should menthol cigarettes be banned
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:22:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should menthol cigarettes be banned
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: should menthol cigarettes be banned  (Read 10178 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »

yes particularly if other 'flavored' cigarettes are to be banned.  why exempt menthol?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:50:22 PM »

How about we don't ban any cigs and get the government out of regulating tobacco.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »

I'm for banning all forms of Tobacco.

Cue nanny-statist remarks in 3....2...1...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:56:32 PM »

How about we don't ban any cigs and get the government out of regulating tobacco.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:19:35 PM »

obviously.

although menthol light smokers should be publicly stoned, especially males under the age of 30.  I encountered this 18 year old smoking menthol lights last night.  if you are that young why would you want to smoke a fake cigarette?  man up and grab yourself a pack of Reds.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:21:38 PM »

Nanny?  You're a ing Nazi.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »

Well, then I'm a Nazi who cares about my state's health care system. The price-tag to the tax-payers for lighting up was $1.7 trillion in 2005. Smokers force tax-payers to pay higher taxes and higher insurance costs. Not to mention the fact that we are sacrificing services to the public on the excuse that's "there's no money for that!" Some family's here can ill-afford to pay for people's addictions when they are going from paycheck to paycheck, trying to feed their family. Tobacco taxes don't even begin to make up for the costs either. States on average bring in about $16 billion a year from tobacco taxes. That's barely enough to pay 10% of the average state's health care costs attributed to smoking.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

Well, then I'm a Nazi who cares about my state's health care system. The price-tag to the tax-payers for lighting up was $1.7 trillion in 2005. Smokers force tax-payers to pay higher taxes and higher insurance costs. Not to mention the fact that we are sacrificing services to the public on the excuse that's "there's no money for that!" Some family's here can ill-afford to pay for people's addictions when they are going from paycheck to paycheck, trying to feed their family. Tobacco taxes don't even begin to make up for the costs either. States on average bring in about $16 billion a year from tobacco taxes. That's barely enough to pay 10% of the average state's health care costs attributed to smoking.

so then, why get out of your house in the morning?  think of all the bad things that could happen.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »

so then, why get out of your house in the morning?  think of all the bad things that could happen.

Yes, because people obviously have no control over smoking.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »

you missed my point.  (but you bring up another in your failed sarcasm - nicotine is arguably the most addictive substance on the planet and most smokers have no control over their smoking).

and you wrongly assume all of the costs associated with smoking would be eradicated if tobacco were  illegalized.  they wouldn't, and you'd just create a whole new set of problems by fueling the black market, bootleggers, etc.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 03:22:38 PM »

Banning tabacco is just as dumb if not dumber than the War on Drugs
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 03:31:45 PM »

you missed my point.  (but you bring up another in your failed sarcasm - nicotine is arguably the most addictive substance on the planet and most smokers have no control over their smoking).

and you wrongly assume all of the costs associated with smoking would be eradicated if tobacco were  illegalized.  they wouldn't, and you'd just create a whole new set of problems by fueling the black market, bootleggers, etc.

Everybody has the self-control to quit smoking. Nicotine is very addicting and it's hard to get off, hard but not impossible. Smoking isn't a natural event, people choose to smoke and they can choose to quit. The key is self-control and support.

I never said all the costs of smoking would simply just go away. Though, numerous smoking bans have been proven to increase state revenue substantially. Plus, most smokers aren't your type that'll break the law, some will of course, but most wont.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 03:40:03 PM »

Everybody has the self-control to quit smoking. Nicotine is very addicting and it's hard to get off, hard but not impossible. Smoking isn't a natural event, people choose to smoke and they can choose to quit. The key is self-control and support.

you don't have the faintest idea of what you're talking about.  you make it sound so easy.  perhaps you can explain why 95-97% of non-medicated attempts to quit smoking fail and 90-94% of medicated attempts to quit fail.

you've never had a nicotine addiction.  you have no idea what it's like.  you're wrong, period.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

people will go to extremes to satisfy their nicotine receptors.  it's been proven.  besides, look up "prohibition" on Wikipedia and see exactly how well it works.  or how well the drug war works in the present-day.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »

you don't have the faintest idea of what you're talking about.  you make it sound so easy.  perhaps you can explain why 95-97% of non-medicated attempts to quit smoking fail and 90-94% of medicated attempts to quit fail.

you've never had a nicotine addiction.  you have no idea what it's like.  you're wrong, period.

people will go to extremes to satisfy their nicotine receptors.  it's been proven.  besides, look up "prohibition" on Wikipedia and see exactly how well it works.  or how well the drug war works in the present-day.

Oh how quickly you seem to assume thing. Yes, I've never been addicted to nicotine. However, my dad has and my grandpa has, dying from it a few months ago. If your study is correct then I guess my dad and my uncle were of the 3-5% that quit...cold turkey. I never said it was easy. Just don't go around saying it is impossible, because its not.

You're arguing that I've never been addicted, so I shouldn't have an opinion on banning it. If anything, a smoking ban would help curve 2nd hand smoke, especially in public. It's proven that 2nd hand smoking kills. Why should I have to put up with the addictions and habits of smokers and let it harm my health. Don't I have rights or is it just the smokers we should be concerned about...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »

No. Taxed more as well as all cigs and cigars and more public smoking bans? Yes.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 12:10:12 AM »

Menthol cigarettes are mainly cigarettes. The law on cigarettes should not be different of the law on menthol cigarettes.

We have two choices. Ban all cigarettes or don't banning them.

Banning cigarettes would create a black market a second prohibition.

But we can put higher taxes on cigarettes and put higher health care costs if you are smoking tobacco.If you are smoking, you should see that is a very bad thing for your health.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »

Oh how quickly you seem to assume thing. Yes, I've never been addicted to nicotine. However, my dad has and my grandpa has, dying from it a few months ago. If your study is correct then I guess my dad and my uncle were of the 3-5% that quit...cold turkey. I never said it was easy. Just don't go around saying it is impossible, because its not.

oh, I have anecotes too.  my maternal grandfather supposedly quit smoking first try around 30-35 years ago after heavily smoking Lucky Strikes for decades.  regardless, the numbers and science don't lie.  nicotine is extremely addictive (in some lab tests, more addictive than cocaine and heroin) and a miniscule percentage of attempts to quit succeed.  I've tried to quit 2-3 times and failed.

the secondhand smoke kills debate is still alive and it's never been completely proven.  but regardless, most establishments (nearly all around here) ban smoking indoors.  it isn't too hard to avoid secondhand smoke - just boycott the few establishments around you that permit smoking if it bothers you so much.

and it isn't the government's job to cater to your interests and your personal dislikes.  look at automobiles, for example.  they no doubt kill hundreds of thousands every year.  and it just pisses me off so much that cars are all over the streets I walk.  should the government ban cars as a result?  personal choice exists for a reason - life would be hell without it, even if the average lifespan increased as a result.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »

oh, I have anecotes too.  my maternal grandfather supposedly quit smoking first try around 30-35 years ago after heavily smoking Lucky Strikes for decades.  regardless, the numbers and science don't lie.  nicotine is extremely addictive (in some lab tests, more addictive than cocaine and heroin) and a miniscule percentage of attempts to quit succeed.  I've tried to quit 2-3 times and failed.

the secondhand smoke kills debate is still alive and it's never been completely proven.  but regardless, most establishments (nearly all around here) ban smoking indoors.  it isn't too hard to avoid secondhand smoke - just boycott the few establishments around you that permit smoking if it bothers you so much.

and it isn't the government's job to cater to your interests and your personal dislikes.  look at automobiles, for example.  they no doubt kill hundreds of thousands every year.  and it just pisses me off so much that cars are all over the streets I walk.  should the government ban cars as a result?  personal choice exists for a reason - life would be hell without it, even if the average lifespan increased as a result.

Well let's let ancedotes be ancedotes then, shall we?

The Tobacco companies have hired cheap "scientist" hacks to dispute the fact that 2nd hand smoking exists. Kind of like Global Warming...

Most Resteraunts/ Bars don't ban smoking here in MI because they're (wrongly) afraid it affects business. So my choices are limited.
Well, how about you tell that to the children who live with smokers who smoke in the car and in the house. Tell them to just leave and go somewhere else, what's the worse that smoking can do to ya, you know?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 12:42:55 AM »

think of all of the things parents do to endanger their children.  the state simply can't regulate personal behavior beyond a certain point.  banning tobacco wouldn't work and isn't desirable.

and most restaurants/bars don't ban smoking because it's economically beneficial for them not to.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 01:46:37 AM »

RACISM
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 02:08:04 AM »

not quite sure what you mean.  obviously Newports are black-dominated (though a lot of white-trashy types smoke them) but plenty of whites smoke menthol lights.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 08:00:46 AM »

not quite sure what you mean.  obviously Newports are black-dominated (though a lot of white-trashy types smoke them) but plenty of whites smoke menthol lights.

I'm pretty sure he was making a joke.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies