July 4th makes me sick
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:19:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  July 4th makes me sick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: July 4th makes me sick  (Read 6970 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »

realamericanstories.com

just saw an ad for that website while watching the Yankee/Red Sox game (both of whom are wearing caps with redwhiteblue logos).  all of the people keep echoing "freedom" like a bunch of brainwashed loons from 1984.  it all reminds me of a quote from counterorder.org

You must be logged in to read this quote.

so the question: why are Americans so blind to the evils of their flag?  why do they willingly glorify all of their institutions?  why do blacks stand up for the national anthem and serve in the military when their parents may well couldn't have even voted?  it just baffles me
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »

Perhaps you wouldn't have so much to complain about if you would just crawl out of your upper middle-class suburb in New York and go someplace really nice, like the Middle East, China, or Cuba.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »

Same here. They banned all the decent fireworks.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »

Perhaps you wouldn't have so much to complain about if you would just crawl out of your upper middle-class suburb in New York and go someplace really nice, like the Middle East, China, or Cuba.

the statements made by these people have nothing to do with comparison, but, rather, are absolute statements.  they don't "love America" because it compares well to Tehran or Havana but because they simply "love America."
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »

realamericanstories.com

just saw an ad for that website while watching the Yankee/Red Sox game (both of whom are wearing caps with redwhiteblue logos).  all of the people keep echoing "freedom" like a bunch of brainwashed loons from 1984.  it all reminds me of a quote from counterorder.org

so the question: why are Americans so blind to the evils of their flag?  why do they willingly glorify all of their institutions?  why do blacks stand up for the national anthem and serve in the military when their parents may well couldn't have even voted?  it just baffles me

Please shut up.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 03:24:49 PM »

realamericanstories.com

Please stop posting.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »

so the question: why are Americans so blind to the evils of their flag?

There's no incentive [for most of us] to acknowledge those evils.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 03:53:38 PM »

This thread makes me sick.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 04:02:57 PM »

I don't dismiss that there are many problems within our country. At times, I will admit, I've been ashamed to be an American. However, today is a day to celebrate what is good in this country and all that it has given us. We focus enough on the problem every other day of the year. Not today.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »

Isn't it wonderful that we live in a country where people can hate it and its holidays?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »

i personally despise fireworks.

but i love god, america, the flag and good ol' family values.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »

realamericanstories.com

Please stop being a self-parody.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 07:48:36 PM »

Obviously.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 07:55:46 PM »

I don't like fireworks all that much, but damn it, I love my country, right or wrong.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 08:44:14 PM »

Nationalism is stupid, but the 4th of July is cool because the fireworks look cool and D4 plays every year which is awesome. So I agree with Tweed, but still greatly enjoy the day. Off to see D4!

ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »

July 4th is nice, but I'm not a big fan of overt nationalism. Still, it is important, and at least it hasn't become over commercialized like some other holidays.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 09:11:41 PM »

Uh, surely you can't be serious, can you?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 09:30:27 PM »

I'm sorry Tweed, but if you can't find enough good in what America has done, will done, and what American beliefs mean in today's society and in the future of humanity to celebrate its existence for 24 freakin' hours.....
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 09:38:41 PM »

That is why they do stand up.  The efforts of their ancestors led them to reach this point  where they can vote as equals.  It boggles my mind why you have an issue with people expressing their love for a country that provides them so many freedoms to achieve their dreams.  No offense, but if you have such a problem with the 4th, maybe you should just stay in bed all day with the tv off so you don't see such displays of pride that others feel.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »

Clearly everyone in this thread is a brainwashed sheep!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 01:31:18 AM »

Well, the "greatest country on Earth" crap does piss me off.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 02:44:05 AM »

Well, you can admit that the fundamental idea of the United States of America is great. The one proud thing about America is that it has managed to sustain freedom and remains one of the most democratic and free nations in the world. As many problems as there are in America, we are still undoubtedly quite great. I agree that our arrogance is unjustified, although I believe that the crazy nationalism has more to do with a small minority of people.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 03:09:07 AM »

Fool.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »

Well, you can admit that the fundamental idea of the United States of America is great. The one proud thing about America is that it has managed to sustain freedom and remains one of the most democratic and free nations in the world. As many problems as there are in America, we are still undoubtedly quite great. I agree that our arrogance is unjustified, although I believe that the crazy nationalism has more to do with a small minority of people.

Now this stuff does annoy me. At this point in history there are many countries (like the whole of Europe other than some of the Ex-Soviet states and satellities) which have similiar or even more open instutions than exists presently in the United States. I don't believe at this point the United States has a greater degree of freedom (and what does that mean, anyway?) than the Republic of Ireland does. Yet Americans still act as if they have a monopoly on "freedom and Democracy".

Personally I don't like the Republic of Ireland much either, I consider myself "a human being by birth and an Irishman by accident" and things would be saner if Americans adapted the same approach.

This isn't to say that there are things about America that aren't great.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 04:42:56 AM »

Great sentiment, Boss Tweed.  The holiday is repugnant because it is evidence of nationalism and total ignorance. 

Certainly the US is the 'greatest' country on earth in the sense that it is the most powerful, the empire.  But as for the most free or having the best quality of life - most definitely not.

The number one reason expats move to Southeast Asia is that it is more free here, particularly regarding prostitution.  I'm in Cambodia at the moment, and here you can still buy and smoke marijuana freely.   We've smoked in restaurants, bars, and on the street, and a big bag is like $5.  You can even order 'Happy Pizza' sprinkled with the stuff.  Clearly in some important respects Cambodia is more free than the US.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies