My VP Shortlist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  My VP Shortlist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: My VP Shortlist  (Read 8275 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »
« edited: July 08, 2008, 06:10:11 PM by Kevin »

Here is my shortlist for both Senator's McCain and Obama in choosing a running mate.

Vice Presidental Canidates for Senator McCain
Mitt Romney
Bobby Jindal(maybe)
Mark Sanford
Jon Huntsman
Tim Pawlenty
Meg Whitman

Vice Presidental Canidates for Senator Obama
Mike Easley
Blanche Lincoln
Even Bayh
Joe Biden(Maybe)
John Breaux
Ed Rendell
Ron Wyden
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »

Is this who you would have them put on their shortlists if you were advising them or who you think is actually on their shortlists (if a shortlist even exists yet)?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »

Is this who you would have them put on their shortlists if you were advising them or who you think is actually on their shortlists (if a shortlist even exists yet)?

Yeah kind of.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »

Yeah kind of.

Ummm....that was an either/or question, not yes/no.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »

My advisory shortlists:

John McCain (in no particular order)Sad
Governor Bobb Jindal (LA)
Governor Mark Sanford (SC)
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX)
Governor Jon Huntsman (UT)
Senator Judd Gregg (NH)
Senator John Thune (SD)
Governor Tim Pawlenty (MN)
Senator Joe Lieberman (CT)

Barack Obama (in no particular order)Sad
Senator Blanche Lincoln (AR)
Senator Bill Nelson (FL)
Governor Phil Bredesen (TN)
Governor Mike Easley (NC)
Governor Tim Kaine (VA)
Governor Ed Rendell (PA)
Senator Evan Bayh (IN)
Governor Bill Richardson (NM)
Governor Kathleen Sebelius (KS)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »

I think that McCain has to pick Garrison Porter if he's to have any chance at electoral victory. Tongue
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »

My advisory shortlists:

John McCain (in no particular order)Sad
Governor Bobb Jindal (LA)
Governor Mark Sanford (SC)
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX)
Governor Jon Huntsman (UT)
Senator Judd Gregg (NH)
Senator John Thune (SD)
Governor Tim Pawlenty (MN)
Senator Joe Lieberman (CT)

Barack Obama (in no particular order)Sad
Senator Blanche Lincoln (AR)
Senator Bill Nelson (FL)
Governor Phil Bredesen (TN)
Governor Mike Easley (NC)
Governor Tim Kaine (VA)
Governor Ed Rendell (PA)
Senator Evan Bayh (IN)
Governor Bill Richardson (NM)
Governor Kathleen Sebelius (KS)

I'm really surprised no one really has mentioned Blanche Lincoln yet?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

The whole female-from-Arkansas thing is going to eliminate her, she'd be the ultimate snub to Clinton.  She does have a nice last name to go with Obama's, Obama's team loves that sort of stuff.

What does Rob Wyden bring to the ticket besides being a West Cost, pro-gay marriage, anti-death penalty, Jewish, safe-state liberal?
bkey
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: 2.96

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:16:01 PM »

McCain:
Mitt Romney
Tim Pawlenty
Mark Sanford
Bobby Jindall

Obama:
Evan Bayh
Joe Biden
Mike Easley
Bill Richardson

and add John Thume for McCain.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »

The whole female-from-Arkansas thing is going to eliminate her, she'd be the ultimate snub to Clinton.  She does have a nice last name to go with Obama's, Obama's team loves that sort of stuff.

What does Rob Wyden bring to the ticket besides being a West Cost, pro-gay marriage, anti-death penalty, Jewish, safe-state liberal?

Wayden comes across as quite a moderate if you look at his record, and he coud help in Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado.   
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:06 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2008, 07:36:48 PM by MarkWarner08 »

Wayden comes across as quite a moderate if you look at his record, and he coud help in Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado.   
I've seen Wyden in action, and while he's a think in the Daniel Patrick Moynihan mold (look at his health care and tax plans) he's also quite a poor public speaker. His brand of Portland liberalism won't really help Obama outside of Boulder or Denver in Colorado.

Overall, that seems like a solid list. I'd guess that at least four of those names (Pawlenty, Romney, Sanford, Huntsman) for McCain are on his short list.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:45:43 PM »

I'm putting my money on either Romney or Sanford for Micky C and Biden or Easley for the Big O.
MatthewZD
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -1.04

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »

My short lists for the candidates.

For Obama --

former Sen. Sam Nunn
Sen. Joe Biden
Gov. Bill Richardson
Sen. Blanche Lincoln
former Gen. Wesley Clark

If Obama has a weakness, it's in military or foreign affairs.  Four of these fill that gap.  One also has executive branch experience.  I never thought of Lincoln but she could be an intriguing choice.  As for what the Clintons think, the heck with them.  As the presumptive nominee, Obama is pretty much in charge of the party now. 

For McCain --

former Gov. Mitt Romney
Rep. Eric Cantor
Gov. Mark Sanford
former Sen. Bill Frist
Rep Marsha Blackburn

Various reasons for each.  Romney and Cantor for economic expertise (Cantor's on Ways and Means), Sanford and Frist as someone who could step in as President, Blackburn to add excitement to the ticket.  All, I think, would help shore up the base without alienating moderates the way someone like Huckabee might. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »

marsha blackburn is creepy.  i dont know if it his her stepford wife persona or her right wing views or a combination of both that weird me out.

hey maybe william cohen is on both short lists.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 09:15:47 AM »

How about these other VP canidates for both McCain and Obama

Senator McCain
Charlie Crist
Tom Ridge
Meg Whitman
David Peteraus(Maybe)

Senator Obama
Brian Schweitzer
Anthony Zinni
Bob Casey
Bill Nelson

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 11:22:30 AM »

No way would Patreaus fly, he would make McCain look even more warlike and even less about the economy.  McCain's argument to have a general at the helm would require him refuting his own argument that the surge has succeeded and the war is winding down.

Bob Casey is inexperienced (elected what, two years ago?) and pro-life, choosing him would be obviously a pandering political decision for Pennsylvania since there is no other reason why Obama would choose him, meaning Obama is being a "traditional" cheesy politician with the most important decision he could possibly make.  His being pro-life will piss off a lot of women who are already ruffled by Hillary's loss.  Obama has to be undeniably committed to women's issues to minimize defections.

Obama/Zinni sounds funny and it sounds like the general Obama is most interested in is Jim Jones, but I don't have much else against the guy.  He did endorse Bush in 2000, showing some 'error in judgment' if nothing else.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 11:30:03 AM »

How about these other VP canidates for both McCain and Obama

Bill Nelson

Hmm. I hate the idea of him as VP, but it doesn't make it a bad idea. He's the ultimate in safe picks, inoffensive, too old to be threatening, unexciting, has a tough guy entry on his resume, and of course, from Florida. It does mean sacrificing a Senate seat, though.

On second thought, forget it. He did his best to boost Hillary and make Obama's life hell during the Florida delegate credentialing mess.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:08:49 PM »

Obama/Zinni sounds funny and it sounds like the general Obama is most interested in is Jim Jones, but I don't have much else against the guy.  He did endorse Bush in 2000, showing some 'error in judgment' if nothing else.

Jones has appeared at both McCain and Obama events, and is said to be "close" to McCain.  Firstread called him "the new Mike Bloomberg":

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/26/1169349.aspx

I still think Zinni is somewhat more likely as an Obama running mate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »

Jones has also appeared at Obama events and was the only general in the leaked list right before Jim Johnson got sacked (partially, we can presume, for not keeping a lid on the list, and partially for his Countrywide connections).
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »

With regard to Senator Obama, I still maintain my belief that an older, white man with a solid grasp of foreign policy is his wisest move.  This can be a mainstream liberal or a conservative Democrat, but it cannot be a far left liberal or a New Englander.  That leaves out Jack Reed and John Kerry, both of whom I like a lot.

Joe Biden fits.  Sam Nunn fits.  Dick Gephardt fits.  The knock on the latter two is that they are too old.  And that Obama will then be unable to claim McCain is too old.  But I have yet to hear Obama say that, though many of his idiot supporters think it's worth bringing up ad infinitum. Unfortunately for them, McCain is old...but in good health and possessive of a sound, if unspectacular mind.  So I really don't think it hurts Obama to choose an older man.  In fact, it serves him well because his youth and inexperience give many Americans  -- even some Democrats -- pause.  Independents and moderate Republicans had the same qualms about one-term Governor George W. Bush.  But when he added Dick Cheney to the ticket, people felt he had the right guy to turn to for advice. (This was pre-9/11 of course and while some of us had clues as to how downright evil Cheney could be, his grandfatherly image and his wise handling of the first Persian Gulf War left many "on the fence" voters in a reasonable comfort zone with voting R in 2000.)  That is what Obama needs now. 

Biden and Nunn are the guys to add that to the ticket.  Why not Gephardt?  Well, I thought he would be great -- until one of you reminded me that he actually drafted the Iraq War resolution.  Unless he offers a major, very public mea culpa, his presence on the Obama ticket would look incongruous.  And that's being generous.

Biden keeps getting flak for a variety of things.  His Neil Kinnock ripoff is ancient history and he has owned it, apologized and moved on.  But does he mouth off and bloviate too much?  Probably.  Yet after his "neat, clean and articulate" gaffe very early in the primary...whoever "handled" him had him striking exactly the right balance. Remember the one debate question where he was asked about his tendancy to being long-winded and wonkish?  He answered the question with one word and got a long laugh and round of applause from the audience. Approaching this tendancy with the right mix of good humor and learned restraint could be very effective.  And remember, the VP is the attack dog.  Biden can do that and do it well.

Personally, I think the only legitimate knock on Sam Nunn is that he isn't an attack dog, he's a teddy bear.  But otherwise, I like him on the ticket and more -- I think he'd make a solid President if, God forbid, that became necessary.

The others?  Evan Bayh is young like Obama and we'd lose his seat in the Senate to a Republican.  He's beloved in the Hoosier State, but not enough to win it for Democrats. 

Ted Strickland is a GREAT IDEA because he has some foreign policy experience from his time in the House.  He helps in southern Ohio and could be an example of someone who might swing a state for a candidate.  But he has ruled himself out. You will have to decide if that means he's really out or if he would reluctantly take the job.  I can tell you that his Lt. Governor, for whom a relative works as an advisor, would love for Strickland to take the job...LOL. 

I like Bill Nelson.  A lot.  A liberal, but not too far left.  An astronaut and a former military man.  But can he be an attack dog?  You Floridians know him best.  My take is that he's too "nice".  And with Florida a likely, if not solid, McCain state, I don't see how Nelson helps.  The question is, would he help nationally...calming some independent nerves over Obama's inexperience?

Please don't promote Bill Richardson any more.  He's my biggest disappointment from the primary.  Lackluster doesn't begin to describe his campaign performance.  Piss-poor would aptly characterize his speechmaking and debate showings.  I can't agree enough that his resume is impressive and his performance in various jobs -- Congressman, Governor, UN Ambassador -- has been good.  But if your campaign skill reminds people of Jim Stockdale during the 1992 Perot campaign, it's not a good sign.

Everyone else has either said no thanks or comes with a significant liability.  Edwards failed once already.  Sebelius looks like a pander and is a terrible speaker.  McCaskill is just as inexperienced as Obama. Wes Clark has taken himself out of the running by saying something really, really stupid. Eddie Rendell may or may not be corrupt, but ask any Pennsylvania Republican and they'll say he is.  He's also a fat guy, like me.  And there are more than a few politicial advisors who say no one who is obese can win a national race in these days of television.  Fair? Not at all.  But probably true.

Have I missed anyone?  Yeah, I know.  Hillary Rodham Clinton.  And I don't have an adequate answer for that, except that I think she would much rather be Senate Majority Leader, Attorney General, UN Ambassador or even possibly Supreme Court Justice. And my guess is she and Obama have already talked about that.

So that leaves Biden.  And Nunn.  At least in terms of "on the radar" names who balance Obama in terms of being foreign policy wonks, older and more experienced, yet not too liberal or too "elitist".  Most of the governors have no serious foreign policy experience.   Mark Pryor, like Obama, is pretty youngish.  He's a portly fellow and he probably has been too friendly to the Bush administration on the Iraq War and on matters like habeus corpus and torture. Senator Webb and former Governor Warner have taken themselves out of the running, like Strickland. Warner also suffers from a lack of foreign policy gravitas.

"Off the radar" names could include an anti-Iraq War general or admiral.  Or a member of the House of Representatives with a good foreign policy or military resume.  But don't count on former Admiral and current Congressman Joe Sestak.  He's known for having a temper that would make John McCain blush. The point about Anthony Zinni's last name seeming a bit too "vowelish" after the name "Obama" is silly on an intelligent, deeper level.  But face it, it has merit in our current, shallow culture.

I also reject suggestions that Obama will cross party lines and snag a Republican like Richard Lugar or Chuck Hagel.  Both are so conservative on social issues as to irk too many Democrats...even some conservative Democrats. But I do maintain that either, or both, could be a natural cabinet choice.  Say, Lugar for Secretary of State and Hagel for either D-O-D or Veterans affairs.

Have I missed anyone? 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »

Daschle
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »

I was trying to forget.  ;-)

Well, as far as I can see -- there's nothing to be gained.  Daschle is a failed candidate in South Dakota, so I think it would be unwise to choose him.  It would be rather like McCain tapping Connie Burns or George Allen.  Hey -- Burns & Allen -- whaddya know?  Say g'night, Gracie...
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 07:56:07 PM »

I was trying to forget.  ;-)

Well, as far as I can see -- there's nothing to be gained.  Daschle is a failed candidate in South Dakota, so I think it would be unwise to choose him.  It would be rather like McCain tapping Connie Burns or George Allen.  Hey -- Burns & Allen -- whaddya know?  Say g'night, Gracie...

That's my question? Why would Daschle be even seriously considered?   
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »

Daschle is close to Obama, and Obama-world is filled with former Daschle people.  He's an air force veteran with many years of experience in Washington, which would help balance out Obama's lack of experience.  Not saying I think those things are the most important considerations, but that would be the rationale.  Of course, whether you consider him depends on whether you think "he lost his most recent statewide election" is disqualifying or not.
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »

How about Dick Celeste?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Celeste
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies