National Speed Limit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:55:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  National Speed Limit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: National Speed Limit  (Read 1751 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2008, 03:44:32 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/03/warner.speed.limit.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Noooooooo....

They're at it again...

Perfect example of looking for the easy way out. Who cares about fuel efficient cars, huh? Let's keep driving those SUVs....at 55 mph...

The key is to build better cars, not ruin the entire driving experience. American speed limits are already laughably low.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:48:40 AM »

Franz. You do lose quite a bit of fuel efficiency over 55mph. I forgot what the %'s are but over 65 the numbers are quite significant. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 05:54:50 AM »

Franz. You do lose quite a bit of fuel efficiency over 55mph. I forgot what the %'s are but over 65 the numbers are quite significant. 
That can be true (and it normally is, but varies greatly by car), and it still wouldn't mean we need a national speed limit.  Of the dozen or so ways the Feds can use their power to force us to use less gas, this is one of the dumber ways. 

Why should we expect any less?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 07:54:53 AM »

Funny, I had a dream like that too.  Except some asshole was only doing 120 in the passing lane and wouldn't get over. Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:18:55 AM »

I thought everybody out east did that? Wink

(I note you said "fast" lane.  It's not the "lane for going fast", it's the "lane for passing".  One should never be in the left lane (on a controlled access road) unless activly passing somebody.  Regardless of the speeds involved.  I'll stop being a dick now.)
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »

"Fifty-five...that's ridiculous. Sure it will save a few lives, but millions would be late."
- Homer Jay Simpson 1974
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »

Why would that have anything to do with the speed limit. Do you want a nanny states that will take care of your fuel economy?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »

I fully support a national speed limit of 180 miles per hour.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 01:43:05 AM »

But it's not the government's job to legislate what fuel mileage we get.  Should they legislate braking and accellerating too?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 03:29:55 AM »

But it's not the government's job to legislate what fuel mileage we get.  Should they legislate braking and accellerating too?

I'm not saying I support the idea. I'm just stating a fact.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »

Can someone point on the section in the constitution that gives the federal government anything close to the power to do this?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 08:03:52 AM »

It's easy to make that mistake.  However, here in New Jersey we know how to drive.  Unfortunately we are surrounded by the homes of the worst drivers in the nation, New York and Pennsylvania.  Pennsylvanians think the left hand lane is just another lane for taking your sweet old tractor-paced time in.  New Yorkers think it's a tool for revenge by passing you back and then slowing down in front of you.  We use it to pass anyone failing to pass the 80mph threshold we expect on our highways.  You won't find any self-respecting New Jerseyan with anyone behind them in the fast lane. Grin

Here's the Northeastern breakdown -
Good drivers: New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut
Bad Drivers: Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, (Virginia)
Unimportant drivers: Maryland, Delaware, Upper New England
Interesting.  Now, are all PA drivers bad, or just those from Philly?  I've spent some time in Western PA and they didn't seem to drive any worse than average.  Then again, I grew up across the river from Missouri, by far the worst state in the midwest region when it comes to driving quality so my judgement may have been a little off at the time.  But after spending a couple of years in the south, I don't even bitch about MO drivers anymore.  I'll give Atlanta credit for being fast as hell (when you're not parked on the highway in traffic), but for the most part, the south has the worst drivers in the country.  Especially out in the boonies.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »

Can someone point on the section in the constitution that gives the federal government anything close to the power to do this?
They didn't have it last time and they did it then.  I thought it was quite clear by now that the Fed does what the Fed wants, fark the states and the law.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 08:06:40 AM »

They didn't have it last time and they did it then.  I thought it was quite clear by now that the Fed does what the Fed wants, fark the states and the law.

Take heart, my friend, for hopefully that will change in a little over 6 months time.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 08:07:38 AM »

Fezzy is right, we are the best drivers, our incredibly high insurance rates prove we brake for no one Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 08:08:12 AM »

If they have the power to own and maintain roads, obviously they have the right to regulate how you use them, too.

As to non-federally owned roads, I have no idea.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »

If they have the power to own and maintain roads, obviously they have the right to regulate how you use them, too.

As to non-federally owned roads, I have no idea.
Yes, my question is more in relation to non-federal roads.  For example, I would venture to guess the busiest highway in NJ is the Garden State Parkway (I-95 is probably close though), which is run by the state.  How can federal government tell NJ how fast their roads can be?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 08:21:32 AM »

They can't unless they threaten to withhold highway funds and NJ caves. (or something else underhanded)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »

Take heart, my friend, for hopefully that will change in a little over 6 months time.

HA HA HA HA! LOL. That's a good one, BushOklahoma Tongue. But seriously, Bob Barr, Chuck Baldwin, or Charles Jay aren't going to be elected president.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 03:47:43 PM »

(I note you said "fast" lane.  It's not the "lane for going fast", it's the "lane for passing".  One should never be in the left lane (on a controlled access road) unless activly passing somebody.  Regardless of the speeds involved.  I'll stop being a dick now.)

It's easy to make that mistake.  However, here in New Jersey we know how to drive.  Unfortunately we are surrounded by the homes of the worst drivers in the nation, New York and Pennsylvania.  Pennsylvanians think the left hand lane is just another lane for taking your sweet old tractor-paced time in.  New Yorkers think it's a tool for revenge by passing you back and then slowing down in front of you.  We use it to pass anyone failing to pass the 80mph threshold we expect on our highways.  You won't find any self-respecting New Jerseyan with anyone behind them in the fast lane. Grin

Funny, I've found New Jersey drivers to be second worst I've encountered (Florida being worst). Maybe it's just all the military people.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

Depends on where you're from - here we say that you know you're from Ohio when, after seeing a car drive erratically, you immediately check for the Michigan license plate.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

Depends on where you're from - here we say that you know you're from Ohio when, after seeing a car drive erratically, you immediately check for the Michigan license plate.

Around here, it's the Mississippi license plate that is the symbol of erratic driving.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 04:26:02 PM »

Huh, in NJ its a NJ plate that symbols erratic driving.  And when driving in NY or PA, the motto is "Hey, I'm from Jersey, get the  out of my way"
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 06:18:09 PM »

Ridiculous of course. Especially considering how much fuel is wasted while sitting on highways moving far slower than 55 mph.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »

Bah, the left lane is for going fast. If you are in it you should be driving faster than the other traffic, and if someone is coming up behind you going faster you should move over until they pass you and then you may move back.

You guys want really bad driviers, just look at the damn FIBs (ing Illinois Bastards), they drive like maniacs in their horrid state, especially in and around the Chicago area and then crawl like snails once they get into our great driving state. -_-
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies