Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:39:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?  (Read 4113 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: June 25, 2008, 01:25:38 AM »

No; city boundaries can vary greatly. The City of London is tiny. And the City of Tokyo was abolished in 1943.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:36:26 PM »

Hell, I tell people I'm from San Francisco because they don't know where San Jose is.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:41:54 PM »

I grew up in  parts of the city of Los Angeles that were about 10 miles and 18 miles respectively from the city center.

Southern California cities are weird. San Pedro has no business being in Los Angeles. But it is.

And then there's San Diego. Why exactly does a thin strip run through San Diego Bay?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »

Hell, I tell people I'm from San Francisco because they don't know where San Jose is.

How could that be, after this?

Do you know the way to San Jose?
I've been away so long
I may go wrong and lose my way
Do you know the way to San Jose
I'm going back to find some piece of mind San Jose -a
L. A. is a great big freeway
Put a hundred down a by a car
In a week - or maybe two - they'll make you a star
Weeks turn into years and quickly pass
And all the stars there never were a parkin' cars and pumpin' gas
I've got lots of friends in San Jose
Wo oh oh oh
Can't wait to get back to San Jose
Wo oh oh oh
Do You know the way to San Jose?

I don't think they're particularly familiar with really old music. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »

I'm somewhat annoyed by being lumped with Seattle, if only because we're a metro area by virtue of sprawl connection only.

Dallas-Fort Worth; Seattle-Tacoma and Minneapolis-St. Paul are probably yes answers to this question.  There really is no suburb.  It's just two cities.

What about the Bay Area? Is it three cities? Or more?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »

I'm somewhat annoyed by being lumped with Seattle, if only because we're a metro area by virtue of sprawl connection only.

Dallas-Fort Worth; Seattle-Tacoma and Minneapolis-St. Paul are probably yes answers to this question.  There really is no suburb.  It's just two cities.

What about the Bay Area? Is it three cities? Or more?

It is like three metro areas in one.  San Francisco-San Rafael-Redwood City; San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara-Cupertino; Oakland-Alameda... I guess Concord and Walnut Creek can go with Oakland, too.

Oakland and San Jose metro areas are suburbs of a San Francisco metro area.  Totally ed up stuff.

The BART is the only thing in common and to San Jose even that is just recent.

I guess it is 3 different metros but in reality there is no stop in urbanization anywhere along the bay. Even all the inland areas have been built up and now the bay area is encroaching upon the central valley. But like I said it is easy for us because when anybody asks me where I am from I say bay area and not Pleasanton or SF or Oakland.

The Census Bureau actually defines it as two metro areas: SF-Oakland and San Jose-Santa Clara. Really stupid.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 01:29:06 AM »

Doesn't the term "City of London" just refer to the London CBD and not the actual London city limits?

Quite right.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »

Is this really the most nagging problem you have in life? Get some therapy before life throws something serious your way.

No, he also has serious problems with WalterMitty, Gully Foyle and Ben Constine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies