Jesse Helms Dead at 86 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:55:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jesse Helms Dead at 86 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jesse Helms Dead at 86  (Read 21455 times)
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« on: July 04, 2008, 11:32:27 AM »

Let's hope a gay black man buries him.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »

Oh, stop the hand-wringing, he said more than enough disgusting things in his life to make up for all of us.

And by the way, dwdl I'm glad you've put the Confederate flag in your sig. It really lets us know where you stand.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:32:35 AM »

It's funny when a elementary saying is so appropriate here: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I have strong personal feelings about Helms and his "legacy" However, a man has died. Can we not form some sense of civility here?
^^^

I agree with the above.

As do I.

It's amazing how easily differences in political opinions and visions of the USA can translate into personal rancor and outright hatred.  For all you (and this is a general "you", not aimed at anyone in particular) know, someone that holds the polar opposite political opinions may be someone you could have a grand conversation with over movies, music, books, sports, or any other nonpolitical topic.  Yet many on each side are ready to demonize and vilify those on the opposite side.  It's especially ridiculous when one of those people dies.  There are few cases when I would say celebrating someone's death is appropriate, but this isn't one. 

Jesse Helms loved his country.  He had a vision of how things should be that ran contrary to many.  Unlike many politicians today who go whichever way the political winds blow or polls direct, you always knew where Helms stood.  However, he was a man who used his office to help his constituents to the best of his ability and, as this recent article I found online mentions, he found it in himself to work with Bono on funding to fight AIDS. 

I disagreed with Jesse Helms on maybe 95% of the things he stood for, but I won't speak ill of him on the day of his death.  He was a strong force in American politics and may he rest in peace. 

You've put an awful lot of euphemisms in there. With people like Helms, it goes beyond having a 'difference of opinion' with him. And I'm not going to respect someone simply because I 'know where they stand.'

Believe it or not, I don't actually hate Republicans, and there are very few people I would strongly attack after their death, generally because I recognise there are elements of decency in most people.

Helms was not decent. He built his entire career on hatred, bigotry and contempt for anyone different from him or anyone weak and vulnerable in society. I don't like seeing someone like that having their reputation whitewashed and sanitized.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:05:57 AM »

Reading through this thread makes me kind of sad at some of the pathetic losers that infest this place. Sure, I didn't agree with all of what Helms did or said during his years, but this man ran and stood for what he believes in. He refused to give in to the political pressures or cheapen himself to be "liked by others." He truly lived by the idea that he'd rather be who he was and be hated than be someone he wasn't and be loved. I admire him for who he was, not by what he did. He took a position and he stood up for it. People like him are no longer around. I doubt I can name a politician that doesn't jump around on his beliefs just to gain votes. Helms certainly didn't do that.

Do you admire David Duke for 'standing up for what he believes in'?

Cindy Shaheen?

Westboro Baptist Church?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies