Confirmation Hearing: Sam Spade (Associate Justice)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:54:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Sam Spade (Associate Justice)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Sam Spade (Associate Justice)  (Read 4578 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2008, 04:15:42 AM »

This hearing is called to order.

Senators are encouraged to debate the qualities of the nominee and ask him questions.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 04:29:47 AM »

I feel that Mr. Spade has both the right character, integrity and experience to serve as one of Atlasia's Associate Justices on her Supreme Court bench. His knowledge of Atlasian Constitutional matters is exceptional or so I believe, thus I have no questions for the Associate Justice nominee. You have my full support Mr. Spade.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:54:12 AM »

I feel that Mr. Spade has both the right character, integrity and experience to serve as the Southeast's regional Senator, and furthermore that he is the only such candidate.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »

I feel that Mr. Spade has both the right character, integrity and experience to serve as the Southeast's regional Senator, and furthermore that he is the only such candidate.

You would deny the region a fresh term for GPorter!?!?!?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 07:39:00 AM »

You would deny the region a fresh term for GPorter!?!?!?
Indeed so. Especially when I'm in the Senate at the same time.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »

(runs into Senate chambers with tie untied and shirt half-buttoned)

It was a long evening last evening, gentlemen, if you know what I mean...

I am now presently available for questions.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2008, 10:41:04 PM by Torie »

Mr. Spade has withdrawn from the Senate race. One should respect his choice as to where he prefers to serve. In any event, denying his confirmation for the Supreme Court will not land him in the Senate. Rejecting such a competent person because one wishes him elsewhere is unfair to him, and to us, in my opinion.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2008, 04:29:20 PM by Torie »

Mr. Spade, this is what the Atlasian Statute Code looks like. May the force  be with you in wading through it. There needs in my opinion to be some effort within the legal community to bring order to the cracks and crevices in the law, so that we all can find the pertinent texts. I also think I will introduce legislation, that nothing has the force and effect of law until  posted on the Wiki site in some coherent fashion. At  the moment we have a host of recent executive orders, some rescinded, some not, of questionable legality in some cases, that are not yet on Wiki, but buried on a thread.

If we don't make Atlasia more user friendly, I fear we may see a mass exodus of our citizens to some utopia like Havana or something. Given our low fertility rate, that might be good for the environment, as the place reverts to the bison and wolves, but not for much else.

Notice how instead of asking you a question, Mr. Spade, I just do an extemporaneous Biden, and I have been a Senator for only one day!  Think what it will be like in two months. Tongue

In any event, you may choose to comment or not, or just toss me a spit ball.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 05:53:03 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2008, 10:56:56 PM by Sam Spade »

Mr. Spade, this is what the Atlasian Statute Code looks like. May the force  be with you in wading through it. There needs in my opinion to be some effort within the legal community to bring order to the cracks and crevices in the law, so that we all can find the pertinent texts. I also think I will introduce legislation, that nothing has the force and effect of law until  posted on the Wiki site in some coherent fashion. At  the moment we have a host of recent executive orders, some rescinded, some not, of questionable legality in some cases, that are not yet on Wiki, but buried on a thread.

I am all for that.  However, I should probably tell you that back in the "early days" of the Wiki (Assad's early version and this present one), I was the one who cleaned up this area and provided links to the original threads and the like (in other words, the present statutory setup - of course there were fewer laws back then).  Since then, that job has been mainly the province of the Attorney Generals, who, depending on their competence (BrandonH was great, Harry was awful) added or didn't add the laws to the compendium. 

But alas, there has never been any Statutory Code, per se, or a searchable statutory code, which is what I would like.  I have also long thought we should incorporate *judiciously* parts of the US Code to fill in the large gaps, but I don't think anyone around here possesses the time or energy to go through that monstrosity and separate the wheat from the chaff (like say Article 42).

I don't remember whether a law or Executive order was made to command the Attorney Generals to keep up the statute code.  Something should be done there, anyways, I agree.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

I endorse this appointment, it is a great choice and I am confident in Mr. Spade's abilities to perform the duties of the office.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »

I support this.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

I'd like to say that I fully support Sam Spade's nomination, and that I am confident he will do a great job in this position.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 04:05:17 AM »

Mr. Spade has withdrawn from the Senate race. One should respect his choice as to where he prefers to serve.
Meh. Sam Spade has proven his ability to win SE Senate races while deliberately trying to lose. Several times. I don't see why the next one should be an exception. Tongue
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 04:16:55 AM »

I believe the Citizen Access to Law Act may be of help.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »

Sam has my vote
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:36 AM »

I'll bump to answer any more questions, although once Ebowed gets around here, the vote will obviously start.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »

Do you resent not being asked any questions?  Smiley
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »

Can we just confirm Sam and get this done?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 04:05:30 AM »

The vote is on confirmation.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 06:48:24 AM »