Who do you see as America's biggest threat in the years and decades to come?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 08:58:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who do you see as America's biggest threat in the years and decades to come?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Who do you see as America's biggest threat in the years and decades to come?  (Read 9525 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »

As I stated earlier, I think Russia is our biggest threat, if not directly, but indirectly by supporting our enemies and arming them under the table.

I agree with BushOklahoma in that I welcome different cultures and religions.  My first theology professor at school (a priest at a monastery) believed wholeheartedly that all the faithful would go to heaven.  The idea is that none are denied heaven if they choose to seek it... even after death... which is the point of praying for those that have recently died.

He believed that you were in the darkness upon death, and if you were a faithful believer in life, God's light would be apparent and you would immediately go towards it, but that for those that were not faithful and evil in life, the light would be very dim and far away... and that you would spend eternity seeking the light and never finding it.. which is hell. 

It is the main purpose of All Saints Day.. to pray for all souls that they might find God.

Then again, I also sat through mass with a priest that told me I could take communion even though I'm not Catholic and he basically blessed a bottle of wine he got at the grocery store and split up a kaiser roll...

So, yeah.. it was a liberal Monastery.  (but one of hte largest in the world, with 180 monks)

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »

The budget deficit.
Applezz
applemanmat
Rookie
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

the biggest threat is Iran. China has no problem with us. The North Korean threat has ended. Iran just tested their missiles. Israel will attack them within the next year, and the US will help them in World War 3.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »

Russia will, if we keep antagonizing them, they'll push back.

But I agree, the biggest thing that will destroy us is ourselves. I wonder how different we'd be if many more cared about the Constitution.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2008, 08:35:54 PM »

the biggest threat is Iran. China has no problem with us. The North Korean threat has ended. Iran just tested their missiles. Israel will attack them within the next year, and the US will help them in World War 3.

So you see an October Surprise?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »

Why not? Given Governor Bush's taste for arab blood and his militarism combined with his spineless lackeys in congress such is entirely plausible.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »

The only context Russia merits being listed here is as a "swing state" of diplomacy.  If they're pushed over to the Islamo-Chinese camp then we lose a great deal of influence and standing in Asia and the world.  Conversely they could stand as a great bulwark against Islamo-Chinese power.

But the notion they are the greatest direct threat is preposterous.  Their population is spiraling down, and thus will follow their military and (once the oil runs out or is no longer relevant) economic might.  Unless they're sucessful in rekindling Pan-Slavic feelings and rebuilding the old empire they won't be able to stand against us alone.  As far as their nukes go, it's much more likely that one of theirs gets stolen by a terrorist agency and used against us rather than them beaming them up via one of their own missiles.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »

So Bush wants Obama to win with over 400 EVs?

Why not? Given Governor Bush's taste for arab blood and his militarism combined with his spineless lackeys in congress such is entirely plausible.

Iranians != Arab.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »

Just like the way Kerry won with over 400 EVs?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »

Just like the way Kerry won with over 400 EVs?

Not even remotely comparable.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2008, 08:05:33 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2008, 08:07:49 PM by Hantytown »

I think our own country is our own threat. There are simply too many cultural and economic rivalries for the U.S. to sustain domestic tranquility. I also don't see a single country being a threat, but rather a collective of countries that could go against us because of some phuck up that has to do with emerging social and economic issues. In reality, Iraq might be the wave of the future, with battlefields being drawn by religious, social, political and economic lines, rather than by national lines.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2008, 11:05:30 PM »

Ourselves.
Hey BushOklahoma what are your views of the coming nonwhite majority in the US and of the very soon ending of the protestant majority(a few years ago some study showed the US as 52% protestant and with immigration/all the scandals..)?

I welcome the nonwhite majority in the USA, as I look beyond race and ethnicity, though I am very saddened by the lack of Christian fundamentals and values in this nation.  (not fundamentalists, but fundamentals), and that is aimed at protestants, catholics, and non-believers.  That is aimed at myself, too.

I believe in the SOCAS (separation of church and state), but that shouldn't stop our leaders from consulting their God in how best to govern this nation.  They don't have to, and should not, wear their religion on their sleeve and force it down everyone's throat, but they do need to PRIVATELY consult their God in the governing of this nation.  That goes for ALL nations and ALL leaders, not just the United States and her President.  There is nothing wrong with our President or members of Congress, Republican or Democrat, privately praying and asking his God what to do next.

So, to better answer your question, I welcome with exceeding joy the multiple ethnicities and cultures, but I loathe and am deeply saddened by the lack of Christian ideals in this country, not necessarily protestant ideals.

Thank you for the question!!!

What do you think about Jews and Muslims in this country who have virtually similar values as Christians, but a different religion in name?

I accept them as well!!  I prefer Christianity and will try to proclaim Christ's name insofar as possible, but I do like most of the values of Judaism and Islam for they are very similar to Christian ideals.

I'm very glad you are not close minded. I really appreciate when Americans are actually following the true meaning of this country: understanding rather than drawing false assumptions.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37:57 PM »

Creationists. They already want us to start teaching their irrational beliefs as an alternative to Darwin's Theory of Evolution. What if they got what they wanted? The idea makes me shudder.

Next, they would demand that we teach divine intervention as an alternative explanation to Newton's Theory of Gravity. The United States would be dragged into dead last in the world in Science, as Creationists block the teaching of scientific theory after scientific theory.

With the United States out of the way, Europe/India/Japan would lead the world into a new golden age. By the year 3000, Americans will live in mud huts, rediscovering innovations such as fire that they lost in their great race to destroy all technology. Meanwhile, everyone else will live in cities in the clouds, enjoying total peace & Dinosaur-like lifespans.

What? It's just as likely as the original post saying that Germany would cause World War III (& I hope just as tounge-in-cheek). Tongue
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »

BushOK, no one wants to see you leave the forum.

Personal attack - inappropriate language
It's amazing that Dave can't find the time to re-ban Jamespol but he has the time to pull this stunt
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »

Some might say Iran.  Some might say China.  Some might say N. Korea.  Some might even say ourselves.  All of those are big threats, no doubt, but I've got my eye on a country we've had trouble with before--GERMANY.

The reason I say Germany is our biggest threat is due to the Euro.  France and Germany were in cahoots in creating the Euro.  They created the Euro to force all the European nations to come under one currency so the Germans and the French could "currency-gouge" the rest of Europe and force them to break loose of the grip of the Euro.  Plus, in my opinion, Germany did not learn its lesson from World War II and the United States failed to completely stabilize the country mainly because stupidly got ourselves into a Pacific theater with Japan. (Japan wasn't our biggest enemy in WW2, we made them our biggest enemy.)  If America had done things right like befriend Japan (they wanted to be our friend in the late 1930s), we may have been able to avoid Pearl Harbor.  Since Pearl Harbor happened our focus had to mainly shift out to the Pacific and thus the European theater ended a good 5 months before the Pacific theater.  We didn't treat the Germans with a whole lot of respect coming out WW2 and during the Cold War.  That's part of the reason they decided to initiate the Euro some 50 years after the suicide of Hitler.  I can very easily see another German attack on France in the coming years and I can see them linking arms with Italy again and plunge the world back into World War 3 in the next 10-15 years.

Iran's threat will diminish over time if we just stay out of the country.

China has too many laws against its own people to sustain their threat for 20-30 years, not too mention the pollution and the cigarette smoke is much worse than it is in America and that will eventually kill off a lot of the Chinese.

The North Korean threat is also diminishing.

I'll write more later...

Were you on drugs when you posted this?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »

That much obvious. Or playing too much Command & Conquer or something like that.

1) Germany attacks France.

2) France nukes Germany.

3) France wins World War III within two hours (although technically it wasn't much of a world war).

And YAY... Xahar and me indirectly managed to get this thread bumped after more than a year (see "Should NATO be disbanded?" thread for more).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2010, 11:12:08 AM »

That much obvious. Or playing too much Command & Conquer or something like that.

1) Germany attacks France.

2) France nukes Germany.

3) France wins World War III within two hours (although technically it wasn't much of a world war).

And YAY... Xahar and me indirectly managed to get this thread bumped after more than a year (see "Should NATO be disbanded?" thread for more).

You don't seriously think the original poster knows which countries have nuclear weapons, do you?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »

I would say China.

Better answer would be the American people and corporations.
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »

Ourselves.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2010, 07:02:51 PM »

Some might say Iran.  Some might say China.  Some might say N. Korea.  Some might even say ourselves.  All of those are big threats, no doubt, but I've got my eye on a country we've had trouble with before--GERMANY.

The reason I say Germany is our biggest threat is due to the Euro.  France and Germany were in cahoots in creating the Euro.  They created the Euro to force all the European nations to come under one currency so the Germans and the French could "currency-gouge" the rest of Europe and force them to break loose of the grip of the Euro.  Plus, in my opinion, Germany did not learn its lesson from World War II and the United States failed to completely stabilize the country mainly because stupidly got ourselves into a Pacific theater with Japan. (Japan wasn't our biggest enemy in WW2, we made them our biggest enemy.)  If America had done things right like befriend Japan (they wanted to be our friend in the late 1930s), we may have been able to avoid Pearl Harbor.  Since Pearl Harbor happened our focus had to mainly shift out to the Pacific and thus the European theater ended a good 5 months before the Pacific theater.  We didn't treat the Germans with a whole lot of respect coming out WW2 and during the Cold War.  That's part of the reason they decided to initiate the Euro some 50 years after the suicide of Hitler.  I can very easily see another German attack on France in the coming years and I can see them linking arms with Italy again and plunge the world back into World War 3 in the next 10-15 years.

Iran's threat will diminish over time if we just stay out of the country.

China has too many laws against its own people to sustain their threat for 20-30 years, not too mention the pollution and the cigarette smoke is much worse than it is in America and that will eventually kill off a lot of the Chinese.

The North Korean threat is also diminishing.

I'll write more later...

I wasn't on drugs, although at the time, i was posting from my dorm room at the computer camp in Atlanta and sick of junior high boys being well...  boys.  So, I wasn't thinking too clearly when this was posted, and I certainly don't believe it now.  I still don't think China is our biggest threat, though.  I agree with KeeptheChange that we are our own worst enemy.  If we keep borrowing money from China, they could eventually call us to account and we're in trouble.  Of course, it's weird now, but I've heard that Japan is becoming our biggest lender.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »

Economic conservatives and the debt.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2010, 10:59:01 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 11:02:28 PM by Frodo »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, although he and I might have slightly different reasons for saying so...  Tongue

As imperfect as it is, we live in a representative democracy in which the government is designed to match the dispositions of its citizens, and the more the electorate becomes polarized, so in turn would the federal government.  The American people like to complain about how dysfunctional their government is, and how little faith they have in their own institutions.  What they fail to realize (or choose to ignore) is that the government is dysfunctional because they themselves are dysfunctional.  If -for instance- the people cannot pluck up the will and courage to make sacrifices (i.e. tax increases and/or entitlement program spending cuts) on behalf of future generations by fighting to reduce the long-term national debt, then what in God's name can make anyone think that Congress is going to do so?  It takes adults to tackle an issue with the potential to sink the United States, and so far as I have seen there are precious few of them around -and every day there are less of them.  

We are the world's pre-eminent power -there are no external threats  (either individually or in combination) with enough potential and strength to bring down the United States.  This is a fact.  There is only one force in this world that has that kind of power -and it is us.  
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »

Obama - His policies are the single greatest threat to our nation.  He needs to be defeated immediately.  That snowstorm was the best thing to happen to Washington DC.  It delayed him from doing his daily damage.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2010, 06:24:11 AM »

Obama - His policies are the single greatest threat to our nation.  He needs to be defeated immediately.  That snowstorm was the best thing to happen to Washington DC.  It delayed him from doing his daily damage.

Yeah, before you know it we'll be a communist hellhole like France.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »

Having just spent the last 15/20 minutes reading through a load of crap on the forum community board, I can safely assure you that the general consensus seems to be that JSojourner is the biggest threat to America.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies