Poll: If Cheney is dropped, who.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:18:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Poll: If Cheney is dropped, who.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Poll: If Cheney is dropped, who.....  (Read 8412 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 01:31:03 AM »

You Republicans wouldn't mind having Giuliani run as President, even though he's fairly liberal when it comes to social matters?

Though I'm just as laissez faire in social matters as I am in economic ones, I wouldn't like a moderate for fear they would compromise with the enemy too much - like Bush senior did.  Giuliani does seem tough but I would prefer Rumsfeld.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004, 08:25:44 AM »

Rumsfeld appeals with women.
NHPolitico

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2004, 08:57:54 AM »

During OEF, yes.
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2004, 03:00:23 PM »

Interesting question.

Carl Rove's biggest fear is the unknown..ie who would John Kerry pick as his running mate. He also fears what may happen in 2008 if Bush gets elected, but Cheney is still Vice-President.

My opinion is that switching Vice-Presidents is just as politically risky as changing horses in the Colorado River. You only do it if absolutely necessary!

In other words...Cheney will still be on the ticket.
NHPolitico

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2004, 03:20:36 PM »

Interesting question.

Carl Rove's biggest fear is the unknown..ie who would John Kerry pick as his running mate. He also fears what may happen in 2008 if Bush gets elected, but Cheney is still Vice-President.

My opinion is that switching Vice-Presidents is just as politically risky as changing horses in the Colorado River. You only do it if absolutely necessary!

In other words...Cheney will still be on the ticket.

Yes, it's very risky. But, I hear Bush is a gambling man.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2004, 03:22:39 PM »

You Republicans wouldn't mind having Giuliani run as President, even though he's fairly liberal when it comes to social matters?

Nope wouldn't mind him at all... He more then made up for his affair in my eyes during 9/11 and his views are pretty much in line with my own.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2004, 03:33:32 PM »

But is Rove a gambling man?  IT's Rove's decision.
NHPolitico

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2004, 03:43:56 PM »

I don't know. We'll see, I guess. He has gone with things like steel tariffs which help producers, but not steel users. That's a political gamble. He also is betting that the Medicare prescription drug benefit will help with seniors.  Same with amnesty and the Hispanic bloc of voters.  Going to war with Iraq was a gamble. It was a totally voluntary war with unknown political consequences (related to the global consequences).
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2004, 04:44:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True...and his actions speak louder than words.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2004, 05:10:41 PM »

I don't know. We'll see, I guess. He has gone with things like steel tariffs which help producers, but not steel users. That's a political gamble. He also is betting that the Medicare prescription drug benefit will help with seniors.  Same with amnesty and the Hispanic bloc of voters.  Going to war with Iraq was a gamble. It was a totally voluntary war with unknown political consequences (related to the global consequences).
Steel Tariffs hurt Bush in PA, OH (another reason I have OH going Kerry), and WV, but help him in MI and possibly WI.  But it is a gamble.
NHPolitico

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2004, 08:23:01 PM »

Steel Tariffs hurt Bush in PA, OH (another reason I have OH going Kerry), and WV, but help him in MI and possibly WI.  But it is a gamble.

I can probably think of others. He campaigned heavily for candidates in the 2002 midterms, risking his political capital if they lost. Even earlier, he was a drunk driver, which while careless, is also a calculated risk. His support for run-away spending is a risk since he could lose the support of budget-conscious Republican voters.  Just that he has governed as more ideologically conservative than even Reagan after losing the popular voter is a risk. The safe thing would have been to govern as a low-key moderate.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2004, 08:27:18 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily say removing the tariffs is helping Bush in Michigan and Wisconsin. True, the auto industry supports removing them, since they want cheap steel, but I don't think the autoworkers themselves support it.

And Bush's latest poll numbers in both states don't look so great...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2004, 08:31:25 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily say removing the tariffs is helping Bush in Michigan and Wisconsin. True, the auto industry supports removing them, since they want cheap steel, but I don't think the autoworkers themselves support it.

And Bush's latest poll numbers in both states don't look so great...
I was just saying...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2004, 09:17:08 PM »

You were just saying that it helps in MI and maybe WI, and I was claiming that's not necessarily true. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2004, 09:45:02 PM »

You were just saying that it helps in MI and maybe WI, and I was claiming that's not necessarily true. Smiley
If it helps him anywhere, it helps him in MI and WI.  But then again, it may not help him anywhere..but why did he do it then?
PD
pd

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2004, 11:10:36 PM »

I don't want Cheney to be dropped. I like him.
tractarian

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2004, 11:51:05 PM »

The republicans on this board, I think, represent the younger, more socially tolerant conservatives that McCain appealed to in 2000.  They do not represent the base of the party, the evangelical South.  

We New Yorkers remember that Rudy was a Republican, but he also ran his mayoral contests as the Liberal party candidate!  Thus, while Rudy may be a perfect choice for them, his selection as replacement VP would mean eroding Bush's base severly, possibly opening an opportunity for someone like Roy Moore to run an independent campaign to the right of Bush on social issues.

People have said that Bush dropping Cheney would do more harm than good to his image, reeking of political opportunism and disloyalty.  But I think Bush (and the man calling the shots, Rove) is not afraid of concerns like these.  He has risked looking like a showboating opportunist before (Mission Accomplished).  If Cheney offers to leave, and Bush is trailing or even in the polls, the President would be crazy not to accept his resignation.

If Bush chose McCain as his replacement, he'd at least gain my vote in November.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2004, 01:30:19 AM »

John McCain. I like him and hope that he never will be Republican vice president or president candidate. He is too good. With him Bush would win.

In Finland I definitely would vote somebody like McCain! Being conservative in Europe and liberal in America makes lot of sense. As moderate I consider that what is right policy in Europe in current situation (reduction of taxes and social security) is absolutely wrong policy in USA.

But I couldn't vote somebody like Bush even in Finland. Or in Sweden, where I see conservative politics being most necessary. Bush is too extremest.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2004, 10:36:35 AM »

Rumor of Kerry making McCain his would be Secretary of State.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2004, 11:01:16 AM »

Rumor of Kerry making McCain his would be Secretary of State.

Where'd you hear that from?

I find it hard to believe since McCain is campaigning against Kerry.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2004, 11:02:46 AM »

Do you think that he would still refuse such a position then?

I personally would take a position like that, it is a strong position to take and would help him launch his own campaign.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2004, 01:30:52 PM »

John McCain. I like him and hope that he never will be Republican vice president or president candidate. He is too good. With him Bush would win.

In Finland I definitely would vote somebody like McCain! Being conservative in Europe and liberal in America makes lot of sense. As moderate I consider that what is right policy in Europe in current situation (reduction of taxes and social security) is absolutely wrong policy in USA.

But I couldn't vote somebody like Bush even in Finland. Or in Sweden, where I see conservative politics being most necessary. Bush is too extremest.

Hey! We're not that bad... Wink

There are a lot of places that need conservatism in Europe. And I wouldn't vote for Bush even in Sweden...though I'd probably vote for someone like McCain.
NHPolitico

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2004, 01:32:42 PM »

Do you think that he would still refuse such a position then?

I personally would take a position like that, it is a strong position to take and would help him launch his own campaign.

Once a partisan joins the opposition's administration, he's kissing his political career goodbye.  No, McCain will be a loyal Republican this year and will campaign for Bush and will likely speak in NYC on his behalf.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2004, 08:15:36 PM »

Bush-Cheney can still win easily. If Bush wins all the states he did in 2000, plus New Mexico, Iowa, and Pennsylvania, over 295 votes.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2004, 08:56:38 PM »

Bush-McCain is the ideal ticket that would sweep Dems
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies