Military service should be a negative thing for candidates.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:17:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Military service should be a negative thing for candidates.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Military service should be a negative thing for candidates.  (Read 2732 times)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »

A real logical system would be treating military service in their background as a negative for candidates. Let's face it they couldn't get into college/find a job so they went into the military. Dropping out of society for several years to be a hired gun for the federales? Not exactly the mark of a stable personality IMO.   
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »

A real logical system would be treating military service in their background as a negative for candidates. Let's face it they couldn't get into college/find a job so they went into the military. Dropping out of society for several years to be a hired gun for the federales? Not exactly the mark of a stable personality IMO.   

That's generally not true.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 05:53:16 PM »

Feeling the need to fight and potentially die for the sake of a piece of cloth(the flag) doesn't strike me as the behavior of a mentally healthy person.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »

Speaking only for myself, I enlisted specifically for the educational benefits so I could pay for college once I seperated, and I hardly "dropped out of society" since I was stationed overseas and saw some pretty neat places.  Experiences I wouldn't trade for anything else in the world.  I think you have a slightly warped sense of military personnel overall;  probably gleaned your opinions from playing Grand Theft Auto and thinking we're all like Republican Space Rangers or something.   lol

PS: the pols like McCain, Webb, JFK, Kerry, etc., don't enlist.   They recieve commissions, which means they already have a college education, which makes your point moot.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:10:38 PM »

Would you like me to assist you with pulling your head up your ass?  You've seem to have wedged it deep in there.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 06:27:35 PM »

Would you like me to assist you with pulling your head up your ass?  You've seem to have wedged it deep in there.

lol.

needless to say, I agree with MODU on this.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 06:28:44 PM »

I don't 'get' the patriotic. Sure, living in America is nice by global standards but alot of other places have better quality of life(australia, canada, the EU core states, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan).
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »

I don't 'get' the patriotic. Sure, living in America is nice by global standards but alot of other places have better quality of life(australia, canada, the EU core states, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan).

"Quality of life" (which is a non-quantitative term depending on who you ask) and military service are mutually exclusive.  But what do I know ... I'm not a "stable" educated person.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 06:50:22 PM »

I was saying I don't get people who are patriotic since the US is IMO in the lower half of the first world in terms of quality of life.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »

So you can't love your country because it has poor people?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 06:59:23 PM »

Well the high inequality, the culture, cuisine etc are factors making me not that fond of the US. Then again, in the defense of the US the great lakes/upper midwest is one of the worse parts of it. If I lived in SoCal or the Boswash metro I'd have better feelings.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 07:04:37 PM »

Well the high inequality, the culture, cuisine etc are factors making me not that fond of the US. Then again, in the defense of the US the great lakes/upper midwest is one of the worse parts of it. If I lived in SoCal or the Boswash metro I'd have better feelings.

And this has what do to with the Military and Presidential candidates?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »

Then again, in the defense of the US the great lakes/upper midwest is one of the worse parts of it.

shut up.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »

What? It's economically stagnant here, cold and too populist-leaning for my tastes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »

Wow, your ignorance of the US military in your OP is amazing!

So do you hate all military?  Just the US?  I bet you really hate the true mercenaries that are the Defense Contractors.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 07:33:55 AM »

So do you hate all military?  Just the US?  I bet you really hate the true mercenaries that are the Defense Contractors.

I must say, I don't think I've been called a mercenary in a long time.  However, since you brought it up, here's a picture of me going to work the other day.  You can tell it was a Friday since I didn't shave and I left my tie at home.  Tongue

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 08:32:15 AM »

Hey!  I'm a bearded mercenary too!  I only get to carry screwdrivers and multimeter's though Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »

I must say, I don't think I've been called a mercenary in a long time.  However, since you brought it up, here's a picture of me going to work the other day.  You can tell it was a Friday since I didn't shave and I left my tie at home.  Tongue

Ah, now we know why all the babes in the bunker you work in say hi to you during your lunch hour.  You old studly merc you.  Roll Eyes
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 10:19:33 AM »

Ah, now we know why all the babes in the bunker you work in say hi to you during your lunch hour.  You old studly merc you.  Roll Eyes

I learned a long time ago the secret art of accessorizing.  Tongue
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »

I suppose the poster has never heard of something called the ROTC. Or West Point and Annapolis. Or George Washington.

I think it would be best if the poster did remove himself from the US, to find a nation more suited to his kind.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies