My VP Shortlist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:28:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  My VP Shortlist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: My VP Shortlist  (Read 8338 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »

I think he's been out of elected office for too long.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 09:00:32 PM »

The GOP has several untapped superstars. Craig, Horseley, Gibbons, Foley, Allen(Rob Allen from Florida), Crist, Gannon and Curtis all strike me being some of the best possible veep choices for McCain.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 09:08:21 PM »

Top Three

Obama:
Schwietzer
Sebelius
Easley

McCain:
Jindal
Romney
Pawlenty
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »

Obama will pick so no name white southern populist.
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »

Nunn has been out of office since 1997. I think his recent experience as an Ambassador and academic helps to mitigate those concerns. And besides, whoever is tapped for VP is going to be in the spotlight anyway.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 10:51:49 AM »

Nunn has been out of office since 1997. I think his recent experience as an Ambassador and academic helps to mitigate those concerns. And besides, whoever is tapped for VP is going to be in the spotlight anyway.

Exactly.  And I don't think that should be a disqualifier.  In fact, being out of elected office for a long while might be a positive thing in some respects.  Anything negative that happened in the past is "ancient history" and the candidate can also say he or she has "had a change of heart" regarding controversial votes.

I also considered Governor Celeste, because as U.S. Ambassador to India (no cushy task), he has some cachet as a foreign policy guy.  However, though a two-term Governor, he left office as a fairly unpopular one and would be unlikely to help much in badly-needed Ohio.

What's more, as U.S. Ambassador to India, it was likely Celeste's job to (at least to some extent) assuage and appease Indian sensibilities.  If he was perceived as a particularly pro-India ambassador, his position on the ticket could be viewed as threatening by Pakistan.  Since Obama has actually taken a position on Pakistan to the right of John McCain, this could be viewed as overdoing it. 

But I agree with your overarching idea -- many of the people who served in elective office in the 80's and 90's are well worth considering for VP slots and cabinet jobs in both parties.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »

Celeste has a very broad range of experience that covers foreign relations (ambassador, member of Council on Foreign Relations), economics (establishing a consulting firm), military/security (sits on various boards including Independent Strategic Assessment Group, co-chair of Homeland Security Porject), health care (was in charge of DNC's health care plan in '93), and public service (director of the Peace Corps).  But he'll be almost 71 on election day and I don't know, he might look even older than McCain.  The age issue is a big one.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 04:47:23 PM »

Celeste has a very broad range of experience that covers foreign relations (ambassador, member of Council on Foreign Relations), economics (establishing a consulting firm), military/security (sits on various boards including Independent Strategic Assessment Group, co-chair of Homeland Security Porject), health care (was in charge of DNC's health care plan in '93), and public service (director of the Peace Corps).  But he'll be almost 71 on election day and I don't know, he might look even older than McCain.  The age issue is a big one.

My feeling on age differs from most folks here.  Could be because I am an olde pharte, I dunno.  But see my earlier post.  I don't think Obama is assailing McCain for being too old, though clearly Obamaniacs and surrogates are.  It's a stupid reason to oppose a candidate.  Now if McCain is unhealthy, that's another issue.

As to Obama's running mate, I still say the more snow on the roof, the better.  It will calm a lot of voter jitters. 
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2008, 05:17:00 PM by Simon LeBon »

My feeling on age differs from most folks here.  Could be because I am an olde pharte, I dunno.  But see my earlier post.  I don't think Obama is assailing McCain for being too old, though clearly Obamaniacs and surrogates are.  It's a stupid reason to oppose a candidate.  Now if McCain is unhealthy, that's another issue.

As to Obama's running mate, I still say the more snow on the roof, the better.  It will calm a lot of voter jitters. 

I agree, though I'm certainly not a geezer like JSojourner. Smiley

Celeste has a great resume. Here's a recent picture: he's in the middle.

His health should be the foremost concern (as it should be for any candidate, regardless of age). And at any rate, he has a solid resume and is a jack of all trades. I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet by the pundits. Also, regarding his lack of popularity: after Taft, I'm sure most Ohioans are nostalgic for any past Governor.

Also, how about another older dark horse: Gaston Caperton? Two term Governor of West Virginia, President of the College Board. http://www.collegeboard.com/about/association/presidentbio.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »

It's true that Obama is not explicitly making the case that McCain is too old to be president.  He's not doing so because it would be in bad taste, and because he doesn't need to.  Plenty of voters will independently conclude on their own that he's too old.  Thus, there is a slight drawback to Obama picking a running mate who's over 70: He legitimizes the idea that even old geezers are capable of running the government (doesn't really matter that Obama was never explicitly arguing otherwise).
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »

It's true that Obama is not explicitly making the case that McCain is too old to be president.  He's not doing so because it would be in bad taste, and because he doesn't need to.  Plenty of voters will independently conclude on their own that he's too old.  Thus, there is a slight drawback to Obama picking a running mate who's over 70: He legitimizes the idea that even old geezers are capable of running the government (doesn't really matter that Obama was never explicitly arguing otherwise).

I see this only becoming an issue if a large portion of the electorate feels that Obama will somehow leave office before his term is up.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »

I see this only becoming an issue if a large portion of the electorate feels that Obama will somehow leave office before his term is up.

It doesn't matter if they think he'll leave office before the term is up.  If Obama picks a running mate who's as old as McCain, he'll effectively be making the statement "No, McCain is *not* too old to be president" (otherwise, why would I be picking someone his age as my VP?)".  This might persuade some people into thinking "Gee, I guess McCain really isn't *that* old...."  Of course, the number of votes that might actually switch because of this is miniscule, but the same is true of all VP considerations.
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2008, 05:50:28 PM by Simon LeBon »

It doesn't matter if they think he'll leave office before the term is up.  If Obama picks a running mate who's as old as McCain, he'll effectively be making the statement "No, McCain is *not* too old to be president" (otherwise, why would I be picking someone his age as my VP?)".  This might persuade some people into thinking "Gee, I guess McCain really isn't *that* old...."  Of course, the number of votes that might actually switch because of this is miniscule, but the same is true of all VP considerations.

I certainly see the logic, but I don't think that people expect the VP to be running the government (no more Cheneys Wink). If concensus was that Obama picked Celeste because he was setting him up for a run at the Presidency in 2016, then this could be a concern. I mean geez, George Mitchell is considered by some to be a contender for VP. He's certainly a stretch, but if we're looking at candidates based on their merits, I think someone like Celeste or Caperton have positives that override this issue. As long as they can still drive and walk on their own (with great facility), the Obama campaign is probably good with an older pick. And the people that think McCain is too old probably wouldn't vote for him anyway. Have there been polls on this?

Also, I think we've got to think out of the box. A lot of the "younger" VP options seem rather weak to me - with the exception of Schweitzer.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 05:57:11 PM »

I certainly see the logic, but I don't think that people expect the VP to be running the government (no more Cheneys Wink).

I don't think we're that far apart on this, and I agree that Obama might pick an older running mate, and that other considerations might override this issue.  But, to clarify, part of the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter if people "expect" Obama to leave office early or if people expect the VP to run the government.  The standard line that presidential candidates always make is that they're picking someone who *could* take over as president if the need arose, so whoever Obama picks, the implicit message he's sending is "This person could run the governement if the need arose".
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »

I disagree, it's going to be an under-the-table issue for the Obama campaign.  There are clearly a lot of voters who are uncomfortable with McCain's age and it's a legitimate health issue.  There's no point in Obama looking ageist (looks bad when he's appealing to older voters) and McCain can spin back any direct mentions of age with youthful witty remarks.  But if Obama picks someone that age, it makes it seem like age is less important.

It'd be as if McCain chose a black running mate.  Now all the apolitical racists (more than one would suspect exist and are registered) are more free to vote towards their inclination.  Ageism has more rational health reasons than racism, but I think it's about the same as far as understanding the impact of an elderly Democratic VP goes.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

Top Three

Obama:
Schwietzer
Sebelius
Easley

McCain:
Romney
Sarah P(Gov of AK) I don't remember how to spell last name
Jindal
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »

My VP Shortlist:

John McCain:

Romney
Crist
Sanford

Barack Obama:

Easley
Biden
Rockefeller
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »

in reality, obama's short list should only consist of one name:  mark warner.  he is the perfect pick.

1. he would almost certainly lock up virginia
2.  he would probably help among rural voters nationwide
3.  he is pro-business, which is refreshing...since obama is about half a communist.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »

in reality, obama's short list should only consist of one name:  mark warner.  he is the perfect pick.

3.  he is pro-business, which is refreshing...since obama is about half a communist.

Your so good for comedic relief, you know.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2008, 07:53:52 PM »

I listened to a Sibelius speech, sort of. She put everyone to sleep including myself. She had nothing to say, except some partisan mutterings. She also has an abortion doctor thingie percolating. I don't know if there is anything there, but it's there.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »

Is this a joke?  I can't tell with you.  I don't mean to demean your points, I'll respond to the first two if it's serious.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »

Is this a joke?  I can't tell with you.  I don't mean to demean your points, I'll respond to the first two if it's serious.

completely serious
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »

completely serious

Too bad Warner said he didn't want to be VP.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 10:20:51 PM »

My Obama shortlist would be:

Biden
Bayh
Kaine
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 10:31:08 PM »

Barack Obama:

Senator Joe Biden of Delaware
Governor Mike Easley of North Carolina
Senator Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia
Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas
Senator Jim Webb of Virginia
Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana*

John McCain:

Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina*
Governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota
Governor Charlie Crist of Florida
Congressman Mike Pence of Indiana
Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut

NOTE: Asterix denotes who I would select if I was the Chairperson of Barack Obama's or John McCain's Vice Presidential search team. However, knowing them they would select some random unknown to "balance" the ticket, such as Congressman Rob Portman of Ohio for McCain or Congressman Earl Pomeroy of North Dakota for Barack Obama. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies