Who do you see as America's biggest threat in the years and decades to come?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:17:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who do you see as America's biggest threat in the years and decades to come?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Who do you see as America's biggest threat in the years and decades to come?  (Read 9520 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »

Some might say Iran.  Some might say China.  Some might say N. Korea.  Some might even say ourselves.  All of those are big threats, no doubt, but I've got my eye on a country we've had trouble with before--GERMANY.

The reason I say Germany is our biggest threat is due to the Euro.  France and Germany were in cahoots in creating the Euro.  They created the Euro to force all the European nations to come under one currency so the Germans and the French could "currency-gouge" the rest of Europe and force them to break loose of the grip of the Euro.  Plus, in my opinion, Germany did not learn its lesson from World War II and the United States failed to completely stabilize the country mainly because stupidly got ourselves into a Pacific theater with Japan. (Japan wasn't our biggest enemy in WW2, we made them our biggest enemy.)  If America had done things right like befriend Japan (they wanted to be our friend in the late 1930s), we may have been able to avoid Pearl Harbor.  Since Pearl Harbor happened our focus had to mainly shift out to the Pacific and thus the European theater ended a good 5 months before the Pacific theater.  We didn't treat the Germans with a whole lot of respect coming out WW2 and during the Cold War.  That's part of the reason they decided to initiate the Euro some 50 years after the suicide of Hitler.  I can very easily see another German attack on France in the coming years and I can see them linking arms with Italy again and plunge the world back into World War 3 in the next 10-15 years.

Iran's threat will diminish over time if we just stay out of the country.

China has too many laws against its own people to sustain their threat for 20-30 years, not too mention the pollution and the cigarette smoke is much worse than it is in America and that will eventually kill off a lot of the Chinese.

The North Korean threat is also diminishing.

I'll write more later...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:57:29 PM »

Obama.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:03:27 PM »

Israel, other ardent support of them is killing us now and will continue to do so
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:06:29 PM »

Israel, other ardent support of them is killing us now and will continue to do so
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »

Tajikistan.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:11:54 PM »

Malawi
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »

The FBI
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »

Ourselves.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 03:22:59 PM »

Iran.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »

Only if we keep up our helping Israel bullsh**t
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »

Holy One Track Mind Batman!  Israel?  It's laughable.

Russia will continue to be the answer to the OP.  Everybody else pales in comparison to the threat Russia poses to us.
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:46 PM »

I can see them linking arms with Italy again and plunge the world back into World War 3 in the next 10-15 years.

That's where you go off track. The worst Italy is capable of is beating up gypsies in the street, they're a shell of their former trouble-starting selves.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »

The nation that spies on us more than any other.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:51 PM »

the homosexuals.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 08:35:22 PM »

All of those are big threats, no doubt, but I've got my eye on a country we've had trouble with before--GERMANY.

The reason I say Germany is our biggest threat is due to the Euro.  France and Germany were in cahoots in creating the Euro.  They created the Euro to force all the European nations to come under one currency so the Germans and the French could "currency-gouge" the rest of Europe and force them to break loose of the grip of the Euro.  Plus, in my opinion, Germany did not learn its lesson from World War II and the United States failed to completely stabilize the country mainly because stupidly got ourselves into a Pacific theater with Japan. (Japan wasn't our biggest enemy in WW2, we made them our biggest enemy.)  If America had done things right like befriend Japan (they wanted to be our friend in the late 1930s), we may have been able to avoid Pearl Harbor.  Since Pearl Harbor happened our focus had to mainly shift out to the Pacific and thus the European theater ended a good 5 months before the Pacific theater.  We didn't treat the Germans with a whole lot of respect coming out WW2 and during the Cold War.  That's part of the reason they decided to initiate the Euro some 50 years after the suicide of Hitler.  I can very easily see another German attack on France in the coming years and I can see them linking arms with Italy again and plunge the world back into World War 3 in the next 10-15 years.

Mere words cannot express quite how utterly stupid the above post is.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »

All of those are big threats, no doubt, but I've got my eye on a country we've had trouble with before--GERMANY.

LOL.  No.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »

Mere words cannot express quite how utterly stupid the above post is.

Why not try? I want to see your rant countering his idea?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »

I think the Germans are more concerned with Fußball and Käsekrainer than attacking France and starting WW3.

I would say that the relationship between the U.S. and Russia is eroding and Putin represents the biggest threat to U.S. National Security (and this not only for the cool relations with Russia itself, but the disagreements in how Russia supports Iranian nuclear efforts)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 09:11:31 PM »

Russia.

China and the US are too linked economically to ever have major problems.  It just wouldn't make sense financially.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »

Internationally: Russia (or perhaps Pakistan if things fall apart there, in the sense that it could cause a global conflict).

Within the US: Libertarians/Limited government proponents. The idea of limiting government and trusting the free market scares the sh#t out of me, especially with the growing class divides that could lead to a dangerous division in America.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »

Hard to say.

China has the potential to be an irritant bordering on a threat as long as the current government is in power. If anything ever topples that government, which is entirely possible within a twenty year or so time frame, China has the potential to become a major threat, and certainly such instability in China would cause problems worldwide.

Russia seems devoted to being annoying, but Russia is no threat in any actual sense of the word. It's just full of corruption, incompetence, and leaders with egos the size of Mercury.

The EU has the potential to be an economic rival, but not a threat.

All other nations are either too small, too friendly, or too economically backward or else otherwise unimportant.

I don't really see a major threat, as in a military threat, to the United States in the medium-term (meaning within the next few decades). Then again, I will tell you that the US has not been seriously threatened since the 1980s, so you understand my usage of the word "threat".
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2008, 10:29:08 PM by Torie »

Unless the US dramatically improves its educational system, India and China will eat the US alive over the longer term, unless the US is able to continue to import the best and the brightest, which might become increasingly difficult as wage levels narrow for such talent. The rest of the planet is a distraction, irritating sometime, but in the end rather irrelevant as to this issue. Europe has decided more of less to commit demographic suicide. It's headed to theme park status.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »

Congratulations, you have made a post that has beaten everything DWTL and WalterMitty have posted for idiotic predictions. I second what Al said.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »

Internal Decay.  I'll also offer the tangible threat that is China, but if we lose our hegemony, it will only be because of our own degeneracy.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 11:32:56 PM »

Not China.  China is going to be so occupied managing the rapid changes their society is undergoing to pose a threat to anyone.  Besides, China's economic integration with the west means they would lose far too much if they created another Cold War.

Not Russia.  Russia is more corporation than country.  Their goal is to be the world's top resource exporter, not to be America's strategic rival.

Not the EU.  They have no interest in building the military required to challenge US dominance.  Besides, anti-American chic aside, they rather like the United States.

Actually, I think great power conflict is a thing of the past.  Economic integration means there is more to be gained by cooperating that by competing.

The main threat in the future will continue to be the various instabilities in the non-globalized world as they spill over into the west.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies