$7 gallon gasoline, 10 million fewer cars by 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:24:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $7 gallon gasoline, 10 million fewer cars by 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: $7 gallon gasoline, 10 million fewer cars by 2010  (Read 4084 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080626.wrubin0626/BNStory/energy/home

It's the beginning of a wild ride, folks.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »

We're at the point where the government needs to nationalize the oil industry. I think we probably passed that point a few years ago.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »

Yeah because Nationalized Oil Companies work so well for Mexico and Saudi.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »

Where are these 10 million cars going to go?  And is that a net loss?  I'm guessing $7 gas will bring a LOT of new cars into existence.  You probably will be able to get a great deal on giant SUV's, hell, you can already.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »

Too bad that the Republicans have done nothing for alternative energy research and public transportation. Thanks for screwing us all over, scumbags.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »

Too bad that the Republicans have done nothing for alternative energy research and public transportation. Thanks for screwing us all over, scumbags.
If only that were true!  Republicans were big in screwing us over with the Ethanol subsidies right?  If past results are an indicator of future results, the govt should avoid trying to "help".
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »

Actually Mexicans love their nationalized oil and when I went there last year when gas prices were at 3 dollars a gallon, prices there were almost at 2 dollars.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »

Actually Mexicans love their nationalized oil and when I went there last year when gas prices were at 3 dollars a gallon, prices there were almost at 2 dollars.
Were other things 30% cheaper there or just gas?
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 02:53:42 PM »

I know what you are trying to play at here but Mexico's economy is growing at a very large rate and while I understand their oil industry isn't perfect it works just as well as ours.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 02:58:44 PM »

My subtle point wasn't that clever.  I was just pointing out that everything from land to Doritos to beer is cheaper, often quite a bit cheaper, than the US.  Saying, 'look, gas is cheaper there so their oil industry must be better', isn't a conclusion I'd jump to.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »

If only that were true!  Republicans were big in screwing us over with the Ethanol subsidies right? 

And billions in hydrogen research, just to play catch-up with Germany and Japan.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »

Right.  And both are dead end technologies.  The future is electricity.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »

....and fires will ravage the earth....
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 01:45:55 AM »

This economy would collapse if fuel reached 5$ a gallon. I'd hate to see what happens if it ever hit 7$, especially for diesel which is the real life blood of the US.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 02:54:16 AM »

I think the more dramatic change will occur under the radar (pardon the pun) in the form of decreased air travel and increased travel by passenger rail.  Amtrak is booming right now and I believe they recently got a desperately needed increase in funding from the government that should allow them to make some major improvements.

I really hope that increased gas prices also spur more cities to expand their public transit options.

jesmo

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »

Do not worry about it guys, things always have their ways of working out...
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »

Oh sure they do... it's just that by the time it's all finished settling out the US is a power confined mostly to north america, most cars are in scrap heaps and passenger rail is a major growth industry. Also, all the suburbs are slums.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 10:28:46 AM »

I know what you are trying to play at here but Mexico's economy is growing at a very large rate and while I understand their oil industry isn't perfect it works just as well as ours.
Mexico's great, that's why no one ever wants to leave and people are just flocking there by the milllions.  Oh wait, or is it the other way around?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »

Pretty unlikely. Oil's in the midst of a speculative bubble much like real estate was a few years ago and the techs were a few years before that. Look at a graph of the price of oil of over time. This commodity crashes hard. Hopefully, we can shift to an alternative fuel and kill this mess.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 10:57:20 AM »

This economy would collapse if fuel reached 5$ a gallon. I'd hate to see what happens if it ever hit 7$, especially for diesel which is the real life blood of the US.

Good thing you're going to find out, right? Wink

Pretty unlikely. Oil's in the midst of a speculative bubble much like real estate was a few years ago and the techs were a few years before that. Look at a graph of the price of oil of over time. This commodity crashes hard. Hopefully, we can shift to an alternative fuel and kill this mess.
What people don't get is this. We *may* be sitting on a short-term speculative bubble that leaves a big mess in the industry for now, but the *long* term trend will be up. The tech sector crashed because of massive glut of capacity, and so did the Japanese economy in 1990. There's no massive glut of capacity in the oil industry.

If we started a crash course to get *off* oil in 1975 we'd be fine right now (except for the Saudis who would be living on food stamps). We won't instantly switch (and anyone who thinks so is delusional, since the lead time will take decades) so there will be a drop of living standards for everyone until alternative fuels becomes cheap and plentiful.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 11:43:54 AM »

Oh sure they do... it's just that by the time it's all finished settling out the US is a power confined mostly to north america, most cars are in scrap heaps and passenger rail is a major growth industry. Also, all the suburbs are slums.

The new American Industry would be providing conversion kits for existing vehicles to make them economical.  Why Detroit hasn't had a start-up in this industry yet, I have no idea.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »

The new American Industry would be providing conversion kits for existing vehicles to make them economical.  Why Detroit hasn't had a start-up in this industry yet, I have no idea.

Uh huh. You expect Detroit to not continue it's pattern of suicide?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 03:44:15 AM »

Good thing you're going to find out, right? Wink

No, I don't pay for my diesel.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 07:18:27 AM »

Uh huh. You expect Detroit to not continue it's pattern of suicide?

Call it my "audacity of hope."  hahaha
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »

The infrastructure of the US is heavily dependent on automobiles which can operate on reasonably priced gasoline.

It is funny ... for the past 30 years high fuel prices have been the 2000 lb elephant in the room.  Democrats talk about alternative energy, but there's no reliable sources.  Republicans talk about increasing the oil supply (but frankly if you increase the supply we'll find more ways to consume it).

The one thing I can't believe NO ONE seems to talk about (and this is the easiest solution and a sure-fire one) is improving our national public transit systems.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies