Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:48:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Are you annoyed by lumping entire metro areas in with the central city?  (Read 4084 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 25, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »

I hit yes, but meant no.  Those suburban residents probably still use most of the cities services and identify themselves with the major city they surround rather than "Greenlake Hills Community" or whatever.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:35:16 AM »

I hit yes, but meant no.  Those suburban residents probably still use most of the cities services and identify themselves with the major city they surround rather than "Greenlake Hills Community" or whatever.

People from Eden Prairie would never say they are from Minneapolis. Most would probably be offended at the idea they're from Minneapolis actually.

Exception to the rule.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2008, 03:02:19 PM by Casual Fraction™ »

I'm somewhat annoyed by being lumped with Seattle, if only because we're a metro area by virtue of sprawl connection only.

Dallas-Fort Worth; Seattle-Tacoma and Minneapolis-St. Paul are probably yes answers to this question.  There really is no suburb.  It's just two cities.

Also, I think in Los Angeles there are actually "suburbs" that are surrounded by LA on all sides (Inglewood?) so they are kind of "in the city limits" though they are incorporated.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »

I'm somewhat annoyed by being lumped with Seattle, if only because we're a metro area by virtue of sprawl connection only.

Dallas-Fort Worth; Seattle-Tacoma and Minneapolis-St. Paul are probably yes answers to this question.  There really is no suburb.  It's just two cities.

What about the Bay Area? Is it three cities? Or more?

It is like three metro areas in one.  San Francisco-San Rafael-Redwood City; San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara-Cupertino; Oakland-Alameda... I guess Concord and Walnut Creek can go with Oakland, too.

Oakland and San Jose metro areas are suburbs of a San Francisco metro area.  Totally ed up stuff.

The BART is the only thing in common and to San Jose even that is just recent.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »

No, in fact, I think it is more accurate than just going by "city-proper".  I don't think of Pittsburgh as one city with 300,000 people, I think of it as an area with 2.5 million.

Despite the fact that the outer fringes of the area are absolutely nothing like inner Pittsburgh?

If city limits were divided like that then Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, etc. would all be different cities.  Different interests, building styles, and industries shouldn't mean it's not all one city.  If anything, it makes it MORE urban.

If you don't want people to think you live in a suburb, refer to your location as "Downtown Minneapolis" or something so people get a vision of skyscrapers in their head.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »

Actually, yes. A city's population is what is within the city limits. That's it.

Values BRTD and Keystone Phil share (UPDATED 6/25/08):

(1) Vern Troyer hitting Mike Myers in the balls isn't funny
(2) City populations should only include people who live within the city limits

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies