Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:35:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?  (Read 4047 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »

I prefer the term 'city' be used to refer to within the city limits, as suburbs can be very different from the central city. I don't mind someone saying [city] area or [city] metro. That said, inner suburbs of some cities (e.g. Boston) are actually more urban than some areas within the central city (e.g. Phoenix).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »

Yes, especially when it is forced upon us like what has happened all across Ontario and Quebec. I hate how Ottawa is now mostly farm land Tongue (not only are our suburbs part of the city, but so are most of our exurbs and everything in between)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »

Voted yes, but meant to vote no.

I don't have a problem with people from Orleans saying they're from Ottawa or people from Nepean saying they're from Ottawa.

Except that Orleans and Nepean are *part* of the new city as is Kanata, Stittsville, Riverside South, Cumberland, Manotick, Richmond, Munster, Constance Bay, Fitzroy Harbour, Blackburn Hamley, Beacon Hill, Blossom Park, Greely, Osgoode, Kars, etc, etc.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2008, 10:32:12 PM »

No, in fact, I think it is more accurate than just going by "city-proper".  I don't think of Pittsburgh as one city with 300,000 people, I think of it as an area with 2.5 million.

Despite the fact that the outer fringes of the area are absolutely nothing like inner Pittsburgh?

I don't share your paranoia about people maybe assuming I'm from Mt. Lebanon and not actually living in the city limits.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01:46 PM »

No.  You really need to get out of the state (or even outstate) more, BRTD; no one knows the suburbs of a city outside the metro area.  It might be made more confusing in my case because just about every state in the union has a "Plymouth" Tongue

What's especially amusing in some people's faces is the confusion when I say I'm from "a suburb of Minneapolis".  "Minnesota has cities big enough to have suburbs...?!?".

I did live in outstate. Most people there are aware of the suburbs. They can't name every single one obviously, but neither can most people in the metro. Most people in outstate know of Plymouth.

And the second part proves people are just really f**king stupid since every state except Alaska has suburbs.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »

No, I am not annoyed when people refer to an entire metro area by using the name of the central city.

BRTD, there is more in this world than black and white.  You really need some thorazine or prozac or something... to calm you down and stop you from taking absolutely EVERYTHING to the furthest extreme.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 02:29:46 AM »

You would never hear someone from St. Paul say they live in Minneapolis (or even Stillwater for that matter.)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 07:12:24 PM »

Is this really the most nagging problem you have in life? Get some therapy before life throws something serious your way.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »

Is this really the most nagging problem you have in life? Get some therapy before life throws something serious your way.

No, he also has serious problems with WalterMitty, Gully Foyle and Ben Constine.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

I thought you'd agree due to your talk about how much people in northern Mississippi hate Memphis and were offended by Cheney referring to their area as "Memphis".
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »

I thought you'd agree due to your talk about how much people in northern Mississippi hate Memphis and were offended by Cheney referring to their area as "Memphis".

Yeah, the people there live just across an imaginary line and think Memphis is so terrible. Meanwhile, they're flying out of the Memphis airport, wearing their University of Memphis tee-shirts and going to Grizzlies games. It's so obviously the same community. As a sidenote I do think the people down there are stupid for living in a suburb that was built right next to a slum. It kind of defeats the entire purpose of living the burbs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies