Is Jindal overrated? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:06:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Jindal overrated? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Jindal overrated?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Is Jindal overrated?  (Read 3611 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: July 01, 2008, 03:53:43 AM »

Young, 'fresh,' minority, ideological, telegenic candidates are always loved by young activists.  Jindal really reminds me in several ways of an even younger version of Obama who could possibly have a long future ahead of him.

I mean, you can ding his elections all you want, but it's impressive that the man is winning primaries and general elections in Louisiana given what he is.  Sure he is solidly right-wing, but you can't get all uppity because young conservatives here like him, I mean, he's a winner right now in a party that's losing its brand.

For the same reason you like Obama BRTD, they like Jindal.  Sure he has that pay-raise issue, but I doubt we know the whole story (it might have been necessary to get something else done, it's not like HE got the pay raise).  It's not a very big scratch on his otherwise pure record, I doubt you could find someone as squeaky clean as him in either party.  What's the deal with this thread dawg, he is what he is and there aren't too many misconceptions about him except his value to the McCain ticket which tends to be overhyped a bit.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 04:24:59 AM »

But what about Barack Obama is he a clean centrist politician with years upon years of experience?   

Yes, actually.  Even if you dispute his cleanliness or experience there is no doubt the man is a centrist.

Maybe with a global standard, but by American political standards he just emerged from a primary and thus shares very few centrist or Republican positions that would shift his overall ideology to be less liberal.  Most of his centrism is rhetorical.

I think his voting record places him as 15th or so most liberal by objective standards, thus not radical but not really center-left either, again by American standards.  My feeling is that you are comparing Obama to the average of international politicians, or possibly even just European ones, both of which would make him probably about a centrist since he supports some gun rights, supports Israel, claims to be willing to take unilateral action, etc. 

But this isn't Spain or Zimbabwe and I dispute your claim that the man is a centrist Wink!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies