Should the United States be divided into two or more independent nations?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:39:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the United States be divided into two or more independent nations?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the United States be divided into two or more independent nations?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Should the United States be divided into two or more independent nations?  (Read 8846 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »

Perhaps we could annex our neighbors and just have more levels of federalism...hmm?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »

Suggestion, after the Civil War that the North loses, They join with Canada. How do you liberals feel about that?

Anyway one nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 03:30:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

New England, and the Midwest fits better with Canada than they do with the South anyway. So if I lived in America, I'd be fine with that. Wink

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 03:49:27 AM »

Let's kick out the South, let them devolve into a fascist banana republic, and then join the rest of the world as a civilized western country.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Of course it will never happen because those that own the country find the Southerners so useful politically.  Heck without the South they couldn't maintain even the pretense of democracy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 06:22:42 AM »

I read somewhere that there were plans by a victorious North to invade Canada which had served, during the war, as a conduit point for Confederate soldiers and terrorists to attack various northern cities.

"Terrorists"? Keep fading Frodo, please.

We should just go back to what the founders intended us to be. Strong state governments overseen by a moderately strong federal government who defended the nation in times of distress. I know it's a radical idea but still.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 08:03:45 AM »

Secessionists, secessionists, where art thou?

Bad grammar. "Art thou" is singular, and "secessionists" is plural - they don't agree.

Hah, fair enough. I guess I'll go with personification.
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »

No. I would like us more to annex several of our neighboring territories, or buy them from their respective governments.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 11:46:54 PM »

If we had the "liberty and justice for all", indivisible wouldn't be so bad.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 05:28:23 AM »

I read somewhere that there were plans by a victorious North to invade Canada which had served, during the war, as a conduit point for Confederate soldiers and terrorists to attack various northern cities.

We should just go back to what the founders intended us to be. Strong state governments overseen by a moderately strong federal government who defended the nation in times of distress. I know it's a radical idea but still.
Nice vision, but it's incompatible with the US defending its "interests" all over the world.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 06:04:24 AM »

I went looking up the history of American imperial designs on Canada and came across this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We're still upset about this, FTR.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »

Oughtn't the poll options to be called "two" and "more"?

I vote "more". Two would be enemies forever and never stay out of each other's affairs.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »

Amen. Any American of any ideology with even an ounce of true patriotism should agree completely.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »

^^^, except I would word it differently. Possibly 10 or so southern states leaving, would work well.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 03:41:44 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2009, 03:43:24 PM by Supersoulty »

If we were ever going to divvy up the United States then we should do it in a manner that more closely resembles the The Nine Nations concept, not a pure Northern/Southern United States divide, with the difference that the surrounding nations would divide the "Empty Quarter" between themselves, and allowing for the possibility of real native nations.

Not that a favor any separation at all, rather I would like to see Canada become part of the Union, and potentially a post-Castro Cuba... and not via coercion.  I think the Canadians will figure out, sooner or later, that it just doesn't make sense for them to maintain the current state of affairs.  We are practically one nation now anyway.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »

And my intent is not to be disrespectful.  It truly is not.  All jokes on both sides aside, at the end of the day, I value our brothers living north of the line on the map.  But the time is coming, if it hasn't already, when who wins the United States federal elections is going to matter more to Canadians than who they send to Ottawa... and you guys all know this, or else you wouldn't be here.  And its not going to be very long afterwords that most Canadians are going to come to terms with the notion that their best bet is going to be to have a say in those elections.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »

Any chances of that happening ended after WWI.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »

I think we need to quit getting hardons over what the "founders intended".  The founders also didn't intend the country to have 300,000,000 people, 50 states, free trade with nations that treat their people like scum and undercut our quality of life, or face terroristic threats from extremist Muslims from Africa and the Middle East.

So get over it.  We are what we are.  Hearkening back to some romanticized version of "what the founders intended" isn't gonna happen.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »

I think we need to quit getting hardons over what the "founders intended".  The founders also didn't intend the country to have 300,000,000 people, 50 states, free trade with nations that treat their people like scum and undercut our quality of life, or face terroristic threats from extremist Muslims from Africa and the Middle East.

So get over it.  We are what we are.  Hearkening back to some romanticized version of "what the founders intended" isn't gonna happen.

And while I do not agree completely with States, I think it is time people stopped being so arrogant when it comes to dismissing what the Founders wanted.  They lived in an era where despotism, dictatorship, and absolutism were very, very real... and so do we.  The difference is that we have somehow adopted this belief today that it can't happen here, where as they were quite aware of the fact that it could.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies