GOP insiders starting to get upset with McCain's "aimless" campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:14:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  GOP insiders starting to get upset with McCain's "aimless" campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GOP insiders starting to get upset with McCain's "aimless" campaign  (Read 2338 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 06:34:08 PM »

Well, its about time someone said something.  McCain used to be one of the greatest campaigners in the US... what the Hell happened?

The straight talk express got replaced with the straight bullsh**t derailed, and he got 8 years older.

I have to admit... I didn't get the John McCain I paid for.  Still, he's better than Obama.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 06:37:55 PM »

But, the fact is that the talent drain in the GOP has been pretty sharp over the last few years.  We're kinda like one of those sports teams that had a great run for a while, but now we are stuck with low draft picks, aging players, injuries and rebuilding.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »

McCain's campaign has stunk. McCain had a big chance to hit Obama on Wrightgate, Bittergate, his previous comments on Iran and now slumlordgate. However, he has allowed Obama to rebrand himself as a centrist. In the hands on a Morris or a Carville Slumlordgate alone would have sunk Obama - instead it has got next to no coverage. McCain has also allowed the Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney wing of the GOP to act like they won the primary.

I'm not too pessimistic because the fact that McCain is only 6% behind given his dismal campaign gives one hope for when his campaign does get its ass into gear but Rick Davis' ass should have been grass a long time ago.

Slumlordgate just another manufactured smear against Obama is it? I'm optimistic that the fearmongering, smearmongering tactics of the Right won't work in 2008

Dave
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 06:47:19 PM »

But, the fact is that the talent drain in the GOP has been pretty sharp over the last few years.  We're kinda like one of those sports teams that had a great run for a while, but now we are stuck with low draft picks, aging players, injuries and rebuilding.

I dare say had McCain won the GOP primary in 2000 and went on to be elected to serve two terms as president, the GOP brand could well have been in better shape than it is today

Dave

Not necessarily.  Part of the reason the GOP is in such bad shape today is hubris.  Success tends to breed complacency.
zombones

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 07:49:13 PM »

"hey we just got the nomination, we got a headstart on the dems, what should we do?"

"hmm...take five"

"sounds good"
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 07:58:41 PM »

I dare say had McCain won the GOP primary in 2000 and went on to be elected to serve two terms as president, the GOP brand could well have been in better shape than it is today

Dave

Not necessarily.  Part of the reason the GOP is in such bad shape today is hubris.  Success tends to breed complacency.

Perhaps what the GOP needs is to wander again in the wilderness for a few more years. That’s why I’m kind of hoping we suffer massive loses in the Senate and House, and am apathetic to the presidential race, despite my relative dislike for Obama. Grant the Democrats the opportunity to push their version of America forward for a few years, and hopefully the GOP will be able to develop a viable counter philosophy  that appeals to the masses. I do believe the GOP needs a good deal of reform if it wants to be politically viable in most parts of the country (At least in federal races) in 30 years, and the best way for that reform to occur is for it to be out of power for awhile.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 08:03:06 PM »

in fairness to mccain it isnt all his fault.

americans have tired of republicans, for good reason.

what do they offer these days?  protection from the sodomites who dare try to marry?  protecting rich people's wealth?  protecting us all from scary brown people?

i dont miss the republican party.  im glad i left.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »

McCain's campaign has stunk. McCain had a big chance to hit Obama on Wrightgate, Bittergate, his previous comments on Iran and now slumlordgate. However, he has allowed Obama to rebrand himself as a centrist. In the hands on a Morris or a Carville Slumlordgate alone would have sunk Obama - instead it has got next to no coverage. McCain has also allowed the Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney wing of the GOP to act like they won the primary.

I'm not too pessimistic because the fact that McCain is only 6% behind given his dismal campaign gives one hope for when his campaign does get its ass into gear but Rick Davis' ass should have been grass a long time ago.

Slumlordgate just another manufactured smear against Obama is it? I'm optimistic that the fearmongering, smearmongering tactics of the Right won't work in 2008

Dave

Hillary tried to bring up the Rezko scandal a number of times and it failed to excite the media or the public. If Americans don't care that Karl Rove gave away the name of a CIA agent, they won't care about or understand the Rezko scandal. It will be a non-issue because it doesn't involve oral sex.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 08:43:35 PM »

Dave

Hillary tried to bring up the Rezko scandal a number of times and it failed to excite the media or the public. If Americans don't care that Karl Rove gave away the name of a CIA agent, they won't care about or understand the Rezko scandal. It will be a non-issue because it doesn't involve oral sex.

So that's what it was? The Rezko thing. Obviously, can't have had legs like 'Wrightgate' otherwise the media would have ran with it, and ran with it, and ran with it ... Roll Eyes

Dave
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »

The Rezko Obama home deal really stinks. It wasn't Rezko's money (someone financed the lot purchase for him), he stripped the lot of its most of its value of selling 10 feet of its width off to Obama for one sixth of the purchase price, eviscerating whatever value it had (it's too narrow), and thent "sold" (in exchange for worthless debt, since Rezko was broke?), to some mysterious trust, in which Northern Trust, the outfit that gave Obama a sweetheart mortgage on his home, is the trustee. The matter might well not be dead.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »

That "sweetheart" deal: (from fivethirtyeight.com)

Obama's mortgage rate was 5.625 percent; the Washington Post cites databases stating that the average rate on comparable properties was 5.93 percent.

So Obama's rate was 30 basis points better than the average. However, the amount of the loan and the nature of the property are not the only factors that determine a mortgage rate. Another major consideration is the creditworthiness of the borrower. According to current rate quotes from myFICO.com, a borrower with very good credit can expect a mortgage rate about 30 basis points better than someone with pretty good credit, and a borrower with excellent credit can expect about a 50 basis point discount.

Obama had just gotten a $2.27 million book deal from Random House -- about $1 million more than the value of the mortgage.
* The Obamas each had exceptionally secure jobs that paid them a combined annual salary of about $500,000 per year.
* The Obamas had just sold their condo, on which they had realized a $137,500 profit.
* The Obamas were prominent public figures whose political futures depended in part on maintaining a reputation for responsibility and trustworthiness.
* The Obamas are known to be relatively thrifty and have no credit card debt but substantial savings.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:16 PM »

Fair enough Lunar. I got about the same rate buying a second home at about the same time, with a solid FICO score and financial statements. That leaves the rest of the story however, which I researched personally
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 11:23:38 PM »

McCain has been designated to the back pages since he locked things up on Super Tuesday and he never recovered. By watching TV, you would think Obama was the only one in this race. It really is amazing that McCain is only trailing by 5 points or so, considering how hard the media has pushed Obama.

Ha, yeah sure and all that press has been 100% positive, right?

Most of it was. I'm not sure how many independent studies need to come out to convince you, but that's a fact. I think most everyone would agree that Obama receives much more press McCain. You're just hacking yourself up arguing otherwise.

http://vodpod.com/watch/818235-the-daily-show-baracknophobia

Bull. You'd never see any of these types allegations leveled against McCain.

You're using a comedy show to show the negative media bias against Obama? Please tell me you didn't? Look, I know some of the press he gets is negative. Would it make you happier if they just ignored all the negative things and scandals Obama is involved in?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 04:49:35 AM »

I don't see how it is "aimless."  He's been going around making speeches on all the major topics, creating his foundation for his general election campaign.

Whether  one is aimless or not, one seems so when one is old, feeble, and impotent.  You should know all about this, MODU.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »

Fair enough Lunar. I got about the same rate buying a second home at about the same time, with a solid FICO score and financial statements. That leaves the rest of the story however, which I researched personally

As you can see from my political avatar, I'm not about to jump ahead of the pack and declare that politicians aren't corrupt.  I think Obama and McCain are both highly ambitious men who would gouge out my eyeballs in exchange for their goals if they think they could get away with it, haha.  Luckily my eye sockets are not related to the presidency except in metphor!

Err.. the point is that I'm sure Democrats  who believe the Obamarama can do no wrong will be more than happy to provide the partisan talking points/ramblings to specific criticisms you have of Barack, provided you start a new thread (which wouldn't be a bad idea for original research). I have no personal interest in declaring the guy's a saint.   I clearly just went after one keyword in your entire post, which has legitimacy more than the word "sweetheart."
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »

Yeah, I don't think there's much of an issue with Obama's loan in this case.  The only thing would be the dealings with Rezko to secure the lots, and that would be one of many minor issues and/or associations that don't mean much individually, but together creates a portorate of the individual as a whole.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 11:39:43 AM »

I have a headache and no desire to say something substantial about this post.  I'll just say this instead: can we please retire the "-gate" suffix?  Please?

YES! YES! THANK YOU!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies