My VP Shortlist (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:45:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  My VP Shortlist (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My VP Shortlist  (Read 8345 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: July 08, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »

The whole female-from-Arkansas thing is going to eliminate her, she'd be the ultimate snub to Clinton.  She does have a nice last name to go with Obama's, Obama's team loves that sort of stuff.

What does Rob Wyden bring to the ticket besides being a West Cost, pro-gay marriage, anti-death penalty, Jewish, safe-state liberal?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:22:30 AM »

No way would Patreaus fly, he would make McCain look even more warlike and even less about the economy.  McCain's argument to have a general at the helm would require him refuting his own argument that the surge has succeeded and the war is winding down.

Bob Casey is inexperienced (elected what, two years ago?) and pro-life, choosing him would be obviously a pandering political decision for Pennsylvania since there is no other reason why Obama would choose him, meaning Obama is being a "traditional" cheesy politician with the most important decision he could possibly make.  His being pro-life will piss off a lot of women who are already ruffled by Hillary's loss.  Obama has to be undeniably committed to women's issues to minimize defections.

Obama/Zinni sounds funny and it sounds like the general Obama is most interested in is Jim Jones, but I don't have much else against the guy.  He did endorse Bush in 2000, showing some 'error in judgment' if nothing else.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »

Jones has also appeared at Obama events and was the only general in the leaked list right before Jim Johnson got sacked (partially, we can presume, for not keeping a lid on the list, and partially for his Countrywide connections).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:05 PM »

Celeste has a very broad range of experience that covers foreign relations (ambassador, member of Council on Foreign Relations), economics (establishing a consulting firm), military/security (sits on various boards including Independent Strategic Assessment Group, co-chair of Homeland Security Porject), health care (was in charge of DNC's health care plan in '93), and public service (director of the Peace Corps).  But he'll be almost 71 on election day and I don't know, he might look even older than McCain.  The age issue is a big one.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »

I disagree, it's going to be an under-the-table issue for the Obama campaign.  There are clearly a lot of voters who are uncomfortable with McCain's age and it's a legitimate health issue.  There's no point in Obama looking ageist (looks bad when he's appealing to older voters) and McCain can spin back any direct mentions of age with youthful witty remarks.  But if Obama picks someone that age, it makes it seem like age is less important.

It'd be as if McCain chose a black running mate.  Now all the apolitical racists (more than one would suspect exist and are registered) are more free to vote towards their inclination.  Ageism has more rational health reasons than racism, but I think it's about the same as far as understanding the impact of an elderly Democratic VP goes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »

in reality, obama's short list should only consist of one name:  mark warner.  he is the perfect pick.

1. he would almost certainly lock up virginia
2.  he would probably help among rural voters nationwide
3.  he is pro-business, which is refreshing...since obama is about half a communist.

Is this a joke?  I can't tell with you.  I don't mean to demean your points, I'll respond to the first two if it's serious.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:16 PM »

Instant Karma - Webb effectively took himself out of the running like Strickland did, saying that he would not accept if offered.

Also, why not Kent Conrad if Obama is hunting for experienced chaps from North Dakota?  He's pretty popular there and was one of the few Democratic senators to oppose the Iraq war from the start.  Otherwise, and with the possible exception of Rockefeller (West Virginia is the definition of a bad state for Obama and he doesn't need a last name after his that screams "insider political family" that badly), I agree with your list and your two choices for each.  Those are the two I would select if I was in charge of each campaign.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 05:18:08 AM »

Yay! I feel so delighted that somebody agrees with my Vice Presidential shortlists and selections for Barack Obama and John McCain respectively. I never knew I could have much influence Tongue.

I'd also put a lot of money on Reed and Huntsman because I"m sure the house is underbetting them.  Although these are all great candidates, the board tends to overemphasizing candidates like Webb/Strickland/Biden/Sebelius and Sanford/Crist/Pawlenty and under emphasize Reed/Schweitzer/Conrad/Jones and Thune/Hunstman/Portman/etc.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 12:25:55 PM »

They all [mostly] say they're not interested.  There's no flip-flop required for accepting at this point.  I wouldn't count him out yet, he might have been asked by Obama's team to say he's not being vetted (along with other potential dark horse candidates) while the obvious ones are free to talk about their vetting process.

But yeah, his odds in my book just went down.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies