing like inner Pittsburgh?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »

Despite the fact that the outer fringes of the area are absolutely nothing like inner Pittsburgh?

If city limits were divided like that then Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, etc. would all be different cities.  Different interests, building styles, and industries shouldn't mean it's not all one city.  If anything, it makes it MORE urban.

If you don't want people to think you live in a suburb, refer to your location as "Downtown Minneapolis" or something so people get a vision of skyscrapers in their head.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 11:14:22 PM »

Oh yeah, keeps me up at night all the time.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:30 PM »

Doesn't the term "City of London" just refer to the London CBD and not the actual London city limits?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »

If city limits were divided like that then Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, etc. would all be different cities.  Different interests, building styles, and industries shouldn't mean it's not all one city.  If anything, it makes it MORE urban.

If you don't want people to think you live in a suburb, refer to your location as "Downtown Minneapolis" or something so people get a vision of skyscrapers in their head.

I don't live in Downtown Minneapolis, I live near Uptown Minneapolis.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 11:39:34 PM »

The Census Bureau actually defines it as two metro areas: SF-Oakland and San Jose-Santa Clara. Really stupid.

Yeah the same bureau that defines the whole bay area as the San Jose bay area instead of SF just because it has a higher population. They are just good for numbers and nothing else.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »

Actually, yes. A city's population is what is within the city limits. That's it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »

Actually, yes. A city's population is what is within the city limits. That's it.

Values BRTD and Keystone Phil share (UPDATED 6/25/08):

(1) Vern Troyer hitting Mike Myers in the balls isn't funny
(2) City populations should only include people who live within the city limits

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 01:29:06 AM »

Doesn't the term "City of London" just refer to the London CBD and not the actual London city limits?

Quite right.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 04:06:07 AM »

Not annoyed at all.  All the Sacramento suburbs are just Sacramento suburbs; there's not much to them individually.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2008, 07:11:10 AM »

Quite right.

It's actually the boundaries of the old Mediaeval city (although not quite; they changed things slightly a few years ago as the boundary of the City was actually running through buildings and so on...). The old LCC area is better for working out where the main city ends and the suburbs begin, but isn't perfect.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2008, 07:23:26 AM »

No.

I'll say it again - suburbs are part of the city because they look to the city for work, for entertainment and services. They provide the city with money and should help pay for the financing of the city. Casting out the suburbs, or having them sit beyond the city boundary for political reasons, does not change the fact that they 'look' to the city. What it does change is that they will continue to use the cities infrastructure, it's roads, its public transport, throw litter on the streets that the city has to pay to pick up etc...but not contribute to the city financially (at least directly through taxation)

As most of you know I live just outside a city which in nearly every other set up I should be living in. As a result you have the poorest city in Scotland surrounded by towns and suburbs from Bearsden, to Bothwell to Newton Mearns that are amongst the nations richest.

The Glasgow Metropolitan area has around 1.25 to 1.5 million inhabitants depending on definition. The city proper has just 600,000
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15:51 AM »

I am. I live in the NYC metro area, but I don't live in the city. I mean, it's just.. eraaghhh! IT' MAKES ME SO ANGRY! I've been sucker punching everyone in a fit of anger, and as they lay bleeding on the ground, I yell at them "YOU DONT LIVE IN THE CITY! DO YOU?! I DIDN'T THINK SO BITCH!"
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »

No.  You really need to get out of the state (or even outstate) more, BRTD; no one knows the suburbs of a city outside the metro area.  It might be made more confusing in my case because just about every state in the union has a "Plymouth" Tongue

What's especially amusing in some people's faces is the confusion when I say I'm from "a suburb of Minneapolis".  "Minnesota has cities big enough to have suburbs...?!?".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies