Breaking: Gun right affirmed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:39:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Gun right affirmed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking: Gun right affirmed  (Read 17832 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« on: June 26, 2008, 01:52:27 PM »

Note to gun opponents:  Guns do not kill people, people do.

I'm a strong supporter of gun rights. But that line is perhaps the most ridiculous political slogan in political discourse today; please never utter it again.

As to the actual subject matter: On the threshold question of whether the Second Amendment protects any meaningful private right, this decision was so obviously sound, that it's frankly somewhat disheartening that four justices could dissent on that point.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Curious. Did you read his opinion in each case; judiciously examine the historical materials; contrast his reasoning with various competing arguments; and then arrive at this conclusion? Or did you simply pick the result that strikes you as more intuitively just, and assume it must be correct? (There is admittedly middle ground, but few seem to occupy it.)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »

I thought Emsworth would call you out on your logical error. But he didn't, so I will.

There's a difference between saying X does not, by itself and without more, mean Y, and saying that X is irrelevant to the determination of Y.

Define "girl" as a non-adult female. If someone is a non-adult, that is relevant to the determination of whether the person is a girl. If someone is female, that is relevant to the determination of whether the person is a girl. Neither, by itself, is adequate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies