My VP Shortlist (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:15:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  My VP Shortlist (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My VP Shortlist  (Read 8412 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« on: July 11, 2008, 10:31:08 PM »

Barack Obama:

Senator Joe Biden of Delaware
Governor Mike Easley of North Carolina
Senator Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia
Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas
Senator Jim Webb of Virginia
Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana*

John McCain:

Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina*
Governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota
Governor Charlie Crist of Florida
Congressman Mike Pence of Indiana
Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut

NOTE: Asterix denotes who I would select if I was the Chairperson of Barack Obama's or John McCain's Vice Presidential search team. However, knowing them they would select some random unknown to "balance" the ticket, such as Congressman Rob Portman of Ohio for McCain or Congressman Earl Pomeroy of North Dakota for Barack Obama. 
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 02:22:54 AM »

Instant Karma - Webb effectively took himself out of the running like Strickland did, saying that he would not accept if offered.

How could I forget? Thanks Lunar for picking that up Smiley. However, I wouldn't be surprised even if the Obama camp has kept Webb on their shortlist, despite Webb withdrawing his name from contention. Although I might sound dazed and confused, I really wouldn't be surprised if Webb is still on the list.

Also, why not Kent Conrad if Obama is hunting for experienced chaps from North Dakota?  He's pretty popular there and was one of the few Democratic senators to oppose the Iraq war from the start.  Otherwise, and with the possible exception of Rockefeller (West Virginia is the definition of a bad state for Obama and he doesn't need a last name after his that screams "insider political family" that badly).

I added Jay Rockefeller on Obama's list primarily to bring much needed experience to the ticket an Obama led ticket. Although I doubt Rockefeller's name is currently on Barack Obama's Vice Presidential shortlist, Rockefeller in a sense would have been the perfect choice for some. Not because of Senator Rockefeller's vast experience as Governor of West Virginia and Senator from West Virginia but also politically, as he is seen more so moderate than Barack Obama, thus I feel he would have been a good selection for Obama.

However, as you said Lunar, Obama does not need a running mate who's last name screams "political insider". If Obama did select Rockefeller as his running mate it would cause a fair bit of controversy because of it, thus Rockefeller is probably not on Obama's Vice Presidential shortlist because of it. Though numerous other factors could contribute to Rockefeller's name not on the shortlist.

I agree with your list and your two choices for each.  Those are the two I would select if I was in charge of each campaign.

Yay! I feel so delighted that somebody agrees with my Vice Presidential shortlists and selections for Barack Obama and John McCain respectively. I never knew I could have much influence Tongue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies