Americans Oppose Income Redistribution to Fix Economy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:27:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Americans Oppose Income Redistribution to Fix Economy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Americans Oppose Income Redistribution to Fix Economy  (Read 3980 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »
« edited: June 28, 2008, 04:04:32 PM by Torie »

Yes, they do according to Gallup, overwhelmingly. So should McCain lash out at Obama as a class warrior?  Should the Democrat party even exist?  So many questions, so little time. Opebo, I feel your pain.Tongue  The poll by a 10% margin also says voters think government is doing too much, rather than too little.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:08:06 PM »

Another badly worded poll.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/15/news/economy/election_moneypoll/

here's a poll kind of contradicting your poll.

you can mold the result of any poll if you phrase the question right.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »

Well, that's quite a false dichotomy you've got there.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »

Extremely badly worded question. People want income redistribution( i.e. healthcare) but they dont want to call it that. Plus Obama could argue that the Bush tax cuts was class warfare against the middle class, since they have to pay a higher share of tax revenue today than during the Clinton days.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:06:35 PM »

Extremely badly worded question. People want income redistribution( i.e. healthcare) but they dont want to call it that.
Or more importantly, they want it, but they don't want to pay for it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2008, 06:12:52 PM by Torie »

Extremely badly worded question. People want income redistribution( i.e. healthcare) but they dont want to call it that. Plus Obama could argue that the Bush tax cuts was class warfare against the middle class, since they have to pay a higher share of tax revenue today than during the Clinton days.

The middle class share bit is a Kerry sound bite that is misleading.

The burden went down for all income groups with the Bush tax cuts, but yes the share went up slightly for the middle second and third  quintiles, and down for the top quintile and the bottom two quintiles. The top quintile still pays the bulk of the federal taxes, indeed 80% of all income taxes, and 64% of all federal taxes, including SS, Medicare, and gas, booze and tobacco taxes.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »

Extremely badly worded question. People want income redistribution( i.e. healthcare) but they dont want to call it that.

Which is precisely the reason why all attempts to try and provide universal healthcare through the government have failed and will continue to fail.  Well, there's other issues in that bag, such as doctor choice and rationing that tend to kill it as well, but neither here nor there.

Although, I will admit that an answer to this same question thirty years ago would have looked quite different, even badly worded as it is, as it is today.  The Democratic party has naturally, adjusted accordingly. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 06:43:52 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2008, 06:51:02 PM by memphis »

Further proof the majority of Americans have no clue what they believe:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/27208/Americans-More-Favor-Heavily-Taxing-Rich-Now-Than-1939.aspx
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »

Which is precisely the reason why all attempts to try and provide universal healthcare through the government have failed and will continue to fail. 

Perhaps, perhaps not...

It could be done. Maybe through less confrontational means or piecemeal efforts. Not exactly how we think it might.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »

Obama's plan allegedly redistributes money from the top 1% mostly to the top 20% income, aka the upper middle class enrichment act, and soak the hyper rich. Read all about it here.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »

Obama's plan allegedly redistributes money from the top 1% mostly to the top 20% income, aka the upper middle class enrichment act, and soak the hyper rich. Read all about it here.

That is good.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »

That is good.

Not good...Great!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »

That is good.

The upper middle class needs redistribution in their favor?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »

That is good.

Not good...Great!

Is this the syndrome of the greedy parvenus seeking to exchange the brass ring for one made of gold via government confiscation?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »

That is good.

Certainly not. If anything, we should be paying more taxes.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »

I've read a more neutral think-tank that came out to about this:

<65k: Obama would decrease 227% more than McCain
$65k-$115k: Obama would decrease 28% more than McCain
$115k-$160k: McCain would decrease 19% more than Obama
>$3 million: McCain would decrease some; Obama would increase about 3x that

I'm not entirely sure that this accomplishes what you would say.  Unfortunately the linked article says nothing of methodology.

I have that written down, and forgot to note the source, but I demand to be believed anyway.

Apples and oranges. I will explain if need be. I also don't think the top 1% starts at a mere 192K. Hey, a legal associate at an elite law firm makes close to that.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

That is good.

Its better than the super rich having it. Of course giving it to that second and third quintile that is paying more taxes would be the best and economically make the most sense. What the super rich do is invest their money all over the globe. Great for the world but not so good for America. If you give that money to the middle class they will spend that money in America. This is not because they love America so much but because they have no other choice.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »

I've read a more neutral think-tank that came out to about this:

<65k: Obama would decrease 227% more than McCain
$65k-$115k: Obama would decrease 28% more than McCain
$115k-$160k: McCain would decrease 19% more than Obama
>$3 million: McCain would decrease some; Obama would increase about 3x that

I'm not entirely sure that this accomplishes what you would say.  Unfortunately the linked article says nothing of methodology.

I have that written down, and forgot to note the source, but I demand to be believed anyway.

Apples and oranges. I will explain if need be. I also don't think the top 1% starts at a mere 192K. Hey, a legal associate at an elite law firm makes close to that.

I just re-read your post and deleted mine, but not fast enough.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 07:52:09 PM »

I missread the article. I thought it was redistribution to all classes, not just the top 20%.

hmmm.....my family falls in the top 20%.....

Well how else do you expect my parents to pay for my college at MSU and internships in lansing. Tongue
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »

That is good.

Let me explain if they get more redistributed wealth, it will release them from a good number of tax burdens that will help them invest, create new businesses, spend etc, possibly creating an era where small businesses/internet business is much more feasible. I doubt it though...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »

That is good.

Its better than the super rich having it. Of course giving it to that second and third quintile that is paying more taxes would be the best and economically make the most sense. What the super rich do is invest their money all over the globe. Great for the world but not so good for America. If you give that money to the middle class they will spend that money in America. This is not because they love America so much but because they have no other choice.

That is totally errant economically, but I'm tired. We should carry on some other time on that one.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 07:55:42 PM »

That is good.

Let me explain if they get more redistributed wealth, it will release them from a good number of tax burdens that will help them invest, create new businesses, spend etc, possibly creating an era where small businesses/internet business is much more feasible. I doubt it though...

Charity begins at home doesn't it?  Smiley
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »

In any case, it's certainly better than the 'trickle down economics'/regeanomics that Bush and McCain worship.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 07:58:41 PM »

In any case, it's certainly better than the 'trickle down economics'/regeanomics that Bush and McCain worship.
Yeah definatley. It is more of Clinton's DLC style economic policy but I'll take it. After all we are not getting a President Edwards or someone like him that would actually reform our economy...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 07:58:55 PM »

Not to be rude, but have you taken an economics course yet?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies