Are you a MarkWarner08 Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:45:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are you a MarkWarner08 Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you a MarkWarner08 Democrat?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 6

Author Topic: Are you a MarkWarner08 Democrat?  (Read 1528 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »

Abortion:
I support leaving this issue to the states. While I’m personally pro-choice, I believe that if a majority of a state’s voters oppose a woman’s right  to make her own reproductive decisions, the will of the majority should be heard.

Balanced Budget:

I generally support a balanced budget. However, I believe the government should resort to deficit spending to invigorate the economy during a recession. I’m a proponent of fiscal discipline. Pork barrel projects should be voted on individually, rather than in omnibus bills.. This would force members of Congress to justify federal dollars being spent for parochial matters.

Business Tax:
Eliminate the corporate income tax. While the U.S. tax burden is one of the highest among OECD countries, our corporations pay the second lowest amount in taxes. These companies spend billions on lawyers and lobbyists to create and exploit loopholes in the tax code. Eliminating corporate taxes would create a more attractive business environment for American companies. As economic conservative have pointed out, this would free up more capital for productivity gains, R&D funding, and general investments. If the government isn’t taxing corporation, it shouldn’t be giving them billions in welfare, either.

Campaign Finance Reform:
Abolish  527s, ban 501(c)s from engaging in political activities, cap soft money contributions at the same levels as hard money gifts, and allow federal campaign committees to interact with IE outfits. It’s absurd that the NRCC, DCCC, DSCC, NRSC, DNC, and RNC, can’t direct IE expenditures.

Education:

While I support charter schools and vouchers, I also believe the federal government should not fund them. Invest in after-school programs, create effective anti-bullying programs, adopt merit pay based on tests that aren’t proctored by teachers. The NEA and the AFT actively hinder education reforms. They must either allow the termination of  incompetent teachers or they should be terminated themselves.

Environment:

Fully fund the the 1970s era environmental laws, invest in renewable energy, protect national forest from old-growth logging, increase the EPA’s enforcement budget, levy fines of up to $10 billion on corporations to violate environmental regulations.

Free Trade:

I’m a realistic free trader. I support dismantling barriers to the free flow of labor and goods/services. I also agree with Max Baucus that the WTO should penalize third world nations that don’t adhere to strict environmental and labor standards. Labor and environmental violations are a form of unfairly crafting a comparative advantage and they should be balanced with restrictions on that nation’s exports.

Gun Control:
Like abortion, gun control should be left to the states to decide.

Health Care:
Adopt Senator Wyden’s health care plan. According to CBO head honcho Peter Orzag, it’s the only revenue-neutral health care plan currently on the table. http://www.slate.com/id/2160834

Immigration:
I support the unfettered immigration to the United States. Amnesty should be granted to non-criminal illegal immigrants.

Military Funding
:
Cut spending on weapons programs that are irrelevant to the war on terror. The United States spend more on defense than the rest of the world combined. I support slashing defense spending in half.

Military Doctrine:

Remove American troops from Germany and redeploy forces from Iraq.

Personal Tax:

Eliminate taxes on the bottom quintile. Raise taxes on the top quintile to 40%.

Social Security:

Eliminate the cap on payroll taxes. Bill Gates shouldn’t pay the same SS taxes as someone who earns $100k.

Nation-Building:
The United States should resists its imperial instincts and refrain from nation-building. To quote George W. Bush, “America shouldn’t be the world’s policeman.”

Sex Education:

Abstinence only sex education doesn’t work. The government should provide contraceptives to young adults and teach them about the drawbacks of unsafe sex.

Civil Rights:
Affirmative action should be based on income. Affirmative action is inherently racist. The premise that a wealthy black who grows up in home with two well-educated parents deserves preferential treatment over a poor white foster child is absurd.  Income and education of the parents, not race, are the two greatest metrics for predicting child’s chances of success.

China:
The United States lacks the moral ascendancy to lecture China on human rights. Taiwan should be allowed to rejoin the mainland.

Crime:

The government should not sanction murder. Replace the death penalty with grueling labor and mental torture for violent inmates. In China, inmates are forced to drag stones across a courtyard until they’ve completed a small wall. Once this task is complete, they must dismantle the wall and carry the stones back to their original place. This task is repeated until the inmates collapses from physical exhaustions. After a few years of this, the inmates would be shifted to chain gangs and would serve as cheap labor for building projects outside prison.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »

Taiwan should be allowed to rejoin the mainland.

Huh
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:52:33 PM »

Taiwan is already largely enveloped by China's sphere of influence. Growing economic and cultural integration will eventually lead to Taiwan once again becoming part of mainland China.

Why should the United States block this development? Should we go to war to prevent the reunification of another nation?

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »

Taiwan is already largely enveloped by China's sphere of influence. Growing economic and cultural integration will eventually lead to Taiwan once again becoming part of mainland China.

Why should the United States block this development? Should we go to war to prevent the reunification of another nation?

It's not as if the two peoples are clamoring for union, only to have their dreams crushed by the cruel Americans.

By and large, Taiwan doesn't want to join China.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 07:39:37 PM »

It's not as if the two peoples are clamoring for union, only to have their dreams crushed by the cruel Americans.

By and large, Taiwan doesn't want to join China.
The One China policy is popular on the mainland (though public opinion polls there are likely dubious because of government  propaganda), and a growing number of Taiwanese support it as well. My point is that the U.S. shouldn't interfere with China on an issue that doesn't pertain to American foreign policy. Should America risk its foreign policy capital in a struggle with its largest creditor? I don't think so.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »

The Taiwanese should not sacrifice their democracy for a repressive regime over silly nationalist reasons.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »

The Taiwanese should not sacrifice their democracy for a repressive regime over silly nationalist reasons.
That is up to the Taiwanese to decide. The U.S. Government should not interfere with the will of the Taiwanese people.

I'm surprised that nobody's objected to my crime policy yet.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 08:23:48 PM »

Let me be the first: it is cruel, unusual, inhumane, and in every single way incompatible with the American system of beliefs.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:25:41 PM »

I like your crime policy, although I don't see how it works.  Why would the person just keep picking up the rocks, I rather be shot dead.  And even if that were the case, what would make them work as hard as possible?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:37:07 PM »

I'll do the whole thing:

Abortion: No, women in Mississippi need protection.

Balanced Budget: Generally agree

Business Tax: Hell no. Let corporations and the owners pay for everything, not the workers.

Campaign Finance Reform: Don't like most of that.

Education: Sounds too much like NCLB

Environment: Sounds good.

Free Trade: I oppose free trade.

Gun Control: Agree.

Health Care: I don't know what that plan is and am too lazy to read up.

Immigration: Agree

Military Funding: Yes.

Military Doctrine: Yes

Personal Tax: Sounds good.

Social Security: Sounds good.

Nation-Building: Yes.

Sex Education: Yes.

Civil Rights: Yes.

China: My statement on China is above.

Crime: A very rare time where I'll completely agree with what constine said.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »

Let me be the first: it is cruel, unusual, inhumane, and in every single way incompatible with the American system of beliefs.
Yes, but isn't it superior to our current death penalty system. I also forgot to mention that I support government funding of the innonce project, legalizing marijuana, and ending the drug war.

I like your crime policy, although I don't see how it works.  Why would the person just keep picking up the rocks, I rather be shot dead.  And even if that were the case, what would make them work as hard as possible?
If they don't complete the task, they are tortured. In the Chinese penal system, the stick is mightier than the carrot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »

Yes, but isn't it superior to our current death penalty system.

No, because the death penalty is hardly ever used (and in the case of where I live, never used.)

If they don't complete the task, they are tortured. In the Chinese penal system, the stick is mightier than the carrot.

Ah torture. Well there you go, blatantly unconstitutional not to mention obviously inhumane. Above all that does anyone want their tax dollars going to pay someone willing to take a job as a paid torturer?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »

Yes, but isn't it superior to our current death penalty system.

No, because the death penalty is hardly ever used (and in the case of where I live, never used.)

Ah torture. Well there you go, blatantly unconstitutional not to mention obviously inhumane. Above all that does anyone want their tax dollars going to pay someone willing to take a job as a paid torturer?
That's a good point. I'll withdraw that idea for now.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 06:27:51 AM »

Abortion:
I support leaving this issue to the states. While I’m personally pro-choice, I believe that if a majority of a state’s voters oppose a woman’s right  to make her own reproductive decisions, the will of the majority should be heard.

I'm fine with Roe being repealed for cynical reasons. Namely, the second it happens the Choice movement will experience a huge shot in the arm. I can't think of a better way to piss off most of the country and marginalize the far right.

Balanced Budget:

I generally support a balanced budget. However, I believe the government should resort to deficit spending to invigorate the economy during a recession. I’m a proponent of fiscal discipline. Pork barrel projects should be voted on individually, rather than in omnibus bills.. This would force members of Congress to justify federal dollars being spent for parochial matters.

Agree to an extent but there should be some sort of amendment making deficit spending require a very broad majority (2/3s?).

Business Tax:
Eliminate the corporate income tax. While the U.S. tax burden is one of the highest among OECD countries, our corporations pay the second lowest amount in taxes. These companies spend billions on lawyers and lobbyists to create and exploit loopholes in the tax code. Eliminating corporate taxes would create a more attractive business environment for American companies. As economic conservative have pointed out, this would free up more capital for productivity gains, R&D funding, and general investments. If the government isn’t taxing corporation, it shouldn’t be giving them billions in welfare, either.

No, because this will cause more deficits. Just lower and simplify corporate taxation.

Campaign Finance Reform:
Abolish  527s, ban 501(c)s from engaging in political activities, cap soft money contributions at the same levels as hard money gifts, and allow federal campaign committees to interact with IE outfits. It’s absurd that the NRCC, DCCC, DSCC, NRSC, DNC, and RNC, can’t direct IE expenditures.

Agree.

EducationSad/b]
While I support charter schools and vouchers, I also believe the federal government should not fund them. Invest in after-school programs, create effective anti-bullying programs, adopt merit pay based on tests that aren’t proctored by teachers. The NEA and the AFT actively hinder education reforms. They must either allow the termination of  incompetent teachers or they should be terminated themselves.

Agree on everything but the first sentence.

Environment:

Fully fund the the 1970s era environmental laws, invest in renewable energy, protect national forest from old-growth logging, increase the EPA’s enforcement budget, levy fines of up to $10 billion on corporations to violate environmental regulations.

Sounds reasonable.

Free Trade:

I’m a realistic free trader. I support dismantling barriers to the free flow of labor and goods/services. I also agree with Max Baucus that the WTO should penalize third world nations that don’t adhere to strict environmental and labor standards. Labor and environmental violations are a form of unfairly crafting a comparative advantage and they should be balanced with restrictions on that nation’s exports.

Sort of agree. There should be some very basic standards built in to agreements and aid for development. But to expect developing countries to be able to industrialize and adhere to the exact same standards we have without massive help seems pretty unrealistic.

Gun Control:

Agree, and respect Heller.

Health Care:
Adopt Senator Wyden’s health care plan. According to CBO head honcho Peter Orzag, it’s the only revenue-neutral health care plan currently on the table. http://www.slate.com/id/2160834

Agree!!

Immigration:
I support the unfettered immigration to the United States. Amnesty should be granted to non-criminal illegal immigrants.

No, this will overwhelm our healthcare and social services in addition to causing our standard of living to crash. Also non-criminal? By definition they broke the law.

Military Funding
:
Cut spending on weapons programs that are irrelevant to the war on terror. The United States spend more on defense than the rest of the world combined. I support slashing defense spending in half.

Agree.

Military Doctrine:

Remove American troops from Germany and redeploy forces from Iraq.

Agree.

Personal Tax:

Eliminate taxes on the bottom quintile. Raise taxes on the top quintile to 40%.

Agree, expand EITC and raise on the wealthy.

Social Security:

Eliminate the cap on payroll taxes. Bill Gates shouldn’t pay the same SS taxes as someone who earns $100k.

Acceptable.

Nation-Building:
The United States should resists its imperial instincts and refrain from nation-building. To quote George W. Bush, “America shouldn’t be the world’s policeman.”

Agree.

Sex Education:

Abstinence only sex education doesn’t work. The government should provide contraceptives to young adults and teach them about the drawbacks of unsafe sex.

Agree.

Civil Rights:
Affirmative action should be based on income. Affirmative action is inherently racist. The premise that a wealthy black who grows up in home with two well-educated parents deserves preferential treatment over a poor white foster child is absurd.  Income and education of the parents, not race, are the two greatest metrics for predicting child’s chances of success.

I oppose AA on constitutional grounds, but it's pretty clear that income and education are unfortunately closely linked to 'race'.

China:
The United States lacks the moral ascendancy to lecture China on human rights. Taiwan should be allowed to rejoin the mainland.

Agree, besides China owns us at the moment.

Crime:

The government should not sanction murder. Replace the death penalty with grueling labor and mental torture for violent inmates. In China, inmates are forced to drag stones across a courtyard until they’ve completed a small wall. Once this task is complete, they must dismantle the wall and carry the stones back to their original place. This task is repeated until the inmates collapses from physical exhaustions. After a few years of this, the inmates would be shifted to chain gangs and would serve as cheap labor for building projects outside prison.

Other people have already mentioned some of the problems with this, although I'm not opposed to turning our prisons into workhouses.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 12:31:40 PM »

I support leaving this issue to the states. ... I believe that if a majority of a state’s voters oppose a woman’s right  to make her own reproductive decisions, the will of the majority should be heard.

Strongly, strongly disagree.

No.  Close the loopholes instead.

While I support charter schools and vouchers

No.

No.

Adopt Senator Wyden’s health care plan.

Nah, doesn't look that great.

Amnesty should be granted to non-criminal illegal immigrants.

Strike 'non-criminal'.

Affirmative action is inherently racist.

Disagreed, although I support taking socioeconomic status into account as well.

Replace the death penalty with grueling labor and mental torture for violent inmates.

Agree with abolishing the death penalty; vehemently agree with the rest of that extremely uncivilized statement.  BTW, don't criticize China's human rights violations and then suggest that we adopt their messed up prison policies.

Anything I didn't comment on I would probably agree with or are unaware of the specifics involved (I would need to check if the campaign finance reform you suggest would be an infringement of free speech rights).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »

It's not like the ROC is a model nation, of course. When the mainlanders came, they oppressed the Taiwanese and created a single-party state that lasted for 40 years.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 09:22:50 PM »

Abortion:
I support leaving this issue to the states. While I’m personally pro-choice, I believe that if a majority of a state’s voters oppose a woman’s right  to make her own reproductive decisions, the will of the majority should be heard. Well, sure, if you federally mandate exceptions for rape, incest or to prevent the severe disability of the fetus or abortive mother

Balanced Budget:

Sure. This could work. Pork Barrel projects could be a good idea, but fiscal discipline must dictate who gets what
Business Tax:
Eliminate the corporate income tax. While the U.S. tax burden is one of the highest among OECD countries, our corporations pay the second lowest amount in taxes. These companies spend billions on lawyers and lobbyists to create and exploit loopholes in the tax code. Eliminating corporate taxes would create a more attractive business environment for American companies. As economic conservative have pointed out, this would free up more capital for productivity gains, R&D funding, and general investments. If the government isn’t taxing corporation, it shouldn’t be giving them billions in welfare, either. Sounds like an idea

Campaign Finance Reform:
Abolish  527s, ban 501(c)s from engaging in political activities, cap soft money contributions at the same levels as hard money gifts, and allow federal campaign committees to interact with IE outfits. It’s absurd that the NRCC, DCCC, DSCC, NRSC, DNC, and RNC, can’t direct IE expenditures. Sounds like a good idea

Education:

While I support charter schools and vouchers, I also believe the federal government should not fund them. Invest in after-school programs, create effective anti-bullying programs, adopt merit pay based on tests that aren’t proctored by teachers. The NEA and the AFT actively hinder education reforms. They must either allow the termination of  incompetent teachers or they should be terminated themselves. Good idea

Environment:

Fully fund the the 1970s era environmental laws, invest in renewable energy, protect national forest from old-growth logging, increase the EPA’s enforcement budget, levy fines of up to $10 billion on corporations to violate environmental regulations. good idea

Free Trade:

I’m a realistic free trader. I support dismantling barriers to the free flow of labor and goods/services. I also agree with Max Baucus that the WTO should penalize third world nations that don’t adhere to strict environmental and labor standards. Labor and environmental violations are a form of unfairly crafting a comparative advantage and they should be balanced with restrictions on that nation’s exports. That's one alternative. Another alternative would be to force exempt nations to buy American pollution counter-measures

Gun Control:
Just follow the Heller decision

Health Care:
Adopt Senator Wyden’s health care plan. According to CBO head honcho Peter Orzag, it’s the only revenue-neutral health care plan currently on the table. http://www.slate.com/id/2160834 Good Idea

Immigration:
I support the unfettered immigration to the United States. Amnesty should be granted to non-criminal illegal immigrants. Sounds good in principle, but like abortion, would need nuance

Military Funding
:
Cut spending on weapons programs that are irrelevant to the war on terror. The United States spend more on defense than the rest of the world combined. I support slashing defense spending in half. Don't get too carried away

Military Doctrine:

Remove American troops from Germany and redeploy forces from Iraq. Again, don't get too carried away

Personal Tax:

Eliminate taxes on the bottom quintile. Raise taxes on the top quintile to 40%. Good idea and raise taxes of the top percent to 49.99%

Social Security:

Good idea
Nation-Building:
The United States should resists its imperial instincts and refrain from nation-building. To quote George W. Bush, “America shouldn’t be the world’s policeman.” LOL...but we still have much to offer the world

Sex Education:

Abstinence only sex education doesn’t work. The government should provide contraceptives to young adults and teach them about the drawbacks of unsafe sex. Good

Civil Rights:
Affirmative action should be based on income. Affirmative action is inherently racist. The premise that a wealthy black who grows up in home with two well-educated parents deserves preferential treatment over a poor white foster child is absurd.  Income and education of the parents, not race, are the two greatest metrics for predicting child’s chances of success. Good

China:
The United States lacks the moral ascendancy to lecture China on human rights. Taiwan should be allowed to rejoin the mainland. Yeah, sure

Crime:

The government should not sanction murder. Replace the death penalty with grueling labor and mental torture for violent inmates. In China, inmates are forced to drag stones across a courtyard until they’ve completed a small wall. Once this task is complete, they must dismantle the wall and carry the stones back to their original place. This task is repeated until the inmates collapses from physical exhaustions. After a few years of this, the inmates would be shifted to chain gangs and would serve as cheap labor for building projects outside prison.I'm listening...

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »

Not really, a bit too isolationist and socially conservative for me. I would vote for you, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies