Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:59:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?  (Read 4089 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:21 AM »

I am greatly.

When I say a city's name, I will never use it to refer to anything except what is in that exact city limits. If it's one block out of the city limits, it's not part of the city, period. If you don't live in the city limits, you don't live in the city period. I don't care about what the statistics are on the "metro area" either considering that includes parts that are nothing alike, the only thing I care about is the stats on the exact city.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:21:16 AM »

I hit yes, but meant no.  Those suburban residents probably still use most of the cities services and identify themselves with the major city they surround rather than "Greenlake Hills Community" or whatever.

People from Eden Prairie would never say they are from Minneapolis. Most would probably be offended at the idea they're from Minneapolis actually.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »

It bugs me because I don't want people assuming I live in some suburb when I say I live in Minneapolis. I want it clear I live within Minneapolis city limits.

Before I moved when I said I was moving to Minneapolis I had so many people assuming I meant some suburb. It was really annoying.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:06:34 AM »

No...most people in Allegheny County refer to themselves as Pittsburghers.

I technically live out of the city limits but only 5 miles from Heinz Field.

I live closer to downtown than many city residents do.

That's only possible because Pittsburgh is oddly shaped.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »

No, but I prefer for people to add in some kind of disclaimer such as "metro" or "area" or even just "around."

Yes, at least do this.

UNLESS YOU LIVE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THAT CITY, PERIOD, END OF STORY.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »

No, but I prefer for people to add in some kind of disclaimer such as "metro" or "area" or even just "around."

Yes, at least do this.

UNLESS YOU LIVE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THAT CITY, PERIOD, END OF STORY.

Even living inside the city limits can be deceiving.  I mean, Staten Island counts as part of New York City.  And parts of Denver don't even look like they're part of a major city at all.

Regardless they're still in the city.

I'm annoyed because of many conversations I had like this before I moved.

Me: I'm moving soon anyway.
Person: To where?
Me: Minneapolis.
Person: What area?
Me: Well the place I got is kind of on the northeast side.
Person: So like the Brooklyn Park area?
Me: NO IT'S IN MINNEAPOLIS, WHERE ELSE WOULD IT BE?

Of course here no one says they're from "Minneapolis", they say they're from whatever neighborhood they're from. I'm from "Whittier, near Uptown".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:04:53 PM »

No, in fact, I think it is more accurate than just going by "city-proper".  I don't think of Pittsburgh as one city with 300,000 people, I think of it as an area with 2.5 million.

Despite the fact that the outer fringes of the area are absolutely nothing like inner Pittsburgh?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »

No, in fact, I think it is more accurate than just going by "city-proper".  I don't think of Pittsburgh as one city with 300,000 people, I think of it as an area with 2.5 million.

Despite the fact that the outer fringes of the area are absolutely nothing like inner Pittsburgh?

If city limits were divided like that then Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, etc. would all be different cities.  Different interests, building styles, and industries shouldn't mean it's not all one city.  If anything, it makes it MORE urban.

If you don't want people to think you live in a suburb, refer to your location as "Downtown Minneapolis" or something so people get a vision of skyscrapers in their head.

I don't live in Downtown Minneapolis, I live near Uptown Minneapolis.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01:46 PM »

No.  You really need to get out of the state (or even outstate) more, BRTD; no one knows the suburbs of a city outside the metro area.  It might be made more confusing in my case because just about every state in the union has a "Plymouth" Tongue

What's especially amusing in some people's faces is the confusion when I say I'm from "a suburb of Minneapolis".  "Minnesota has cities big enough to have suburbs...?!?".

I did live in outstate. Most people there are aware of the suburbs. They can't name every single one obviously, but neither can most people in the metro. Most people in outstate know of Plymouth.

And the second part proves people are just really f**king stupid since every state except Alaska has suburbs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:29:46 AM »

You would never hear someone from St. Paul say they live in Minneapolis (or even Stillwater for that matter.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

Is this really the most nagging problem you have in life? Get some therapy before life throws something serious your way.

I thought you'd agree due to your talk about how much people in northern Mississippi hate Memphis and were offended by Cheney referring to their area as "Memphis".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies